Are Accurate reels as good as they say?

Tekkai
edited February 21 in Reels
Hi there. As the topic suggests, are Accurate reels as good as they say? Accurate reels on paper are supposed to be able to handle all sorts of abuse. However..feedback from other people suggest otherwise. I have heard of Accurate reels failing during  fishing trips, need regular maintenance and it is not durable. Accurate reels are very expensive and for the price you pay, I am sure all of us are expecting it to be a super reel.

Let me share with you my experience with Accurate reels. I have 3 Accurate reels. DX2-600N , BX-600 and DX2-600. The 600N was my first reel and it has not given me any problems. ( Ok it lived up to its expecations) I am pleased with it.

However, the 2nd reel, BX-600, gave me problems after the first trip. The reel wasn't smooth and it became slightly more difficult when I tried reeling in a size 18 sinker (-.-)...When I set the drag passed a certain limit, there is a pop sound half way during a crank. Sent it for servicing and the pop sound was still there. It only disappeared after being serviced the 2nd time.

DX2-600 was a joke. When I set the drag to the max, there is a grinding sound when I tried reeling in my line. The 2nd speed mechanism had some problem. The ease of cranking was alot lesser than the 600N. And the clicker was spoilt (-.-)

I wonder if any of you fellow Anglers here who use Accurate reels encounter this kind of problems? I have talked to various boatmen and some of them sold off all their Accurate reels. Please feel free to share. 

• Luke Maow Bear
    I have only borrowed mine and it's not accurate if I gave long term feedback (pun intended). But with that said I have heard a few stories pertaining to what you are saying that match your experience - however I know many anglers who go about their fishing with Accurate reels and they have no incident. It's entirely likely you got a Lemon of sorts as I do know that AO has an excellent reputation with seeing to the reels. 

I look at this way, all reels screw up, my Stella 2500 went to death last year and I worked with Shimano to bring it back to life; it happens. I think every 1000 to 2000 reels will have a lemon.

Someone told me one thing once which I cannot remember clearly about the Accurate; was about the drag and how to set it - he said it can cause bearings to give way, I think it was about switching the lever drag off before adjusting the drag. How true I will never know because when I used mine during a trip I absolutely fell in love with it as it is so powerful and great for bottom fishing. Another thing I heard was a 2 speed issue and if it is changed at "some moment" it will cause an issue. Again, how true I don't know. But it seems you faced these 2 issue on 2 reel your DX2-600. Check with AO if you have not; I suspect this is a Lemon and they can help 

As what I post is sometimes overly influential in the community; I'd like to add I do like Accurate reels and continue to be an angler aligned with the Shimano brand for my reel of choice for most applications. 
  • Tekkai
    I have only borrowed mine and it's not accurate if I gave long term feedback (pun intended). But with that said I have heard a few stories pertaining to what you are saying that match your experience - however I know many anglers who go about their fishing with Accurate reels and they have no incident. It's entirely likely you got a Lemon of sorts as I do know that AO has an excellent reputation with seeing to the reels. 

I look at this way, all reels screw up, my Stella 2500 went to death last year and I worked with Shimano to bring it back to life; it happens. I think every 1000 to 2000 reels will have a lemon.

Someone told me one thing once which I cannot remember clearly about the Accurate; was about the drag and how to set it - he said it can cause bearings to give way, I think it was about switching the lever drag off before adjusting the drag. How true I will never know because when I used mine during a trip I absolutely fell in love with it as it is so powerful and great for bottom fishing. Another thing I heard was a 2 speed issue and if it is changed at "some moment" it will cause an issue. Again, how true I don't know. But it seems you faced these 2 issue on 2 reel your DX2-600. Check with AO if you have not; I suspect this is a Lemon and they can help 

As what I post is sometimes overly influential in the community; I'd like to add I do like Accurate reels and continue to be an angler aligned with the Shimano brand for my reel of choice for most applications. 
    ​Well if I had 10 Accurate reels and 1 had problem I wouldn't mind la..but 2 out of 3..that is quite bad to me la. Right now Im using Okuma Makaira..was considering that vs Shimano Talica and I chose Okuma Makaira. It hasn't give me any problems yet and I hope it continues that way :)

