learn luring

faizlin09
edited May 2015 in Luring & Artificial
Hi is there anyone here in staying yishun .. i can tag along to learn some tips from a pro lurer..recently start luring but no luck.... hope someone can help out there.. thanks in advance...
  • lubberplawn
    Hi I'm also new to luring. And I have 1 very important to to share. From my fishing mentor who told me cheekily. . . . The lure must always stay in the water.

On a serious note, what he meant was keep casting keep casting. Hardwork will be rewarded.
  • lubberplawn
    After tens or maybe even hundreds of casts, you start to feel demoralised and slowly loses attention. But when the fish strike when you least expected it, the adrenaline rush is wooooo indescribable. . . .
  • faizlin09
    Guess just keep trying.. i meant keep casting then... thanks bro..
  • xxyy123
    Use spin fly setup at LSR, first light & last light, at Jetty area or most far-end corner.
    Cast, let it sink, retrieve at moderate speed then jerk (pointing the rod tip downwards), repeat.

The smallies will chase for it. Good luck!
  • faizlin09
    Great tips there.. will try out on weekends.. hope to get a bite..there are snakeheads too(saw ppl post) but the other side... seems like a great fight if gonna catch one..
  • pleasebitemylure
    hey man, maybe one of these days we could fish together! I go to LSR quite a bit. Maybe this weekend or so? I'm not a pro but i can certainly keep you company and give a few tips!
  • faizlin09
    Woohooo.. y not.. if we in luck we can meet the toman hunter :D there.. will pm u bro.. thanks again.. really appreciate.. at last gonna learn hands on from a pro..
  • Braidedrod
    Do note that luring there isnt easy. Tight line screaming reel
  • faizlin09
    yup thats one of the big reason i cant catch any.. so hoping someone with experience who can teach me how to do it properly.. :D
  • Luke Maow Bear
    faizlin09" said:
    yup thats one of the big reason i cant catch any.. so hoping someone with experience who can teach me how to do it properly.. :D
    Timing

The best time to go is early in the morning, be at the spot at around 6.50AM, this is roughly the first light timing and it's better known as breakfast.

Gear

Go light, ultra light (UL),
    Rod: 2lb ~ 6lb (2~7, around that poundage)
    Reel: 1000
    Line: 4lb or 6lb Fireline

Lure

Get a lure that is 3 grams ~ 7 grams, keep it ultra light and small in size.

I can advise you on branded lures to affordable, I'd say get a vibe and a minnow, don't get a top water yet.

Retrieve

1/ Flick Flick
    2/ Straight Crank Slow
    3/ Straight Crank Fast
    4/ Lift and Drop (Sinking) (Watch for Snags, lift it slowly)
    5/ Retrieve and Pause, wait 3 ~ 5 secs and repeat
    6/ Rip it fast

Where to Cast

1/ Along the bank, be careful of snags, lift your rod higher to avoid snags
    2/ Sinking, let it sink to the bottom and slowly life and retrieve
    3/ Along the edge of plants or weeds

--------------------------

I am away now, but when I get back I will try to PM you and if I have the time I will show you some luring tips.

In the meantime, keep casting and relax.

Don't spend too much money on amazing branded lures, enjoy the process.

Don't be influenced on what others are doing but take the advise from everyone and do what is affordable and comfortable.

Hope this helps,
    LMB
  • faizlin09
    Thanks for the write up bro.. very informative and loads of tips.. will try to absorb the infos.. and gonna try them out .. hope to get one this weekend.. *finger crossed*.. thanks again .. really appreciate it
  • tom chua
    hi! may i know what type of lure is best for bedok reservoir????? :)
  • harazz
    Hi Bro Faizlin,

Dont be disheartened and never give up. You are not alone. Myself is also a zero fighter on lure. Started to do saltwater luring about early last yr. Was doing baiting all my fishing yrs.

I too am still trying and learning. Hop to break the egg soon. All the best bro. Tight lines and screaming drag!!!
  • Hidayat86
    Hi bros,

I started luring not long ago, thanks to all those from this forum n those from Habitat lurers, I managed to learn some techniques.

Don't be disheartened of not getting hook ups. Try using suspending lure or float for start to prevent snugs or sangkot on rocks or weeds. Use silverrish pelagic lure or bright colors.

