PTK Rods for PRMP

excalibur
PRMP Shifus here,
What r the generic kinda PTK rods ( lengths n poundage ) u use to whip your appollo rig w/sinkers  or lures ( whats size ) with? Intended areas of use - carpark, no 10 & saudi. 

All suggestions n opinions all welcome.. 

Thanks many
  • Luke Maow Bear
    You can PTK with any rod bro. All depends on what you have now. I feel 6.6ft to 7ft is good. 
  • smellymonster
    I am using 9'6 rod with 2500 reel, 10lbs jerry brown, size 2 weight with (15 or 20 lb dupon leader). , usually not apollo rig. There is a special way to tie the PTK rig. Also, You need the distance for PTK.
  • grandmasterhaohao
    7 rod 6 lb line can wack until very far use zman can cast all the way to the net nut u shld try kumpong very good now

• Limpeh
    I am using 9'6 rod with 2500 reel, 10lbs jerry brown, size 2 weight with (15 or 20 lb dupon leader). , usually not apollo rig. There is a special way to tie the PTK rig. Also, You need the distance for PTK.

Can elaborate the special way to tie?

Any preferred method of retrieval?
  • Luke Maow Bear
    It is not easy to tie man, even I am wondering when I see it. lol. The important thing is the part that is sticking out must be sticking out strong..
  • zhuhaibaker
    Can post a picture of the PTK rig ? Thanks
  • zhuhaibaker
    Can post a picture of the PTK rig ? Thanks
  • smellymonster
    Limpeh said:

Sorry bro. Hope it's clear to you. Will post a rig when I'm home. It's like a floater rig, the finishing part. Only the initial involves twisting, need to put powder on ur fingers to prevent the leader from slipping and easy twisting. Lol try with a 15/20lb DuPont leader, get those soft white ones, bite rate is better than the see through/clear.
  • smellymonster
    Limpeh said:

​My usual methods,
    Slow straight retrieval, with rod parallel to the gound, when no slack, u slowly lift the rod tip up and to the back, and u reel in the slack while bring the rod down parallel to the ground. Repeat the steps.
    usally one live prawn split into two. Head + one section of the body n then the remaining part. 
    The remaining part gives more distance than the head. 

Two scenarios when hit
    1. Ur line loosen ( fish bite the bait n swim in).  
    Tighten n strike. 
    2. Ur line peels out. ( fish bite n swim out) 
    Tighten n Strike. 
  • excalibur
    Limpeh said:

Sorry bro. Hope it's clear to you. Will post a rig when I'm home. It's like a floater rig, the finishing part. Only the initial involves twisting, need to put powder on ur fingers to prevent the leader from slipping and easy twisting. Lol try with a 15/20lb DuPont leader, get those soft white ones, bite rate is better than the see through/clear.
    ​This is no doubt a very gd rig, however, when u hit an aggressive predator & swallow hook eg the snappers, you can literally throw the rig away liao. Im currently using a self tied T knot rig, tryin to shorten the dropper loop so when i cast out.. it will not spin horribly, i think theres no exception to the twisted rig too..
  • Limpeh
    Thanks for the drawing!

Kinda lost it on Step 4. Need to go back and try to figure it out with Dupon.

Questions:
    - wondering why need all the twisting to the hook? To withstand bites? if use higher poundage leader can do away with the twisting?
    - how long should the twister (connect to the hook) part be? Think I've seen very short in some PTK anglers in PRMP.
    - Using live prawn and split into 2, can we just do with frozen/dead prawn?

Thanks again for the effort to draw those.
  • excalibur
    Let me share the varient rigs i used :-

Line - 40lb clear dupont
    Hook - 3/0, make sure opening at end of loop is flexible
                 enough to thread eye of hook.

Thread line through eye of hook first & tie a dropper rig

T knot rig with hook as close as possible

ALWAYS EXERCISE PROPER CARE WHEN DEALING WITH SHARP HOOKS
  • excalibur
    edited January 14
    Limpeh said:
    Thanks for the drawing!

Kinda lost it on Step 4. Need to go back and try to figure it out with Dupon.

Questions:
    - wondering why need all the twisting to the hook? To withstand bites? if use higher poundage leader can do away with the twisting?
    - how long should the twister (connect to the hook) part be? Think I've seen very short in some PTK anglers in PRMP.
    - Using live prawn and split into 2, can we just do with frozen/dead prawn?

Thanks again for the effort to draw those.
    ​Questions:
    - wondering why need all the twisting to the hook? To withstand bites? if use higher poundage leader can do away with the twisting?  -twisting of line to hook act as a spreader, so hook will nt entangle to main line.

- how long should the twister (connect to the hook) part be? Think I've seen very short in some PTK anglers in PRMP. - personal preference, shorter the better, mine is about an inch

- Using live prawn and split into 2, can we just do with frozen/dead prawn?yes y nt, make sure your hook is big enough to embed the shank into the bait.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    I have made this a sticky-announcement due to how valuable it is content-wise.
  • smellymonster
    B)  sharing is caring, Luke bro!  
  • Michael Lim
    I believe the foreign/o'seas term would be a Dropshot rig.  They just do it with a single line for the hook as opposed to the double dropper loop used here.
TRIPS
© Copyright 2016