Need permit for inflatable non-motorised boat?

Caroline95738
Hi kakis!

I just bought a inflatable boat, planning to use it in reservoirs and also shallow sea close to the coastline. It is mainly for fun, not gonna use it in deep sea lol cos too dangerous. Then I saw this:

https://www.google.com.sg/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi7s7Sk-bvXAhUG148KHbMXDZsQFggmMAA&url=https://www.pub.gov.sg/Documents/Vessel%20and%20Water%20Activities%20Guidelines%20(Website)%252018%2520March%25202016.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0KhKZpvqbD37IkbAN7wSUx

So do we need permit or not ah? I click on their link to apply permit but 404 page not found leh.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Inflatable is like a Kayak, no need a license. 

You can't bring it on the reservoir.

• oceanus
    edited November 14
    Like Luke has mentioned, you don't need a license, but there are some guidelines listed in the Circular No.11 of 2011 by Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) that you should follow.

In short, you can paddle almost anywhere in Singapore waters (Sea) other than the restricted zones mentioned in the Circular, and it should be done in the daytime. All personnel must where suitable personal flotation device. Check out the URLs as follows.

http://www.mpa.gov.sg/web/portal/home/port-of-singapore/circulars-and-notices/detail/pc11-11

http://www.mpa.gov.sg/web/wcm/connect/www/a805375f-d163-4665-96a6-6a23e9c54ea6/030529a.pdf?MOD=AJPERES
  • oceanus
    edited November 14
    jakky_1 said:
    wah lau it take 1 hour to pump the inflatable boat.
    ​Not sure which particular model you are referring to, but most 2-seaters take only about 10 mins to setup before hitting the waters with a double-acting hand pump. 
  • Caroline95738
    Any good spots to recommend for first-time? :)
  • oceanus
    I can only recommend Pasir Ris beach although you cannot expect good catches very often. From my experience starting from raw, there are many factors you will need to consider before hitting the waters. For first timers, especially with new kayaks, I would recommend that you find a place with minimum wave and current. The launch and end point preferably has washing facilities for your kayaks unless you rent one. The spot must be not too far for you to paddle out and back and the preferably, the route has some intermediate rest point or shelters in case you get caught in bad weather or strong winds/currents. 

You will soon realize that you will spend most of the time during the trip setting up, paddling, maneuvering and anchoring than fishing. So find a place not too far from the launch site and try out first. The kelongs around Pasir Ris beach are very popular among kayak fishos. Even if you are alone, chances that there are other kayak fishermen around too.

I am still relatively new here and only sharing my experiences with personal inflatables. I only do hand paddling and stamina is very important as well. Proficiency in both kayak fishing and paddling needs to be improved together to increase the chance of success and of course, safety. 
  • charleschow
    The only place I have tried is at Pasir Ris beach. There is a “launch area” next to Ohana Beach House and the car park is close by too. Currents there are better in the mornings and sometimes they pick up towards the evening depending on weather. PM me if you want to head out - inflatable kayak.

• oceanus
    Current is based on the tide change, which is easy to predict in Pasir-ris, Ubin and Changi waters. During flooding tide (low to high), the current will flow westwards, that means from Changi towards Woodlands. During ebbing tide, the current will flow eastwards from Woodlands to Changi.

Very often, kayakers get confused between current and wind. Kayaks will weathercock towards headwinds or downwinds, depending on the CG, and creates a lot of resistance to paddle against. From my personal experience, unless paddling right in the middle of tide change in a narrow channel of water, strong winds are more difficult to fight than current. 

If you anchor down your kayak and start fishing, you will see the difference between current and wind. You kayak will tend to turn and face the wind, unless the strength of the current is higher than the wind, but your sinking fishing line will tend to get dragged by the current. The two can have very different directions. 
TRIPS
© Copyright 2016