Drag Grease?

Luke Maow Bear
Where can I get Drag Grease from and how much do you all normally put? I have never done it before but one of my reels are stuttering when the drag is slightly turned up.

Thanks.
  • Devilzken
    Can use Carl's grease or daiwa specific utd grease. Need to remove the clip to access the drag below, 1st timer I suggest u take a photo of how the drag stack together. Clean off the old grease using Zippo or contact cleaner. Then is a brush to spread like butter. Do not spread them like Nutella as u always do  :D
    Jus a thin film of Carl's will do. If it's felt, suggest change to carbontex as it increases the drag and last pretty long
  • Devilzken
    edited August 22
    https://gaspinggurami.wordpress.com/category/fishing/service-and-maintenance/tools-and-lubes/

Above is a pretty comprehensive guide of servicing reels of interested

• Luke Maow Bear
    Woah that's a serious writeup! Wowowow! Thanks @Devilzken ;

• extractor
    Where can I get Drag Grease from and how much do you all normally put? I have never done it before but one of my reels are stuttering when the drag is slightly turned up.

Thanks.
    ​Really bo? Yr reels all sibeh expensive one... this shouldnt be happening... 

For reels dat expensive to be stuttering, suspect that yr drag stack has water intrusion and gotten wet.

Open them up and air dry overnit before fixing back, if problem persist, use solvent to remove the old grease on the drag disc before applying new ones. 

• Luke Maow Bear
    Old reel bro. The old Stella. 08? The one with many dots.

• Luke Maow Bear
    This Stella bro. It's old; is it the 08 one?

• extractor
    Drag dust residue can accumulate inside the drag stack as well which also can cause the same problems. When was the last time you clean them out? hehe...

Anyway this 1000 is a (Single) drag disc only, instead of messing with solvents and stinking up the house which simply just not worth the trouble, just buy a new carbontex drag for less than $10, lube up and toss in...

I think this model is from 2008 - 2012?  
  • Luke Maow Bear
    edited September 2
    Oh that is simple. Yes I have never serviced the drag maybe. I got into trouble in the Maldives with sticking.
  • extractor
    You have NEVER serviced the drag..... I think the problem is darn obvious.... Lol!!! 
  • Freakinfart
    WA LAU!

Anyway... i using Cal's~ good old Cal's...

I've heard nothing but good stuff for Daiwa Performance Grease as well~~~

As for crabon drags, just a slight spread over it will do. 
  • Luke Maow Bear
    extractor said:
    You have NEVER serviced the drag..... I think the problem is darn obvious.... Lol!!! 
    ​:( Stupid me la. 

WA LAU!

Anyway... i using Cal's~ good old Cal's...

I've heard nothing but good stuff for Daiwa Performance Grease as well~~~

As for crabon drags, just a slight spread over it will do. 
    ​I hope I can find my size for my 1000 in Carbontex.
  • Devilzken
    Better take out the old drag and compare with the new jus in case it doesn't fit. Sabre got sell carbontex
  • Freakinfart
    ya sabre got aaaa lot of 'smoooooooooooooth drag' carbontex.

all my carbontex from them. 

$9.90 for 3 piece..

But then again why u wanna swap to carbontex for size 1000?
  • Luke Maow Bear

$9.90 for 3 piece..

​Can I just clean my drag? Like "wash" it? Service it of sorts?
  • Devilzken

$9.90 for 3 piece..

​Can I just clean my drag? Like "wash" it? Service it of sorts?
    ​I dunno if you change ya drag B4 or is the original felt kind, if change B4 jus take out wash with lighter fluid and check the condition of the drag.

If it's feels smooth and thin perhaps it's better than change a new one cos the drag power might not b as good.

If still can see the cross cross of the carbontex then should b ok, jus clean out the internal of the spool and metal disc and reapply a thin layer of Carl's. Make sure u "run in" the drag 1st, jus give it a couple of pulls to see got any inconsistent drag spike
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Ah yes, it's called a "Drag Spike", I was cracking my head and ended up calling it stuttering - like when I see a pretty girl.

I will clean out with lighter fluid and see how it works, this reel is OLD but I am sure it can be smoothen out. All the insides are brand new.
  • Devilzken
    Ah yes, it's called a "Drag Spike", I was cracking my head and ended up calling it stuttering - like when I see a pretty girl.

I will clean out with lighter fluid and see how it works, this reel is OLD but I am sure it can be smoothen out. All the insides are brand new.
    ​Be sure to let the carbontex to b completely dry before apply the grease, fluid and grease are not good friends.

Mayb u jus show some pic to have clearer idea  ;)
  • Devilzken
    Carbontex story by reel spa, something to think abt
  • Devilzken
    I tink is need to balance between both, felt will also disintegrate, I suppose regular maintenance is needed for the drag
  • Luke Maow Bear
    I will know better when it opens up. Right now it feels like a Silstar Reel with monofilament.
  • loki_fish
    Thanks for your post and other's sharing. Wondering where can I get the grease and oil ah?
  • Luke Maow Bear
    loki_fish said:
    Thanks for your post and other's sharing. Wondering where can I get the grease and oil ah?
    ​Sabre, AO come to mind.
  • loki_fish
    loki_fish said:
    ​Sabre, AO come to mind.
    ​Thank you :) will check it out!
  • PatrickStar

I use whatever I can salvage at home.

GT85 for corrosion prevention 
    Polylube grease for drag and gear
    XZ1 for bearing (bought from tackle shop)
    Zippo fuel for cleaning
  • monstrad

there is a reason y best small fishing reels like stella fi still using felt drag

• Devilzken
    Actually my stradic 1 k also run in carbontex, I jus feel tat it won't disintegrate so fast like felt, of cos need know what is your reel limit to prevent over tighten of the drag
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Devilzken said:
    Actually my stradic 1 k also run in carbontex, I jus feel tat it won't disintegrate so fast like felt, of cos need know what is your reel limit to prevent over tighten of the drag
    ​Where did you get the drag grease.
TRIPS
© Copyright 2016