About the Accurate Drag setting and 2 speed mechanism, let's say that the adjusting it at "some moment" is true. Then IMO I think Accurate should do something to improve their reels. I mean we pay so much for it and we still have to be careful and watch out for those "moments". It shows that there is a flaw in their specs and design. I don't think any of us will be watching out for these "moments" when we are fighting a big fish. If say this happens to a cheap 200bucks reel then I would say it is perfectly fine because you get what you paid for right? But for an Accurate reel that costs 900+.. that is appalling. Dont you think so too? 
  • AAA+
    Hi, Tekkai, i too am using the Okuma Makaria with TDC which i have ordered from Tackle direct USA. I find the setting of drags and switch from 2 speed gear a breeze unlike others. Price wise it is even cheaper than most brand of reels which i find is over priced.
    I have the 8 & 15 series with TDC which arrived just.  B)
  • Tekkai
    AAA+ said:
    Hi, Tekkai, i too am using the Okuma Makaria with TDC which i have ordered from Tackle direct USA. I find the setting of drags and switch from 2 speed gear a breeze unlike others. Price wise it is even cheaper than most brand of reels which i find is over priced.
    I have the 8 & 15 series with TDC which arrived just.  B)
    ​Haha nice! I bought mine from TCE Tackle though..had a 30% discount :).. Okuma Makaira is really cheap compared to the others which is one thing I really like about it. :) I have a MK 30 II Sea which I found it too heavy..So Im trying to sell it. Just bought a MK 10 II. Can't wait to play with it.
  • AAA+
    Size 10 is a good size. Something like accurate 500. I had one sold to my fren  when i bought the 8 n 15. Need the bigger capacity if i am fishing in deeper water. As for the 8 it is more than enough for local and nearby malaysian water. 
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Lawrence from the Groups replied:

All lever drag reels shouldn't adjust the preset drag knob when the lever is set to anywhere than free— that's a characteristic of all lever drag reels. That's why it's called a preset drag knob — you use it to preset your drag and then you won't need it anymore till perhaps you up the line class. 

Once it's properly set for the line class, you adjust your drag by setting the lever to strike, or below strike for less drag and above strike for more drag. When you back the lever all the way down to the bottom, you get freespool if you are fishing the correctly specified line class the reel is designed for. Eg, if your reel is a 16lb class and you fish 50lb line, set max drag at 25lbs, you probably can't get free spool at the bottom. You will also encounter stiffer/rough cranking as the bearing is pressed beyond its designated load. Or if your reel is a 80lb class and you set max drag at 15lb, you will find little scope for drag range before it free spools. 

The preset knob has very fine threads. Adjusting it when the lever drag is engaged may strip the threads and damage the drag. 

All these issues are unfortunately, the limitations of a lever drag reel, and is inherent in all Brands, not limited to Accurate.
  • Tekkai
    Lawrence from the Groups replied:

All lever drag reels shouldn't adjust the preset drag knob when the lever is set to anywhere than free— that's a characteristic of all lever drag reels. That's why it's called a preset drag knob — you use it to preset your drag and then you won't need it anymore till perhaps you up the line class. 

Once it's properly set for the line class, you adjust your drag by setting the lever to strike, or below strike for less drag and above strike for more drag. When you back the lever all the way down to the bottom, you get freespool if you are fishing the correctly specified line class the reel is designed for. Eg, if your reel is a 16lb class and you fish 50lb line, set max drag at 25lbs, you probably can't get free spool at the bottom. You will also encounter stiffer/rough cranking as the bearing is pressed beyond its designated load. Or if your reel is a 80lb class and you set max drag at 15lb, you will find little scope for drag range before it free spools. 

The preset knob has very fine threads. Adjusting it when the lever drag is engaged may strip the threads and damage the drag. 

All these issues are unfortunately, the limitations of a lever drag reel, and is inherent in all Brands, not limited to Accurate.
    ​Yup, I only adjust my preset drag knob when im at free. The sad thing is..I handle all my 3 Accurate reels the same but only 1 of them remains fine. I do compare them with each other and that is how I confirmed that 2 of them aren't working properly :(
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Bro being to AO. You seem to have a Lemon man. 
  • Tekkai
    LukeMaowBear said:
    Bro being to AO. You seem to have a Lemon man. 
    ​It has been there for the past 2 weeks already haha..still waiting for them to give me a call.
  • bullsindia
    Do you need a financial help? Are you in any financial crisis or do you need funds to start up your own business? Do you need funds to settle your debt or pay off your bills or start a good business? Do you have a low credit score and you are finding it hard to obtain capital services from local banks and other financial institutes? Here is your chance to obtain a financial services from our company. We offer the following finance to individuals-
    *Commercial finance
    *Personal finance
    *Business finance
    *Construction finance
    *Business finance And many More:
    and many more at 2% interest rate;
    Contact Us Via Email:bullsindia187@gmail.com
TRIPS
© Copyright 2016