Toman Hunting

banhock
edited February 2016 in Luring & Artificial
Hi Guys

For those of you who have tried this lure please feel free to post your catch here.

Never seen anything like this before. Bought it 2months back, never really tried it out until 2wks ago.

Careful it really stinks. Can't get it off for the whole night. Had to sleep with it. Only solution is to wash your hands with detol.

Here's some of my catches.

Cheers.

Ban

• Bashful Hunter
    Yup, it is quite effective. The action is very nice when jigged, like a frog swimming up and down.

Go down all the way on pg 2 to see Toman on Gulp Frog CR

http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/viewto ... 3&start=20
  • FishMonger
    where to get 1? and how much is 1?
  • marlin_dc
    Good day mates,

Glad to know that the gulps are catching fish in Singapore. Down here we have been very sucessfully with the gulps on a variety of fish- bream, whiting, kingfish, tailor, flathead ect. Al;though fishing soft plastics is still not popular in Singapore. Hopfully it picks up soon enough cause they are one heck of an effective fishing method in many locations.

regards
    Darryl

ps Banhock, what jighead are you using for your gulps??
  • banhock
    Hi fishmonger

You can get a packet of it at Joe Tackle. Price on the sticker is $8.90. Maybe can bargain for a discount. I think there's about 10 inside.

Hi DC Marlin.
    The Jig head I got from Sabre Tackle. From Owner. Care to post your catches here?

Had to add in some weedless mechanism for my spot. Heavy vegetation makes jigheads alittle difficult to move about.

Ban
  • ozfisho
    woah, some very interesting way to rig the grubs! the red colour packets of gulps (freshwater version?) doesn't have much of the gulp "juice" but wait till u get the saltwater version, sibei juay "juice" inside man! and the juice will stink ur hands one lor, be warned. caught a toman as well as a carp in sg b4 using the 2" grub on 1/32oz jighead. kaki brought back some minnows and try at paypond say the kims like it very much. it's biodegradable so even if u sangkot u still doing environment a favour.

cheers
    ron

• Bashful Hunter
    This one is fun and tasty
  • banhock
    Here's more from last trip.

• Bashful Hunter
    Nice Hauran CR bro.
  • wrearry
    I find tt they break easily leh....
  • potcy
    thats the point so that u only can use it to catch 1 or 2 fish/es, and would have to buy their product again. that my 2 cents :)
  • Bashful Hunter
    They are much cheaper per piece though. Hard lures are more expensive and you do loose them as well. There are pros and cons. However, Gulp is good to have in your tackle box. They may be in the mood for soft/smelly instead of hard and smell-less

There is a chinese saying "Don't care it is a white or black cat, as long as can catch mouse, it is a good cat".
  • Uluabuster
    Bought a packet of this to try in Tekong Channel & Changi area. Though the packaging says it outfish livebait. The softplastic was left dangling the whole day without a scratch but we run out of live prawns. :P

So my fren told me he is NOT going to use this gulp crap again..

I left the saltwater softplastic shripm in a bucket of water. The water doesn't turn mirky either....so mcuh so for 400X scent dispersant in water.....
  • Fish Fingers
    Uluabuster" said:
    Bought a packet of this to try in Tekong Channel & Changi area. Though the packaging says it outfish livebait. The softplastic was left dangling the whole day without a scratch but we run out of live prawns. :P

So my fren told me he is NOT going to use this gulp crap again..

I left the saltwater softplastic shripm in a bucket of water. The water doesn't turn mirky either....so mcuh so for 400X scent dispersant in water.....
    Hi Uluabuster,

May I know how u fished your softplastic shrimp? Did u simply put it on a hook and park the rod in the holder? Or did u jig it around to impart some movement to it?

Personally, I've yet to try out the Gulp, however once at PRP, my friend was using the plastic crabs convinced by what they wrote on the packaging. He rigged it for parking apollo style. Those bait stealers didn't even show any interest in it. And we were catching fish on dead prawns as well.

I've got a couple of packs of Gulp at home but I've not got round to trying them out yet............
  • banhock
    Hi Bros,

Knock off early today, try out my gulp again. Reach there saw 2 excavator trying to dig up the weeds making the water very milky.