Try twitching, pause for 2 secs, then twitch again. Aggressive fish will attack when it's suspended or falling to bottom.

R h using BC or spinning?
  • faizlin09
    thanks all for the motivation... i have not given up yet... still hoping to get a fish soon .. ive been big O fighter , god knows since when .. haha.. the thing is .. i dunno where it went wrong, it can be the tools im using or its me myself ( this is definitely the ans.. haha)..
    so i just keep on trying and trying..
  • NO FRILLS SG LURES
    If u want, pl pm me & i will demo to u at one of the.canal in singapore. Free of charged. I m uncle yeow meng. Do visit my facebook "NO FRILLS SG LURES". There are catch reports. Suitable for beginners.
  • Michael Lim
    tom chua" said:
    hi! may i know what type of lure is best for bedok reservoir????? :)
    UL minnows and vibes. That place has suffered pretty high fishing activities and the fishes tend to be smarter these days and tend to overlook the more common and bigger lures. That said, they do occasionally still attack some of the bigger topwater lures if they are hungry or territorial.
  • faizlin09
    NO FRILLS SG LURES" said:
    If u want, pl pm me & i will demo to u at one of the.canal in singapore. Free of charged. I m uncle yeow meng. Do visit my facebook "NO FRILLS SG LURES". There are catch reports. Suitable for beginners.

thanks uncle yeow... appreciate ur help.. this weekend gonna learn some luring methods from a fellow kaki here.. will pm u if more help needed.. saw ur facebook catch.. looks great..
  • faizlin09
    Michael Lim" said:
    [quote="tom chua"]hi! may i know what type of lure is best for bedok reservoir????? :)
    UL minnows and vibes. That place has suffered pretty high fishing activities and the fishes tend to be smarter these days and tend to overlook the more common and bigger lures. That said, they do occasionally still attack some of the bigger topwater lures if they are hungry or territorial.[/quote]

is there any specific brand and colour/size u can give an example of.. coz i believe there r tons out there for a blur sotong (btw thats my ranking.. hehe) like me.
  • Michael Lim
    faizlin09" said:
    [quote="Michael Lim"][quote="tom chua"]hi! may i know what type of lure is best for bedok reservoir????? :)
    UL minnows and vibes. That place has suffered pretty high fishing activities and the fishes tend to be smarter these days and tend to overlook the more common and bigger lures. That said, they do occasionally still attack some of the bigger topwater lures if they are hungry or territorial.[/quote]

is there any specific brand and colour/size u can give an example of.. coz i believe there r tons out there for a blur sotong (btw thats my ranking.. hehe) like me.[/quote]

Rapala UL minnow
    IMG_3928s by zac08, on Flickr

Halco scorcerer
    IMG_2504s by zac08, on Flickr

Kozo Spin
    IMG_3114s by zac08, on Flickr

Bassday sugapen (my favourite, but it's bought online from O'seas. Can't get it locally)
    IMG_5070s by zac08, on Flickr
  • faizlin09
    that will be a great help .. thanks bro...
  • tom chua
    thanks bro
    :)
  • Vercisto
    Read thru this Superb informational post. Pumped up after reading. Im a BS as well just getting started on Lure fishing too.
  • faizlin09
    yup im reading up too, but why cant get any fish , beats me .. haha.. just need to find a good spot maybe..
  • Romanion
    faizlin09" said:
    yup im reading up too, but why cant get any fish , beats me .. haha.. just need to find a good spot maybe..
    You normally go where to lure?
  • faizlin09
    usually just go nslk or lower seletar where they play rc boat..
  • peter82p
    Basically, lsr is overfish lately. There are alot of uncles camp and tabao the fish back. If you wanna to hunt for some good size pb or toman, you may need to do some research on map to find a spot which is not overfish. Of course, those spots comes with danger ( PUB ). Tight lines....
  • Freakinfart
    Dont give up bro.

I recently started fishing only.

I cast like over a gazillion times and finally boom my CnR @ kranji reservoir on Saturday.

Got a total of 3 PB within an hour.

I'm using budget surecatch chubby mini.

Usually I will cast along the bushy or rocky area (even though my pro friends say don't cuz higher chances of line snap)

Personally I feel there are no right or wrong steps and no sure 100% catch tip. Just keep casting.