BiGB@RR@'s Fishing Log

BiGB@RR@
edited January 2016 in Catch Reports
Decided to compile all my past and future reports under one single thread.
Saves me a bit of time searching out my older posts for a walk down memory lane.

This was probably one of the oldest reports I posted!
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7170

Here's another one...7 years ago! Geez..time flies!
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=116758

This was of my very first trip to the famed Iwarna FW3 pond!
Forgive my possible overestimation of weights!
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=127656

Quick session at Jurong Lake loooong ago.
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=131509

Another Iwarna FW3 report.
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=129145
  • BiGB@RR@
    My very first Barracuda I think!
    viewtopic.php?f=23&t=138451

Just one of many solo night sorties..
    viewtopic.php?f=23&t=136594

ANOTHER FW3 session.
    viewtopic.php?f=23&t=148658

Luring session with the wifey
    viewtopic.php?f=71&t=160510

Luring with the wife again..
    viewtopic.php?f=71&t=158318
  • BiGB@RR@
    Luring..this time with my daughter too!
    viewtopic.php?f=71&t=167783

My wife's PB PB (Personal Best Peacock Bass)
    viewtopic.php?f=71&t=160792

My PB Giant Snakehead!
    viewtopic.php?f=71&t=161602

One of my first forays into the addicting world of kayak fishing
    viewtopic.php?f=116&t=164498

Micro jigging madness!
    viewtopic.php?f=71&t=188376

New yak!
    viewtopic.php?f=71&t=187516

Adult XXX Fishing~
    viewtopic.php?f=159&t=184159
  • BiGB@RR@
    Kayak CR 260614 - A One Pussy Man

Well, it isn't about my fidelity (not to say I have indulged in any infidelity of course..the wife may be reading...).

After a loooong break from kayak fishing, I finally managed to squeeze time out of my schedule to hit the water again! Asked my kayak kaki if he was free..

Me : Tomorrow free to go yakkin?
    J : Sorry can't. Someone charter my boat.
    Me : No worries..huat lah!
    J : Water very good yesterday.
    Me : Good catches?
    J : Yup

Do note, he did not mention WHERE said good water was.

Anyway, after pondering lengthily about where I should head to..I finally decided to revisit my old playground. What with the recent world cup fever...home ground advantage mah!

Took longer than usual to pack my stuff the night before as I was kinda rusty.
    You know that it has been too long...when cobwebs have formed on your kayak gear..seriously!
    Loaded everything into the car and headed off to lala land for a short nap before heading out at 0600hrs.

Today was one of those days where the weatherman was accurate in his report!
    He was so accurate that it was scorching in the morning!

Paddled off on slick calm water, with the rising sun's orange hues reflecting off the water.
    Made my way further away from 3 sailboats loaded with sailors in training before indulging in a selfie

In the past, the area used to be the regular haunt of schools of Giant Herring, so I kept my eyes peeled for them rolling on the surface, a teasing prelude to rod bendin drag screamin acrobatic action! I finally spotted 2 pods tailing on the calm surface..but they appeared kinda weird. Something was off...the tails didn't look quite like a Giant Herring's.

Nevertheless, I clipped on a Duo Tetra Works Ikakko and made the first cast of the morning.
    The microjig landed nicely past the pod..wwait for it wait for it...jig...sink enticingly...jig jig...NOTHING LEH! That was strange! Maybe they weren't my target fish?
    Made another quick cast in..the fish were still tailing, with a few of them just laying motionless under the surface! I still couldn't identify them..
    Sink sink...jig...sink sink THUMP!! I immediately set the hook and my Kaiser Miniwee 66 rod doubled over, fully loaded, and my El Cheapo Shimano Slade 2500 loaded with 8lb line started screaming! Woohoooo! I was anticipating a headshaking leap clear into the air, attempting to shake the hook, but this fella just powered away into the deep! It would steamroll away..stop..and I would slowly prise it up the water column...and it would take off again!
    Definitely not a Giant Herring now....but what could it be??

