National Day Fishing Competition at Pasir Ris Pond - Very disappointing

danny3880
Hi Kakis,

Anyone went to the above event?

Our group's catch was horrible, many zero-fighters and not even bites or strikes.

Many other anglers also complained about the same results...

Please share your CRs for that event if you can. Thanks!
  • Luke Maow Bear
     :o

Well that's unfortunate. Did they release a bunch of fish? 
  • danny3880
    Yup, sadly so...

They stated '3000KG OF BIG FISHES TO BE RELEASED INTO THE POND'...

We didn't see the release of the fishes so can't be sure.

What I'm sure is we tried all kinds of bait and rigs,
    but nothing...
  • FinGers
    I was there. One bite for the whole of 7 hours. Left and right catches were disappointing too.
  • monstrad

I was there as spectator

in general , very poor biterates

good thing is I saw the landing of the 1st prize gaotun at number 10 area

• danny3880
    Sad to hear really...

Thank U for sharing, guys.

• Luke Maow Bear
    Unfortunate. I wonder what happen.
  • monstrad

main culprit is the poor water quality

• Luke Maow Bear
    edited August 15
    monstrad said:

​that has been an issue with the pond for many years. Can't be helped. Not easy to balance the water.
  • monstrad
    monstrad said:

​that has been an issue with the pond for many years. Can't be helped. Not easy to balance the water.

​poor design

when it rains, all rubbish flows into the pond and leaves decaying in pond

the owner needs to do water change more frequently

• danny3880
    Oh I see, noted with thanks
  • Luke Maow Bear
    I think it has 30 or 40 years of pond scum in the water. I can't imagine what they will bring up if they dredge it.
  • qoonutz

i managed to catch 2 fish in the evening after the competition..

one was a spotted snapper (2kg).. put in net in the water, did not survive.. brought home to descale and deorgan and freeze..

took out to cook on sunday.. foul smell coming out from the stomach.. very very strong.. threw away..

the other one (brown snapper) was ok.. light acceptable smell (deep fried it, cleaning up the kitchen was hell!)

got to say this is the worse ever from pasir ris.. :(

• danny3880
    Oh dear, I don't even dare imagine what's beneath it after so many years. Now I know why the bite rates are so poor, and the foul smell coming from the fishes here sometimes.

Many thanks for sharing guys, really appreciate it.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Yeah np. The pond works hard to keep the fish going and the place a spot. Sometimes no choice nature wins and the water changes are hard because they are due to the tide. I rather the pond stays in business so we can cure our itch :) hehe
  • qoonutz
    I was told that the canal nx to the pond is converted to freshwater, making change water tough for the pond. 
  • monstrad
    qoonutz said:
    I was told that the canal nx to the pond is converted to freshwater, making change water tough for the pond. 

​u mean garment dam the river? don't think so leh

normally pond operator wait for high tide to pump seawater into the pond to fill up losses due to evaporation

they rarely do water change as it means pond closure due to time need to do entire water change

• Devilzken
    edited August 17
    I dun tink they dam the river cos it doesn't leads to any reservoir and for that little stretch of water not worth the effort

• Luke Maow Bear
    Ya, there is a big pump at the Pro Pond (Small Pond) side. I think it is more of a top up than a water change? Unless there is an outlet? The new water mixes with the old water. Truth be told that pond needs a serious dredge; however the cost of that would be astronomical.
  • Devilzken
    Ya, there is a big pump at the Pro Pond (Small Pond) side. I think it is more of a top up than a water change? Unless there is an outlet? The new water mixes with the old water. Truth be told that pond needs a serious dredge; however the cost of that would be astronomical.
    ​Did not know if they dredge the pond when they change over owner, it will be impossible now for them to do it as need a place to store the fishes in the pond elsewhere. And the down time for the pond will not make any business sense. They rather pour in more fishes and hope that will increase the bite rate. Whether the fishes are safe for consuming is up to individual stomach  :p
  • Luke Maow Bear
     :o

Now that you mentioned that, I think there is another outlet/inlet in the big pond.

Yeah makes no business sense for them to dredge, I sure as hell would love to be there when they do as I want to see what comes up.

I feel it's ok to eat the fish there. 
TRIPS
© Copyright 2016