Rod for new angler in town

Marko
Hello guys,

my name is Marko, I recently moved in SG. I brought all my lures with me, but did not have place for rod and reel. I would appreciate a little help.

Is it possible to buy rod that I can use to catch P. Bass on freshwater, and maybe use that rod for some light shore sea fishing/spinnig also?

I used to fish with rods around 2,7 meters length, 20-50gr lure cast, medium action. I was fishing northern pike, and aspius aspius, but never bass.

What kind of rod/reel do you recommend? Is it possible to find rod in range up to 100SGD, just rod? I know there are more expensive and better I also used some custom rods, but now I am on a tight budget at the moment.

We can also talk about used rods why not even better. 
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Hi there and welcome to the Forum.

You can check on the http://classifieds.fishingkaki.com/ for good deals as Singaporeans mostly take good care of their gear.

For your Peacock Bass and Temensis you will be looking for an 8-16 Rod

There are many shops in a place called Beach Road where you can find what you are looking for.

Don't worry about custom rods as you can get something off the shelf easily.

Stick within your budget - check the Classifieds first then venture to Beach Road.
  • Freakinfart
    edited August 2017
    Like what Boss Luke mentioned.

$100 can get you a decent rod for Peacock Bass, Temensis or even Local Snakeheads.

Eupro Salty Fighter
    Okuma Nemesis
    Storm Adventure
    Storm Discovery

Below are some of the tackle shops you can google and find the address:

North Side
    - Sincere Tackle

West Side
    - Regal Tackle
    - Fishing Buddy
    - Ewaves Fishbyte
    - Sealine Fishing

East Side
    - Riverland
    - Changi Pro
    - Gary Tackle
    - Zheng Hui Enterprise
    - Big Dipper Tackle
    - Fishing Buddy

Central/South
    - Lure Haven
    - Joe Tackle
    - OJ Tackle
    - AJ Tackle
    - Kaiser Pro
    - Sabre Tackle
    - 2000 Tackle
    - Big Fish @ Helping Hand

and many many more.. for a start i would recommend you to go Sincere Tackle, OJ Tackle, 2000 Tackle for sub $100 luring rods
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Like what Boss Luke mentioned.

$100 can get you a decent rod for Peacock Bass, Temensis or even Local Snakeheads.

Eupro Salty Fighter
    Okuma Nemesis
    Storm Adventure
    Storm Discovery

Below are some of the tackle shops you can google and find the address:

North Side
    - Sincere Tackle

West Side
    - Regal Tackle
    - Fishing Buddy
    - Ewaves Fishbyte
    - Sealine Fishing

East Side
    - Riverland
    - Changi Pro
    - Gary Tackle
    - Zheng Hui Enterprise
    - Big Dipper Tackle
    - Fishing Buddy

Central/South
    - Lure Haven
    - Joe Tackle
    - OJ Tackle
    - AJ Tackle
    - Kaiser Pro
    - Sabre Tackle
    - 2000 Tackle
    - Big Fish @ Helping Hand

and many many more.. for a start i would recommend you to go Sincere Tackle, OJ Tackle, 2000 Tackle for sub $100 luring rods
    ​What am amazing reply.
  • Marko
    edited August 2017
    Wow guys that is what I call a HELP! Thank you very much, I owe you at least beer  

Sorry one more question, what does 8-16 means? In Europe we for rods have length in meteres (2,7 for example), and casting lure weight in grams, for example 20-50 grams, and action (fast, medium, slow)

edit: ok one more thing :) I am watchig, all this rods are up to 6,6 feet, 7 maybe, if I convert ok this is up to 2,1 meters at most, is it a little short for shore fishing? I am just to 2,4-2,7 rods? 
  • Luke Maow Bear
    You are welcome

8-16lb is the rod poundage. 

Here we use Feet for the length of the rod 
  • SportAngler
    I would recommend a ML setup. Which will be a 8-16/10-20lbs rod about 6-7ft(180-210cm) long as you like to use for shore too.
    Reel 2500/C3000 with 10-15lbs braided line.
    Do consider the lure weight you are casting when choosing your rod as need to match them too.
    Welcome to SG.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    I would recommend a ML setup. Which will be a 8-16/10-20lbs rod about 6-7ft(180-210cm) long as you like to use for shore too.
    Reel 2500/C3000 with 10-15lbs braided line.
    Do consider the lure weight you are casting when choosing your rod as need to match them too.
    Welcome to SG.
    ​I am in agreement with this as well.

6ft to 7ft will cover a lot of your needs.

It's also good to note that it's ok to have a 2 piece rod if travelling around is tough.

We have a lot of good travel brands here like Major Craft, Rapala and Outback.

I use the Major Craft GoEmotion.
  • Marko
    Tnx guys, I will try to find at least 7ft rod because I am used to a little longer, mainly fishing from shore, and do not now anybody with a boat for now. 
  • Devilzken
    7 feet also can fish at our local reservoir, u need shorter only for bashing jungle B)
  • Luke Maow Bear
    If you are going to fishing for Shore, you need a 7.6 ft to 8.6 ft rod here. Cast from 10 Grams to 28 Grams or a 30 Gram Jig at max and reel like you want to take over the world; fast.

Like what Devilzken said, if you are bashing which means you are bashing the through the jungle you want a shorter rod not only for for safety in case your break the rod but also there is not much casting space.
  • Freakinfart
    Personally im using:

In Singapore our Shore casting is not the real "SHORE CASTING" (unlike those blokes over at morning tide fishing channel)

- 6'8 feet spinning rod (i would say 7'6 if you really want to hit distance especially around marina south pier area)
    - Size 2500 - 3000 spinning reel (unless you're really lucky to fish on medium colbia other than that you're safe with 3000 size spool)
    - 10gram zman rubber to 25g jigs

The above good enough for most of Singapore beach, shore casting for the usual pelagic species.. or maybe even groupers

For reservior luring or jungle bashing

- 5'6 to 6'6 feet spinning
    - Size 1000 - 3000 reel
    - 3.5g lure all e way to 42g lure depending on your terrain

• Marko
    Uh. :) well, first I will have to buy one rod for sea shore fishing so lets say 7,6-8,6, with 3000 reel. I mostly fish with rapala (x-rap, original, contdown, etc), have some Megabass lures (minnow, top water), and some metal lures. I will first buy that and try to manage that also on reservoars if I go. I do not think I will go venturing around jungle yet, because I do not know terrain and probably would die or be eaten by some animal :)))))))))))))))) 

One more thing can you recommend braided line for saltwater (I am worried that fish will see if water is clear)? Do you use fluocarbon behind braided line here for saltwater maybe?

And also I see a lot of you use jig actually, I personally never used ruber lures hm... But if it is better choice maybe I will try. Tomorrow I will check some stores you recommended..
  • Luke Maow Bear
    The only "animal" that eats us anglers is called a ranger. Please don't make this viral and accuse me for calling a ranger an animal :neutral: they are certainly not.

Yes Braid to FC.

Soft Plastics are a thing here. Singaporeans are very global in their fishing but we are more aligned to Japanese style of fishing; however we are far more brutal and heroic.
TRIPS
© Copyright 2016