Slowly but surely, the unknown bulldozer surfaced, and in the surprisingly clear water for this area, I finally identified my opponent..........................................

Our national marine mascot, true blue local shit eating talent...a 5lb Ah Seng lah....

Oh well...beggars can't be choosers. After all, it was an amazing prolonged fight on UL tackle!
    Gently pried the Duo Tetra Works Ikakko out of it's slimy gob..and released the lubricated pussy.
    Not before another shot with the sun's orange rays reflecting off it's flanks of course.

While the water was indeed clearer than usual, it was strange that these catfish would be frolicking about on the surface. I suspected that something might be wrong, and true to my instincts, the rest of the day would prove fishless! I paddled further than I ever had at this area before, located good structure..tried a variety of lures..cast into the nooks and crannies of a stretch of mangrove system..and NOTHING!

Returned to the launch site an unsatisfied man. Packed up and headed home.

Me : So how's the fishing today?
    J : Good!
    Me : Warlau my side KNS leh!
    J : You should go SPOT XXX, that time I kena the Chermin there. Yesterday had 10 fish in that one spot..got red chicken also.
    Me : WTF.....now then say.......I'm already home...

THAT'S WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR.

Isaac
  • Luke Maow Bear
    lol you had me at
    Well, it isn't about my fidelity (not to say I have indulged in any infidelity of course..the wife may be reading...).
    Great CR! Welcome back!

AND
    Our national marine mascot, true blue local shit eating talent...a 5lb Ah Seng lah....
  • BiGB@RR@
    Luke Maow Bear" said:
    lol you had me at
    Great CR! Welcome back!

AND

[quote]Our national marine mascot, true blue local shit eating talent...a 5lb Ah Seng lah....
    [/quote]

Thanks Luke!
    Sure has been awhile since I posted anything.
    Just been too lazy to work the brains and write a report despite the weekly fishing!
  • BiGB@RR@
    One of my go to lures in the hottest colour for me..
    Duo Spin Bait 80!

• BiGB@RR@
    BIG LURE small fish.
    This little fella bit off more than it could chew on the Jackall Veyron

• BiGB@RR@
    Nice fat 4lb Zebra Tilapia on UL tackle..superb fight.
    On Breadun GSWB-SP..lol

• BiGB@RR@
    My go to lure for searching fish out in deeper water..Ima Barbarossa 95

• BiGB@RR@
    edited June 2014
    GO BIG OR GO HOME!

My personal best Cichla Temensis to date.
    80cm and almost 16lbs of pure overweight acrobatic adrenaline rush!
    Fooled on the Ima Sasuke 140F

• sabai sabai
    Beautiful Temensis!! Well done bro!! =D> =D>
  • BiGB@RR@
    sabai sabai" said:
    Beautiful Temensis!! Well done bro!! =D> =D>
    Thank you for the kind compliments!
    Was just a lucky blind cast! I don't seem to have the same luck when it comes to sightcasting at big fellas though..haha
  • BiGB@RR@
    Ima Honey Trap
    A close second for searching out fish in deep water!

• BiGB@RR@
    Ima Flaming Dart 95
    One of my favourite minnow style search baits.
    Great casting and an erratic action on a simple retrieve.

• BiGB@RR@
    Duo Spin Bait 80 catches anything!
    From a Zebra Tilapia in the day to a Pleco in it's hole!
    No fancy rodwork required, just a retrieve slow enough for it to exhibit it's signature wobble and pauses in between, allowing it to flutter on the drop.

• BiGB@RR@
    Ima Barbarossa 95 surprising with a rare denizen of the deep in the day!

• BiGB@RR@
    Duo Realis Pencil 110 fooled this chunky Haruan.
    Had to cast really tight to overhanging brush in order to entice it to hit. And hit it did..missing 3 times on 3 casts before finally connecting on the fourth! Had to manhandle it out of cover!

