Purchasing Reel From Japan

anglersaddict
Planning to tap on collective intelligence here, are reels (e.g Stella SW) significantly cheaper to purchase in Japan than export sets that we can get locally? 

I'm contemplating visiting Japan (probably Osaka/Kyoto region) in Q1 2018 but still weighting up the options to see if it's worth the hassle to schedule a pitstop at a tackle store in Japan when I'm there.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Yes it's mostly cheaper. 

• anglersaddict
    Yes it's mostly cheaper. 

​Thank you Sir! Any recommendations please? 

Was googling around, saw BunBun has quite a few outlets in Osaka area but can't find any email address to write to them >< Thought of doing some ground work (to check price, and payment modes accepted so I can go there prepared and save some time). 
  • Luke Maow Bear
    I personally do not buy exports set nowadays because I really need that warranty support I get from the Shimano Singapore, the amount of times I have needed it; I have lost count. But it's because I have a lot of Shimano Reels, and very abusive to my reels.

I do however own numerous export models. I only started the local purchases about 18 months now. Which is likely about 3 reels tops.

Some of the users on the classifieds, actually buy them back from Japan and resell.

I'd get a HG of sorts because I like very fast reels.
  • monstrad

google joshuya, which is a chain of fishing departmental store

cheapest way to buy shimano jdm reels is fly to japan holiday cum shopping trip

2nd method thru local tackle shop like lurehaven, ojtackle which sell non warranty shimano jdm reel

3rd method, order online thru plat.jp, amazon,jp japantackle, etc

4th method - most expensive , order thru any local shimano authorised dealer. they will get shimano sg to bring in with local warranty

I always order my shimano stuff through topgear tackle

becoz I m a regular customer, I can just call linda to order for me, don't need to go down to place order/make deposit

n I can get 25-27% off RRP

if not regular, all shimano AD will just give u 20% off RRP

the price list is by shimano sg, normally updated twice a year

sincere tackle will also give u good discount if u r regular

but sad to say, TTC even if u r regular, they wont give u good discount, so I don't patronise them

• Luke Maow Bear
    Monstrad always replies really well. 
  • monstrad
    Monstrad always replies really well. 

sharing is caring

btw, as long as u see anything u like in shimnao japan catalogue, u can order

shipment from japan is once a month

for daiwa fans, u can also go any AD to look at the daiwa japan catalog to order anything

• Luke Maow Bear
    Order from where bro?  B)
  • monstrad

u mean daiwa?

any AD lor

ewaves, ojtackle, topgear etc

but because daiwa don't have daiwa sg, its purely AD only

so daiwa after sales service sucks

• Luke Maow Bear
    Oh sorry brother, what does AD mean? That's why I didn't understand and asked a stupid question.

Yes Daiwa after sales service is a car wreck, I want to use their reels but only non magseal and those that I can open myself.
  • Freakinfart
    Oh sorry brother, what does AD mean? That's why I didn't understand and asked a stupid question.

Yes Daiwa after sales service is a car wreck, I want to use their reels but only non magseal and those that I can open myself.
    ​Authorised Dealer~

Broo!!! U into watches you should know AD lol
  • Freakinfart
    edited September 18
    monstrad said:

2nd method thru local tackle shop like lurehaven, ojtackle which sell non warranty shimano jdm reel

4th method - most expensive , order thru any local shimano authorised dealer. they will get shimano sg to bring in with local warranty

becoz I m a regular customer, I can just call linda to order for me, don't need to go down to place order/make deposit

but sad to say, TTC even if u r regular, they wont give u good discount, so I don't patronise them

​Just to be fair to TTC.

They are after all technically the main disty/wholesaler for Shimano Tackles that push out stuff to other AD shop.

So imagine them sell much lower priced stuff as compared to other AD tackle shop that order stuff from them (they are alr earning from getting orders from other shop), wouldnt that be double edge sword?

• monstrad

u into jdm watch like Seiko?

can go bic camera

• monstrad
    monstrad said:

​Just to be fair to TTC.

They are after all technically the main disty/wholesaler for Shimano Tackles that push out stuff to other AD shop.

So imagine them sell much lower priced stuff as compared to other AD tackle shop that order stuff from them (they are alr earning from getting orders from other shop), wouldnt that be double edge sword?

not sure about the wholesaler part, becoz AD  order direct thru shimano sg at benoi

but anyway why go ttc when other AD selling cheaper

why pay more?

