Advice for kuching trip

Apr11
Hi, kakis.. 

Me and my kakis will be going kuching on board Seaworld on 1/9/2018. I have checked the net for air tickets and found that MAS has one aftn flight and Air Asia has one flight in the morning. Which one do i go for? Which one will give us less hassle? Which one allows rod tubes and how are the charges gonna be? 

This will be our first time to kuching, any help/advice/info will be very much appreciated. Many many thank u.
  • btwk
     Most of us fly using Air Asia as the timing is better.  Both flights allows rod tube, however airasia handling is better than MAS.

    Most of the boats in kuching are productive for years. 
    Do bring along some jigs if you are jiggers & slow fall heaven there. 
    Jigging at night 40-120g. Brands that are my best records are ima gun 40-80g, shout shiver 100 & 120g.
    Slow jigging in the day, depending on current, 250 - 400g. 
    Casting can also be productive during slow nights. jackson pintail 40g. 
    Do bring along SABIKI size 16 if i never remember wrongly!! you will always get surprises.

    Anyway, listen to the deckies on boat as they are experts.   
  • EdLee
    For the past three years, all the Kuching trips organized by myself use Malaysia Airlines exclusively. If you book way ahead, you should be able to get good rates below $200. I believe one of my kakis book at $166 just yesterday. For 4 out of 5 trips, AirAsia turned out to be more expensive than a full fledged Malaysia Airlines. I have compared AirAsia against many other flights (Penang, KL etc) and MAS always end up giving me a better deal.

    When doing comparison, it is important to compare apple-to-apple. Try throwing in the extra like 30kg luggage and a simple meal, you will realize MAS come off cheaper. The seat - I find - is definitely more comfortable than AirAsia sardine can. I have never had an issue with luggage handling (thankfully) since AirAsia & MAS use the same ground airside company in Kuching. I have a pal who saw his rod tube being thrown out of his AirAsia flight in Bintulu. It isn't really the airlines that has direct control over that but rather - the airside company. Best policy - buy travel insurance even for a short 1hr flight.

    There is only one direct MAS flight per day and the noon flight is the only one.
  • Apr11
    btwk said:
     Most of us fly using Air Asia as the timing is better.  Both flights allows rod tube, however airasia handling is better than MAS.

    Most of the boats in kuching are productive for years. 
    Do bring along some jigs if you are jiggers & slow fall heaven there. 
    Jigging at night 40-120g. Brands that are my best records are ima gun 40-80g, shout shiver 100 & 120g.
    Slow jigging in the day, depending on current, 250 - 400g. 
    Casting can also be productive during slow nights. jackson pintail 40g. 
    Do bring along SABIKI size 16 if i never remember wrongly!! you will always get surprises.

    Anyway, listen to the deckies on boat as they are experts.   
    ​Thank u.
    Will definately do jigging, slow fall, baiting and also casting.., will also remember the sabikis.

    Once again, thank u.
  • Apr11
    EdLee said:
    For the past three years, all the Kuching trips organized by myself use Malaysia Airlines exclusively. If you book way ahead, you should be able to get good rates below $200. I believe one of my kakis book at $166 just yesterday. For 4 out of 5 trips, AirAsia turned out to be more expensive than a full fledged Malaysia Airlines. I have compared AirAsia against many other flights (Penang, KL etc) and MAS always end up giving me a better deal.

    When doing comparison, it is important to compare apple-to-apple. Try throwing in the extra like 30kg luggage and a simple meal, you will realize MAS come off cheaper. The seat - I find - is definitely more comfortable than AirAsia sardine can. I have never had an issue with luggage handling (thankfully) since AirAsia & MAS use the same ground airside company in Kuching. I have a pal who saw his rod tube being thrown out of his AirAsia flight in Bintulu. It isn't really the airlines that has direct control over that but rather - the airside company. Best policy - buy travel insurance even for a short 1hr flight.

    There is only one direct MAS flight per day and the noon flight is the only one.
    ​Thank u.
     Will defintely heed ur advice abt the insurance. Will also take ur experiences into consideration when discussing with my kakis abt the air tickets.
  • EdLee
    Apr11 said:
    EdLee said:
    For the past three years, all the Kuching trips organized by myself use Malaysia Airlines exclusively. If you book way ahead, you should be able to get good rates below $200. I believe one of my kakis book at $166 just yesterday. For 4 out of 5 trips, AirAsia turned out to be more expensive than a full fledged Malaysia Airlines. I have compared AirAsia against many other flights (Penang, KL etc) and MAS always end up giving me a better deal.

    When doing comparison, it is important to compare apple-to-apple. Try throwing in the extra like 30kg luggage and a simple meal, you will realize MAS come off cheaper. The seat - I find - is definitely more comfortable than AirAsia sardine can. I have never had an issue with luggage handling (thankfully) since AirAsia & MAS use the same ground airside company in Kuching. I have a pal who saw his rod tube being thrown out of his AirAsia flight in Bintulu. It isn't really the airlines that has direct control over that but rather - the airside company. Best policy - buy travel insurance even for a short 1hr flight.

