Dispatching fishes

Michael Lim
Let's discuss, how many of you here regularly dispatch your fish, either with a club or spike/knife (thru the brain).

Brought my knife out on a boat trip and got a few fishes cleanly pierced with my knife. 

This is a western deba with a fairly sharp and pointed tip and strong blade so it managed to get thru the skull cleanly.  I wouldn't recommend it with the standard filleting knifes though as those would be rather thin and flexible.

Who else does this to keep the fish fresh and with better eating qualities?
  • harazz
    Any difference if I put them immediately into the ice box?

From what I've seen before, most anglers club the big fishes, like tengirri. But I've always thought to make it easier to put in the ice box.
  • Devilzken
    Apparently if despatch the fish the meat will taste nicer and also bleed the blood. Leaving the fishes inside the ice box will "tense" up the meat from what I know.
  • Staphylococcus
    I use the sharp spike from Daiso to do the iki jime of big fishes. I even have the long metal wire thing to destroy the spine.

I do it more for humane reasons rather than better eating qualities cos my taste buds aren't that discerning. 
    If you see how anglers in Aust/NZ care for their fish, so different from Sg. Here anglers just throw the fish into the ice box with a few blocks of ice. Over there, they spike, bleed and put in ice slurry (crush ice + sea water). 

Whole different angling culture!
  • Jump'n Jack
    if one is concerned about the quality of the fish then bleeding it will be fine, normally one can dispatch the fish with a sharp blow to the head and cut the gills to bleed it, there after keep it in ice slurry.
  • Michael Lim
    I'll definitely need a couple more tests to get better test results.  This hopefully can get me some more fishing sessions off time from my wife.

But yes, most would definitely agree that proper killing and bleeding will allow for better meat quality and a more humane death to the fishes.  Spikes come in many shapes and sizes and I would like to get a decent one from a shop soon.  The low end Daiso ice picks tends to break off easily.
  • sittissti
    Can I know where to get the Ike jime tool? Thks in advance 
  • Devilzken
    Jus go daiso buy an ice pick, for the bones can use a thick steel wire
  • Michael Lim
    edited April 2018
    sittissti said:
    Can I know where to get the Ike jime tool? Thks in advance 
    ​The spikes are avail in some shops.  I saw a Daiwa one in AO recently.

Something like this

• Jump'n Jack
    Devilzken said:
    Jus go daiso buy an ice pick, for the bones can use a thick steel wire
    ​Yep, I used a thin ice pick and some single strand stainless steel wire for the longest time.
    If you cannot stick the fish spine form the head you can cut off a small section of the tail and stick it from there with the wire, after dispatching the fish by spiking the fish with the ice pick between the eyes...
  • harazz
    Is there substantial difference in taste and quality of the fish between, straight dump in icebox, to dispatch/bleed?

I did once, tried, on a single boat trip, both methods.

-Bleeding, by cutting the gills, and thereafter put them in the ice box.
    And
    -Simply just put them in ice box immediately.

I did not notice any difference in taste. Maybe its just my tastebuds. But quality wise not much difference too.

Or maybe I did not notice any difference cos I will usually cook my catch on the same day. 

Did anyone ever tried the 2 methods on the same trip and compare?
  • Devilzken
    Tat is provided not frenzy time u got all the time in the world  :p who got time to do when fishes r biting hard
  • harazz
    Devilzken said:
    Tat is provided not frenzy time u got all the time in the world  :p who got time to do when fishes r biting hard
    ​lol. True. When lojiak lojiak time.
    But this rarely happens to me. LoL
    Unless I hit  a school of tamban or selar fish. Hahaha
  • Devilzken
    harazz said:
    Devilzken said:
    ​lol. True. When lojiak lojiak time.
    But this rarely happens to me. LoL
    Unless I hit  a school of tamban or selar fish. Hahaha
    ​i salute u if u Ike tambans or selar :#
  • Staphylococcus

I buy the sharp utensil used by people making the tako yaki balls. It's slightly thinner than a regular ice pick. Daiso have these tako yaki ball utensil. Been using it for big fishes up to 10kg.

Just need to know how/where 

to punch into the fish skull to get to the brain.
  • Michael Lim
    Wow...   great discussion guys.  Love that tool from Nakazima.  Looks really nice

• somethingfishy00
    will guitar strings work? The ike jime wire has a diameter of 1mm. The A-String in the guitar is appro 0.95mm. 
    And guitar string dont hv much memory so it doesnt bend so easily.
  • ydolphin
    will guitar strings work? The ike jime wire has a diameter of 1mm. The A-String in the guitar is appro 0.95mm. 
    And guitar string dont hv much memory so it doesnt bend so easily.
    ​Yes, I have used them before haha
  • Michael Lim
    This tool was bought in Hong Kong.  The spike is hollow and is able to allow the wire to go thru and right into the spine if you have aligned it correctly.

Pretty cool, but my skills aren't good enuff yet.  Need more practise.

• somethingfishy00
    edited March 2018
    i find it hard to locate the exact location of the brain. I think im inflicting more pain doing so, hence it defeats the entire idea of ike jime. I usually just close the fish by inserting the wire thru the spinal cord from the back and bleed the fish accordingly at the gills.
  • Staphylococcus
    Skull anatomy is different for every fish. If you follow the fish's lateral line all the way to the head and then draw an imaginary line to the eye, the brain would be located just behind the eye socket. 

Some fish skulls are harder than others so I guess it takes a bit of practice. But once you hit the right spot, the fish will flap around for abt 5secs and then go limp and change color.