[Preview] Prototype Jigs and Spoons

Luke Maow Bear
edited December 2014 in Luring & Artificial
The Mysterious Metal Prototypes: Part 1

Recently I was invited by a mystery-brand to test their new lineup of Spoons and Jigs, all very clandestine in nature and needless to say I was pretty chuffed to be handed an unmarked bunch of plastic bags - Ok maybe it said Sheng Siong which added to the covert operative view we all had to uphold.

I went in at night and scaled the roof though the . . . back to the article.

At the point of this article, I have yet to cast them and have based my write up on look and feel together with the finishing. I also did not compare them to any particular lure but to grade them across a category albeit visually.

When I laid them all out it was nothing short of a mardi gras of colour and only missing the cheering boys in hot pants. Fashionable and very current, these lures exhibit thought to the finishing which was tight and was well done, wrapping well around their metal hosts with intermittent disco ball-like markings that clue their shimmering presentation to when I finally use them.

Got Colour

The Mysterious Metal Prototypes: The Spoon

They have double-sided eyeball stickers, which is what I used to do with my Yo-zuri Altima 10G Spoons, remember those? Yea, that’s spoon pedigree right there so these Spoons are going to have to some kind of wonderful things to me to pique my interest - the thought that the eyeballs are on both sides is a mega plus point for me. Well done mysterious brand.

Got Spoon?!

Small Spoon

Big Spoon

They clock in at a hefty 21 and 27 Grams respectively, ding ding ding that's a heavy weight of spinning metal which excites the shore casting fanboi out of me; ah yes, 8.6ft casting rod armed with 10lb line and in this case I will go with a 30lb leader, if I was in Pekan/Rompin I would roll on a 40lb leader outside of the tip.

Random Fact: The Spoon was invented by Len Thompson in about 1929

The challenge for the famous 10 and 14 Gram Spoons of the past was their form factor, where there was a big step up in terms of profile from 10 to 14 Grams, and for some mystical reason the Queenfish were asses about taking the longer casting 14 Gram variant - not the case for our mysterious metal friends.

I also give it to this company to revisit a truly addictive and rewarding form of fishing in a proven lure and by changing a few properties will almost ensure this lure is in most anglers tackle boxes!

Think about it: Spoons are on spinners and also found their way to the Daiwa Bubblemaker and some people use them to eat. nifty!

Big (Top) Small (Below)

These prototype spoons have peculiar hump on the top convex that gives their flutter characteristic away; woah! so hang on a second, what we have here is a long casting flutter spoon that sinks fast?! /epic win

I am banging on just those properties that will make this a winner by arming myself with a shore rod I am guessing the distance covered will be ridiculous for a spoon; one can argue "but there is a siam spoon?!" yes you can, however I see your argument and show hand with a flutter. Will it really do what I think it will? I have not tested them so this is all coffee shop talk and we will argue all night.

Another thought I would like to throw in is will this thing outcast the fabled Pintail Tune? There is a possibility as spoons generally outcast their weight equivalent counterparts. So by covering 30% more distance does that mean it will have a high chance to get smacked by something? Theory craft boys and girls, but it's something you want to consider when the "covering more ground" discussion comes up - which always does.

When I go GT Fishing, I try to cast as far as humanly possible as fish seems to have comfort zones, much like people needing space, fish are sensitive to large shadows and noise, they know when you are about and if you notice when you are offshore long toms (Ikan Todak) will come in from about 30M out to come inspect your lure and sometimes scuff the leader or worst cut you off. This gives you an idea of how well their lateral line can sniff out high-speed objects as they wobble or spin in the water.

That very spidey sense that fish have can also work against you as I mentioned, so the further you cast the farther away you are from the boat (or shore) the better your chances are.

Hawaii is that you?

Application is the all-important question here, what do you think we can use these for? At it's core it's a heavy long cast spoon which is versatile and able to cover a few uses.

The High Speed HG Crank; will attract the pelagic fish such as Queenfish, Mackerels and small GT's, Barracudas and the plethora of Trevallies out there.

Let it Sink; will allow it to flutter and dart down, paired with a feather you are open to just about anything in the depts.

The Legal Area; is where you can really shine, because you will be out casting every single angler there and being able to hit the PB's and Temmies that are parked far away. You know how you see them chase bait but they are too far? Well not anymore.

The Sebarau Hunter; is where you want to go with the lighter version and because all lure, things get snagged and with a faster sinking lure they tend to increase those chances.

My Vote: I vote the high speed crank to be my chosen usage, I will take these bad boys to Pekan or Rompin and use a long rod to cast them as far as I can and let it sink for 6 to 10 seconds and straight crank at ultra high speeds. What's your Vote and Recommendation?

The Mysterious Metal Prototypes: The Jig

Tungsten is a dense material (19.3 times of water), more dense than lead hence Tungsten jigs and Weights are able to have a small form factor than their weight equivalents in lead. It's also called Wolfram and according to Wikipedia it's a Swedish word tung sten and means heavy rock; go figure.

Somewhere someone decided to make a fishing product out of it and I can imagine the "eureka" moment "Alamak sangkot again, I need a smaller weight that can sink just as fast" - hey it is highly probable.

I was given 3 tungsten jigs in total, one is close to 40 grams and the other is estimated to be slightly over 20 grams. (before I could weigh the other one it was sent off for testing in Pekan next week)

Remember these are all prototypes and what I got was a jig that is still in flux in terms of how much metal they are throwing on it, so I guess they will settle on 32, 38 or 40 grams for the heavier ones, and the lighter ones I am hoping are 18, 22 or 24 grams - it's anybody’s guess right now so the jury is out there.

Close to 40 grams

Zebra markings, all the rage now, very haute couture!

I also received lead jigs, what separates these jigs is that they are also a small form factor but molded thicker so they are able to keep the drop-size in check; opening up to almost or on par with Tungsten jigs.

Lead Jigs

Lovely

Fish Snacks

For newer anglers, this can all be very confusing. Start with your terminal tackle, get the right leader, swivel, split ring, solid ring (optional) and jigging hook, make sure you have a fashionable feather if not your friends will laugh at you and in some extreme cases you will have no fish.

Feathers are important for everything

Can you guess the brand?
  • Mambodevil5
    Nice write up ... =D> :smt023 :wave:
  • Zulu27
    Nice! When is the mysterious company launching these? Am interested in the jigs but I would be looking at 150g ones. Any idea if they would be producing in that size? Thanks.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Zulu27" said:
    Nice! When is the mysterious company launching these? Am interested in the jigs but I would be looking at 150g ones. Any idea if they would be producing in that size? Thanks.
    Hi Zulu27, this is the company that did them, viewtopic.php?f=223&t=271924

Enjoy! You can go down to their shop, all the details are there.
  • Zulu27
    cheers Luke