My First Barracuda @ Sultan Shoal 24/09/2006

Sashimi
edited October 2006 in Catch Reports
Time: 3am

Method: Surf Casting

Reel: Over 10 yrs old Shimano Holiday Spin XT 6000 (Never service before)
Rod: Pioneer Surf Cast Rod 10ft
Main line: 20lbs
Leader: 40lbs
Hook size: 4/0

Bait: Whole piece of kelong sotong

Result: Two hard pull with screaming reel… leader line cut… hook gone

2nd Attempt: Return with metal line with 4/0 hook attached to swivel
Bait: A slice of kelong sotong
Result: One hard pull… bait gone.

3rd Attempt: Using similar method, cast back to similiar position.
Bait: Head part of a kelong sotong
Result: Nice bend on the rod accompanied by screaming reel...

Fight Duration: Est. 30 mins

Weight: 18kg

Length: 4 ½ feet

Comments: Had a hard time bringing the fish out from the water, dragged it all the way from the jetty to the shore with the help of my uncle and cousin by hooking the fish with their fishing line. In the end use plier grab hold of the upper potion of the mouth and dragged it up onto the land.

• KormSkanner
    :smt118 !! *Jaws Drop* Nice nice.
  • leowen
    Real Run !!! :wink:
  • clementz
    nice biggie... :D
  • Icebomb
    Oh my. Thats insane :shock:
  • KormSkanner
    Can it be eaten?
  • tanuk
    can you imagine the shock i got when i was awoken at 3am in the morning with 'sashimi' screaming/shouting.." I caught a damn HUGE fish!!!!!!!!" ??? :shock:
  • Fisherman's_friend
    holy smokes! That one big biggie.. nice job done sashimi... Incredible! :twisted:
  • Sashimi
    Hi Shawn, yea... immediately after the fish was caught, i made barracuda sashimi... with wasabi and soy sauce... tasty! juz joking, some pple eat and some don't, i gave it to my frens who eat them.
  • rookie
    nice barra!

:D

next time go sultan shoal pls jio me

:P
  • frank7
    :smt023 Monster !!!
  • Zacf
    May i ask where is Sultan Shoal Jetty ???
    Izzit in singapore???
    Cos nv heard of it be4...

Around which part of singapore???

thank...
  • Ah_jack
    i heard big size barracuda cannot be eaten as it contain mercury which is poison, is that true?
    last friday, someone at punggol end jetty caught a 8kg++ barracuda.
  • ezonme
    Zacf" said:
    May i ask where is Sultan Shoal Jetty ???
    Izzit in singapore???

thank...
    Sultan shoal is a lighthouse in western singapore (just before Jurong Island) but there is a chalet owned by MPA.

Nice catch :)
  • ChrisSoh
    That is one nice Barracuda. Makes great Assam Curry.
  • Aero_GT
    :shock: :shock: 18kg of pure power :shock:congrate .Wow then the one that we encounter at Ah Fatt kelong should b more than 20kg :shock: :shock: estimate to b 8ft++ :shock:
  • ydolphin
    Excellent catch...!
  • r3x
    Aero_GT" said:
    :shock: :shock: 18kg of pure power :shock:congrate .Wow then the one that we encounter at Ah Fatt kelong should b more than 20kg :shock: :shock: estimate to b 8ft++ :shock:
    wOW,
    yOUR encounters always bigger one.. :lol:
    up for u la. :lol:
  • Aero_GT
    r3x" said:
    [quote="Aero_GT"]:shock: :shock: 18kg of pure power :shock:congrate .Wow then the one that we encounter at Ah Fatt kelong should b more than 20kg :shock: :shock: estimate to b 8ft++ :shock:
    wOW,
    yOUR encounters always bigger one.. :lol:
    up for u la. :lol:[/quote]Hai...ya la,everyone fishing beside me saw the cuda swallow my sai toh whole that was about to be landed into the net :shock: :shock: ,the mouths all open so big, as if the jaws r dropping....after which some of them stay far away from the edge :roll: :roll: if u saw the fish u will have the same reaction........8ft+++ cuda staring at u firecely :twisted:.Kelong helper said this is not strange,its quite common,customers bring the sai toh near to the kelong then line just burst like nothing or line kena strip :?: :?:
  • shawnneo
    18kg cuda !!!

that is a monster ....