• BiGB@RR@
    The smaller brother in the spybaiting phenomenon, Duo Spin Bait 60 works just as well!
    Sebarau and Haruan being a couple of it's notable conquests.

• BiGB@RR@
    Zerek Live Shrimp..great little "soft" plastic for saltwater quarries! The 8lb grouper put up a torrid fight on UL tackle!

• BiGB@RR@
    The Prawnstar is another great shrimp lure! More suited for less snaggy or debris filled water even though they market it as being remarkably snag resistant.

• BiGB@RR@
    Ima Skimmer
    Became a sinking model after this fella had a go at it....

• Luke Maow Bear
    BiGB@RR@" said:

The smaller brother in the spybaiting phenomenon, Duo Spin Bait 60 works just as well!

For the first time I used the DUO Spin thing-things, I was like WTF is this nonsense, it looks like nothing. Then the fish start hitting and hitting and hitting.

I was so used to looking at lure action which is a subtle wobble and brrrrrrrrrt!
  • BiGB@RR@
    Luke Maow Bear" said:
    [quote="BiGB@RR@"]

For the first time I used the DUO Spin thing-things, I was like WTF is this nonsense, it looks like nothing. Then the fish start hitting and hitting and hitting.

I was so used to looking at lure action which is a subtle wobble and brrrrrrrrrt![/quote]

Exactly! I was skeptical initially too! We have been accustomed to lures displaying wide wobbles, erratic darts and strong pulses...while the spin bait seemed to be the exact opposite! But the results speak for themselves :)
  • BiGB@RR@
    OSP Yamoto

The silent alternative when fish have grown wary of noisy topwater lures! Go Sloooow...

• BiGB@RR@
    Another boring Sunday

Been targetting Giant Snakehead for two weekends and both times the targetted species has eluded me. You know it's not meant to be when both arms are sore from the casting and twitching of your lure. To rub salt into the wound, I finally had a bite from a Giant Snakehead today but the hooks failed to find a hold. I only ended up with a scale the size of a 20 cent coin, muddy pants, legs and shoes, a couple of leeches clinging onto me and many tiny cuts from the razor sharp foliage commonly found in Giant Snakehead territory. Sigh..demoralizing no doubt, but I guess it makes success taste sweeter when a retarded Giant Snakehead finally decides to reward my efforts.

Anyway, changed plans and went for some Peacock Bass action after the failed Giant Snakehead mission. You know when you stamp on a cockroach..and to make sure it's really dead, you lean on your foot and grind it into the ground? Well, I was said cockroach and the heavens was said foot. The skies opened up with a thunderstorm directly over my intended spot with a continuous barrage of lightning and thunder in a proximity too close for comfort.

Ended up waiting it out for about an hour before the rain abated to a drizzle comfortable enough to fish. One thing about fishing after a rain is, the water tends to be mirror calm and the mist rolling over the surface lends a dreamlike essence to this picturesque view.

So my kaki and I proceeded casting our Duo Spin Bait 80's. The area we were fishing was shallow and dotted with large boulders and crevices..ideal ambush points for our targetted predator. Simply cover as much water as possible on the cast and retrieve your Spin Bait at a speed slow/fast enough that it won't snag up on the bottom but barely kissing the top of the snags. Sometimes you can allow it to flutter into a deep hole if you are confident enough of not snagging the lure.

You will realise that there are a lot of words. Well, that's because fishing wasn't that hot. My kaki managed the first fish...and I followed up with 2 small fellas soon after..all on Duo Spin Bait 80's in 3 contrasting colours.

Oh well, there's another weekend I'm never getting back....

• sabai sabai
    Nice catch! =D>
  • BiGB@RR@
    sabai sabai" said:
    Nice catch! =D>
    Small fellas only ;(
    I want the big fellas!
    But beggars can't be choosers lah.....at least not jiro fighter....