• Freakinfart
    monstrad said:
    monstrad said:

​Just to be fair to TTC.

not sure about the wholesaler part, becoz AD  order direct thru shimano sg at benoi

but anyway why go ttc when other AD selling cheaper

why pay more?

​Go TTC beo all shimano reels (since they are wholesaler they have all the shim's latest gadgets) then go Sincere call ask price and buy!

TADA! lol.

Anw TTC also can buy spare parts ma

• Luke Maow Bear

​Authorised Dealer~

Broo!!! U into watches you should know AD lol
    ​Alamak!

Ok thanks. Hehe
  • Luke Maow Bear
    TTC is where I buy all my Shimano reels from. Doris and Maggie have been so good to me over the years.
  • monstrad
    TTC is where I buy all my Shimano reels from. Doris and Maggie have been so good to me over the years.

​u r the famous luke, I believe they give u good discount

sad to say I got no chance to watch your fishing tv show

cant find on youtube n I don't have cabletv

• isaiah83
    TTC are the distributors for Shimano in Singapore. While the Shimano head office is in Singapore all order still go through the distributor. That being said, if TTC sells lower than their customers who are your favorite tackle shops, then who would do business with them? Hence the need to hold the retail price and and protect their dealers who are able to extend "better discounts" to the consumers.  

With e-commerce, the need for the middle man is eliminated and so the cost is much cheaper as the online dealers deal directly with the end consumer. However, if you are unfortunate and there is really something wrong with the reel, you have to bear the cost of shipping the item back. We are a small industry, unlike our neighbors, with an average of 20 tackle shops which are easily accessible to everyone. If we don't support our local tackle shops, there won't be many of them left in time to come.

Daiwa are also head quartered here now and they handle the distribution themselves. They have taken steps to improve their pricing to be competitive with both online and PI prices and that is a step in the right direction. :) Warranty wise i think they have just worked something out with Reelspa being an authorized Daiwa clinic, that should help after sales support. I hope we will see Shimano take similar steps to close the gap between warranty and export sets.

Thread starter:
    Personally, i think that buying reels and lures online is a pretty straight forward thing and can save you a little bit after the shipping. But when buying rods, i'd would rather visit one of our tackle shops to get a feel before committing to a purchase. If you find making a stop in Osaka troublesome, might want to visit www.digitaka.com. They have pretty good prices and free shipping with reels. Most Japanese tackle shops hold the price close to the Japanese MSRP as well.  Hope it helps!
  • Freakinfart
    isaiah83 said:
    TTC are the distributors for Shimano in Singapore. While the Shimano head office is in Singapore all order still go through the distributor. That being said, if TTC sells lower than their customers who are your favorite tackle shops, then who would do business with them? Hence the need to hold the retail price and and protect their dealers who are able to extend "better discounts" to the consumers.  

With e-commerce, the need for the middle man is eliminated and so the cost is much cheaper as the online dealers deal directly with the end consumer. However, if you are unfortunate and there is really something wrong with the reel, you have to bear the cost of shipping the item back. We are a small industry, unlike our neighbors, with an average of 20 tackle shops which are easily accessible to everyone. If we don't support our local tackle shops, there won't be many of them left in time to come.

Daiwa are also head quartered here now and they handle the distribution themselves. They have taken steps to improve their pricing to be competitive with both online and PI prices and that is a step in the right direction. :) Warranty wise i think they have just worked something out with Reelspa being an authorized Daiwa clinic, that should help after sales support. I hope we will see Shimano take similar steps to close the gap between warranty and export sets.

Thread starter:
    Personally, i think that buying reels and lures online is a pretty straight forward thing and can save you a little bit after the shipping. But when buying rods, i'd would rather visit one of our tackle shops to get a feel before committing to a purchase. If you find making a stop in Osaka troublesome, might want to visit www.digitaka.com. They have pretty good prices and free shipping with reels. Most Japanese tackle shops hold the price close to the Japanese MSRP as well.  Hope it helps!
    ​Yo Isaiah!

Thanks for the clarification :D 

Phew i was right lol... i was biting my nails... TTC is disty hence majority of tackle shop need to order their shimano stuff from them, if they sell lower than those shop that ordered from them.. arent they killing themselves.