    There is only one direct MAS flight per day and the noon flight is the only one.
    ​Thank u.
     Will defintely heed ur advice abt the insurance. Will also take ur experiences into consideration when discussing with my kakis abt the air tickets.
    ​Make sure read through the claims part, get only the insurance that covers sports equipment even if the amount is capped. Usually $300-$500 for sporting equipment. I dropped NTUC insurance long ago when it stopped covering fishing gears. Then I turned to AXA which I bought under SAFRA membership. You can find it on SAFRA website or you can get a friend who has SAFRA membership to get for you. Recently, I switched to annual travel insurance plan under FWD since I am travelling a lot more for work and fishing. Fishing gears are covered. :)
  • Apr11
    Thank you all.

    One more thing.......
    I know its a grey area and nothing is fixed but just need to know.., how much(roughly) and when to give tips to the captain and deckies? Before trip or end of trip? 
  • EdLee
    edited January 8
    Apr11 said:
    Thank you all.

    One more thing.......
    I know its a grey area and nothing is fixed but just need to know.., how much(roughly) and when to give tips to the captain and deckies? Before trip or end of trip? 
    ​Depends on your organizer. For my trips, usually MYR100-200/angler contributed to pool tips and shared among the Cpt/deckies. If the catch is exceptionally good, tips can be higher. For us Singaporeans, contributing MYR100-200 isn't alot of money in SGD sense. Considering most boats have a minimum of 2 deckies (some boats 3 deckies with an engineer) so you can roughly estimate how much you need to collect from each angler.

    When it comes to tips amount, there is really no standard market rate. It's more about what you guys are comfortable with. I usually decide the amount on the last day - not only on catch volume. I also consider all the hospitality and sea conditions they have to work through. Say, in one of my trips there was a terrible storm and even though the catch rate wasn't fantastic, but these guys work in dangerous conditions to keep us well taken care of. It's doesn't hurt to give a little more tips for them.

    Tips is given only at end of trip. I split the pool amount, start going to each crew member and hand it to them personally one-by-one. This is to avoid any dispute among the crew who gets what. If I hand it to you, it means it's really for you and only you.

    Here's a typical arrangement for my trips;

    Collection
    Pool Fund - MYR$150/angler (12 anglers total MYR1,800)

    Expenditure
    Grocery/Tidbits/Drinks - MYR500-600
    (This is already alot to consume unless you guys are buying all scallops or tiger prawns or steaks to cook onboard. My trips usually see about MYR500-600 on grocery shopping and we barely finished everything)

    Balance - MYR1200 (assuming you spend MYR600 on grocery)
    Deckie Tips - MYR 200 x 3 crew
    Cpt Tips - MYR 300 x 1 Cpt

    In all my trips, I still end up with balance to distribute back to each angler. Small amount though. In one trip, the balance is negligible that we gave all the balance to the crew as tips.
  • monstrad

    if u take airasia, u will go direct to boat after grocery shopping, last night will be hotel stay

    if u take mas, first night will be hotel stay, the next morning go boat, last day go airport(no hotel)

  • Apr11
    EdLee said:
    Apr11 said:
    Thank you all.

    One more thing.......
    I know its a grey area and nothing is fixed but just need to know.., how much(roughly) and when to give tips to the captain and deckies? Before trip or end of trip? 
    ​Depends on your organizer. For my trips, usually MYR100-200/angler contributed to pool tips and shared among the Cpt/deckies. If the catch is exceptionally good, tips can be higher. For us Singaporeans, contributing MYR100-200 isn't alot of money in SGD sense. Considering most boats have a minimum of 2 deckies (some boats 3 deckies with an engineer) so you can roughly estimate how much you need to collect from each angler.

    When it comes to tips amount, there is really no standard market rate. It's more about what you guys are comfortable with. I usually decide the amount on the last day - not only on catch volume. I also consider all the hospitality and sea conditions they have to work through. Say, in one of my trips there was a terrible storm and even though the catch rate wasn't fantastic, but these guys work in dangerous conditions to keep us well taken care of. It's doesn't hurt to give a little more tips for them.

    Tips is given only at end of trip. I split the pool amount, start going to each crew member and hand it to them personally one-by-one. This is to avoid any dispute among the crew who gets what. If I hand it to you, it means it's really for you and only you.

    Here's a typical arrangement for my trips;

    Collection
    Pool Fund - MYR$150/angler (12 anglers total MYR1,800)

    Expenditure
    Grocery/Tidbits/Drinks - MYR500-600
    (This is already alot to consume unless you guys are buying all scallops or tiger prawns or steaks to cook onboard. My trips usually see about MYR500-600 on grocery shopping and we barely finished everything)

    Balance - MYR1200 (assuming you spend MYR600 on grocery)
    Deckie Tips - MYR 200 x 3 crew
    Cpt Tips - MYR 300 x 1 Cpt

    In all my trips, I still end up with balance to distribute back to each angler. Small amount though. In one trip, the balance is negligible that we gave all the balance to the crew as tips.
    ​Many many thanks, Sir. U really helped a lot. Tight lines and once again, thank you.
  • Apr11
    monstrad said:

    if u take airasia, u will go direct to boat after grocery shopping, last night will be hotel stay

    if u take mas, first night will be hotel stay, the next morning go boat, last day go airport(no hotel)

    ​I see.., i understand what u mean.., thank u.
TRIPS
© Copyright 2016
All times are UTC