Good work
  • madfisho
    Hmmm did you get to talk to the caretaker. He will tell you stories of mackerals being caught around the island as well.

I had 2 encounters with those toothy barras at sultan shoals. One ripped my rod and reel off the jetty and steamed away.

Another took my bait which i was spining along the current. It was a one way ticket. and stripped my tiny spinning reel bare. like to be either barra or queenies which are common around that island.

cheers
    des
  • Zacf
    ezonme" said:
    [quote="Zacf"]May i ask where is Sultan Shoal Jetty ???
    Izzit in singapore???

thank...
    Sultan shoal is a lighthouse in western singapore (just before Jurong Island) but there is a chalet owned by MPA.

Nice catch :)[/quote]

How to go dere thn??
    Izzit a island by itself??
  • Sashimi
    I can still recall the reel screaming... really didn't expect such biggie in local water and furthermore from inshore fishing... am i feeling lucky??? Such an unforgetable trip for me... :D
  • Birdmansim
    hi:

taken some photos while travelling to pulau semakau landfill for our company trip last week and happens to notice "very far " a light house which the NEA officer mentioned it is the most southern end of singapore, beyong that light house, it is international sea--and also the buildings next to the oil tanks looks like some holiday resort (unlimited fuel supply for BBQ...)

happy working all or study

sim

• blue_tenggiri
    Sashimi" said:
    Time: 3am
    How do you get there pls ?
  • madfisho
    Hi, guys. Have the decency to read throught the thread before posting questions le.

Already mentioned. Its a private place, either operated by PSA or MPA. And the chalets needed to be booked by these organisation's personnel.

if You must know. There are standard boarding times for ferries to the lighthouse at waterfront (used to. now maybe loading point shifted). HOWEVER, those without bookings to the chalets will NOT be allowed to board vessel. So its basically a private playground.
  • blue_tenggiri
    madfisho" said:
    Hi, guys. Have the decency to read throught the thread before posting questions le.

Already mentioned. Its a private place, either operated by PSA or MPA. And the chalets needed to be booked by these organisation's personnel.

if You must know. There are standard boarding times for ferries to the lighthouse at waterfront (used to. now maybe loading point shifted). HOWEVER, those without bookings to the chalets will NOT be allowed to board vessel. So its basically a private playground.

sorry lah...i saw in this post about chalets owned by PSA or MPA...western part of singapore...no mention how to get there mah. That's y i asked.

if cannot ask, next time say so lah.
  • ezonme
    Birdmansim" said:
    hi:

taken some photos while travelling to pulau semakau landfill for our company trip last week and happens to notice "very far " a light house which the NEA officer mentioned it is the most southern end of singapore, beyong that light house, it is international sea--and also the buildings next to the oil tanks looks like some holiday resort (unlimited fuel supply for BBQ...)

sim
    The 1st photo is P bukom. There is also chalet there for the staff of Shell.
    The 2nd photo is sultan shoal. The most southern island is St john island...there are alot of groupa there.
  • Zacf
    blue_tenggiri" said:
    [quote="madfisho"]Hi, guys. Have the decency to read throught the thread before posting questions le.

sorry lah...i saw in this post about chalets owned by PSA or MPA...western part of singapore...no mention how to get there mah. That's y i asked.

if cannot ask, next time say so lah.[/quote]

ya...
    i agree... it wasnt mention...
    it was out curiousity....
  • kid_79
    ezonme" said:
    [quote="Birdmansim"]hi:

sim
    The 1st photo is P bukom. There is also chalet there for the staff of Shell.
    The 2nd photo is sultan shoal. The most southern island is St john island...there are alot of groupa there.[/quote]

Great!!!, cos my dad is working for shell at Pulau Bukom. Can use his name for booking the chalet there. :wink:
  • kent.peh@hp.com
    kid_79" said:

Great!!!, cos my dad is working for shell at Pulau Bukom. Can use his name for booking the chalet there. :wink:

Glad to hear that. If possible, please jio via FK...post message ok ...thanks.

Kent