Cheers
  • monstrad

actually from what I heard from AD, daiwa and shimano already taken steps to discourage people from buying non warranty sets

that is it make life difficult for lay people ordering parts(super long wait time) and charging higher price for repair

that's y for non warranty sets, its cheaper and faster to repair through private repair shops

its like buying a PI car

borneo motor refuses to service/repair cars not bought from them

or performance motor whom charge a one-time adoption fee to service/repair your bmw

• isaiah83
    monstrad said:

actually from what I heard from AD, daiwa and shimano already taken steps to discourage people from buying non warranty sets

that is it make life difficult for lay people ordering parts(super long wait time) and charging higher price for repair

that's y for non warranty sets, its cheaper and faster to repair through private repair shops

its like buying a PI car

or performance motor whom charge a one-time adoption fee to service/repair your bmw

​I suppose these measures are a sort of an unspoken thing that the big two do to try and encourage consumers to go for warranty sets. The analogy is spot on. But should not be too difficult to get parts these days. Plat and eBay are a good alternatives for parts.
  • Freakinfart
    isaiah83 said:
    monstrad said:

its like buying a PI car

​I suppose these measures are a sort of an unspoken thing that the big two do to try and encourage consumers to go for warranty sets. The analogy is spot on. But should not be too difficult to get parts these days. Plat and eBay are a good alternatives for parts.
    ​yea most of my parts i got it off from plat.jp

esepcially the notorious daiwa ryoga housing.. 
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Without a proper service agent for Daiwa's Magseal; I am keeping my distance.

Shimano is easy, drop at TTC and wait for a phone call.
  • monstrad
    Planning to tap on collective intelligence here, are reels (e.g Stella SW) significantly cheaper to purchase in Japan than export sets that we can get locally? 

I'm contemplating visiting Japan (probably Osaka/Kyoto region) in Q1 2018 but still weighting up the options to see if it's worth the hassle to schedule a pitstop at a tackle store in Japan when I'm there.

I cant tell u the price, but I bet my balls, its the cheapest to buy from japan.

joshuya is their largest chain of departmental fishing store. tax-free for tourist at major branch(joshuya.co.jp google translate website)

other fishing store in japan might not have tax-free

since u r going Kyoto, u can go this 2 joshuya branch

btw japan tax refund is at the store, u pay first, then go to another counter to get refund

don't worry about language, they have English/Chinese speaking staff

u might also want to visit bic camera or yodobashi, which is electronics giant chains

I bought my jdm seikos there

Uezhou store Kyoto Ukyo store (Kyoto Ukyo) Store blog is here!
    〒615-0046京都府京都市右京区西院西溝崎町6 6 Saijosakizaki cho, Saito-ku, Kyoto-ku, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture 615-0046
    6, Saiinnishimizosakicho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto, 615-0046 6, Saiinnishimizosakicho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto, 615-0046
    電話/TEL 075-322-5225 Telephone / TEL 075-322-5225

◆上州屋京都伏見店(Kyoto Fushimi) 店舗blogはこちらから! ◆ Kyoto fushimi store (Kyoto Fushimi) store blog from here!
    〒612-8387京都府京都市伏見区下鳥羽東柳長町5 5 Nagatomachi Toba Toba Fushimi-ku Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture 612 - 8387
    5, Shimotobahigashiyanagiosacho, Fushimi-ku, Kyoto 5, Shimotobahigashiyanagiosacho, Fushimi-ku, Kyoto
    電話/TEL 075-622-0541 Telephone / TEL 075-622-0541

※注意 お取替え、ご返品、払い戻し、配送は出来ません。 ※ notice Replacement, return, refund, delivery is not available.
    ◎外国人旅行者など、非居住者(入国6ヶ月未満)が対象です。 ◎ Non-resident (less than 6 months of entry) such as foreign tourists are eligible.
    ◎パスポートをお持ちで、免税サービス実施店にて1日で5,000円(税抜)以上お買い上げの場合、消費税の免税申請手続きを受けることができます。 ◎ If you have a passport and you purchase over 5,000 yen (tax excluded) per day at a tax exemption service office, you can receive the tax exemption application procedure of the consumption tax.
    ◎釣竿を50,000円(税抜)以上お買い上げの場合、ご希望で梱包用の段ボール箱をサービスいたします。 ◎ If you purchase over 50,000 yen (tax excluded) for the fishing rod, we will serve the cardboard box for packing at your request. 箱のみの販売は、大500円、小300円(税抜)になります。 Sales of only boxes will be 500 yen for large, 300 yen for small (tax excluded).

TRIPS
© Copyright 2016