Maintaining Shimano DC reels

The_Clairvoyant
Hi Kakis,

Just got myself an Exsence DC and as it is my first DC reel, and all instructions are in Japanese, I wondering how should I maintain it.

Can I rinse it under a tap like I do with my other reels?
The last thing I want is to break my new reel or electrocute myself....
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Hi Kakis,

Just got myself an Exsence DC and as it is my first DC reel, and all instructions are in Japanese, I wondering how should I maintain it.

Can I rinse it under a tap like I do with my other reels?
    The last thing I want is to break my new reel or electrocute myself....
    ​The last thing you can do is electrocute yourself, such things only professional idiots like myself do.

Cleaning can be done the same way by tightening your knobs and drag with a gentle rinse. Don't dunk a DC, (yes I did it before) 
  • Devilzken
    dc is jus a small pcb board inside the reel to control the casting if I not wrong, will suggest to rinse under gentle water and quickly wipe off the excess water.

rem to tighten the drag, when dry jus drip a drop of oil to both casting bearing

above simple maintainance is for fw

• The_Clairvoyant
    Thanks guys, I guess its the same routine as any other reel then. To be honest I know the DC unit is pretty much sealed, but I just wasn't sure about the spool portion there is a small bit of tube that extends into the DC unit. Didn't know if that could get wet. Don't know what material is it.

Does anybody know how does this DC thing work? Is the braking force applied magnetically (like Daiwa)? The engineer in me is always trying to understand how things work.
  • Devilzken
    check out YouTube for any dc reel tear down