Bamboosharks in Singapore: Have you seen them?

Dr_Neil
Hi, I'm a marine biologist at James Cook University here in Singapore who is working on bamboosharks. If any of you have caught one or seen any around Singapore, particularly the slender bambooshark, I'd welcome any details that you could provide to me.

If you could email me at neil.hutchinson@jcu.edu.au
or respond to this discussion it would be much appreciated.

Thanks - Neil

• Luke Maow Bear
    Neil, if you can share a picture of the Shark you are looking for it would help us more. I don't want to Google and share it as it will be accurate if it comes from you. 
  • Dr_Neil
    Hi Luke, Thanks. I've attached a couple of pictures, they get up to about 65cm in length.
     (source: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/235665017_Sharks_and_Rays_of_Borneo)

• Shoreangler
    edited February 8
    I had caught some of the shark family. But is unsure is it what you wanted.

• Dr_Neil
    Hi, nice catch.
    They're closely related. Are you able to message me with the rough place you caught these and what time of year?

Thanks - Neil

• blowie
    Yes, I have caught them before. There used to be quite a few near the Ubin channel near the shallower parts but that was quite a while back. They were almost in plague proportions then. I cant quite recall the months of capture though. Hope this helps.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    I shared this out. Is this a Bambooshark? 

• Dr_Neil
    Hi, yes that's the one in the last couple of photos above. Thanks for the comments from you all!
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Dr_Neil said:
    Hi, yes that's the one in the last couple of photos above. Thanks for the comments from you all!
    ​Ok if you need more help feel free to ask, we have multiple areas for this community on Facebook and Instagram, so I will ask around when an answer needs crowd sourcing.
  • Dr_Neil
    Hi,
    I'm looking at starting to  catch animals for tagging in the near future. Is anyone in the community happy to chat to me about the type of rigs that you are using that work well?

Thanks - Neil
  • Luke Maow Bear
    There is a lot of types of fishing here, a baited hook is how most of these sharks are caught. 

• Dr_Neil
    Hi, can anyone provide me with details of hook sizes you've been using when you've caught bamboo sharks?
    Thanks - Neil
TRIPS
© Copyright 2016