Walk along my usual path. Water unfishable. Very murky. No sign of fish. Walk back and went to the other side of the river. Fifty meters away from the excavator, water condition much better. Start to cast out my gulp. 5mins 1st strike. 10mins another. And another one.

Then suddenly no more action. Was wondering what happen? Then 1 big mama or papa toman hit my gulp. I pump the rod. Reel scream immediately for 2seconds. Then the dreaded "PIAK!" sound. Main line snaped. I was shocked at the power of this fish. As it went further, it made another jump out of the water trying to shake off the hook. As if trying to wave good bye to me.

• dwoon
    Wow..... can you bring me luring one day.... and teach me how to do it? :)
  • hungry ang chor
    i went to TMJ to try the berkley glup.. well not bad i got 5 strikes miss 3 landed 2 .. will try to use it again next time . :D
  • banhock
    Sorry Dwoon

My spot is now very murky because of the construction work going on upstream. Unfishable. Will let you know when I think its ok to go back else its a waste of time going there.

Ban
  • dwoon
    Thanks Ban. Do let me know the next time..... need not be that spot. Can be pay ponds or others.....

Basically, I wish to learn the art of luring.... not the spot itself.

Thanks.
  • fishingboy
    banhock bro,
    I could not agree more with you! Gulp certainly rocks. it's just that i don't like the smell :wink:
  • banhock
    Hi Fishingboy

Nothing is perfect. Just have to live with the pros & cons and make the best out of it.

I found a way to minimize the smell in your hand. That is to dig your fingers in the mud and then use this mud as a separator/glove to pickup the gulp and hookit up. After that just wash the mud away from your hands.

Cheers.

Ban
  • banhock
    Hi Dwoon

If you just want to know how to work your lure, it just takes alot of practise.

For surface lures, keep your tip low and twitch alittle and crank 1 round. Keep doing this until you are happy with the action.

Another trick I found easy is to hold steady/rigid on the reel handle and use the other hand holding the rod and crank the handle. The constant moving of the rod will give you similar action.

When using Berkley gulp try to imagine an injured fish trying to swim and then stop. In weedy areas like mine, I reel in the lure until it reaches on opening where there's no weeds. Then I let the gulp sink to the bottom. Twitch alittle to give it that lively action then let it sink again. If the fish is there and in the feeding mode you are bound to get a hit.

I add in the propeller to give an added advantage of sound. The vibration from the propeller will call to the fish nearby. Note too big a propeller will cause your gulp to rotate with it. Thereby you suffer in action. So go for small to medium size first.

Vary your retrieval speed. Slow, fast, medium. Take note of the sound and the water bubbles created by the propeller.

Good Luck.

Ban
  • dwoon
    Hi Ban

thanks for the advise. I guess that is part of what I need to learn. The other is the method/art of fixing up the lure. Like what you mentioned, the spinner/propeller attachment, etc..... they're all new to me. :oops:
  • joeyjoey
    what does this berkley gulp smell like.? can homemade them.? like shit on the rubber grubs.? :D kidding. where can i buy them.?
  • ben
    joeyjoey" said:
    what does this berkley gulp smell like.? can homemade them.? like shit on the rubber grubs.? :D kidding. where can i buy them.?
    Smells extremely salty if you ask me. It`s available at sincere and joe`s tackle as far as i know. Joey hows fishing lately?
  • joeyjoey
    exams now. haha. have to study like mad. just 3 weeks more. thanks for asking anyway. :D
  • banhock
    Hi guys

Glad you guys can join in. Here's some more pics. Would have more if not for my canon camera konk off. Anyway was there last Sunday, saw a bunch of Thais there using leng. Very disappointing.

Cheers.

Ban

• ozfisho
    Hey banhock mate, great stuffs with the gulps! :smt023 I can see that you're using pretty much a heavy lead head. Does the propeller sort of keep the rig afloat? I know the 3" minnows are kinda weighty doesn't that make your rig plummet? If that's the case am I right to assume that the moment your gulp landed you're doing a quick constant surface retrieve? The reason I'm asking is that my knowledge of tomans are that they are surface feeders? Thanks! :wink:

Cheers
    Ronald
  • banhock
    Hi Ozfisho/Ronald

The propeller will keep the rig afloat if you real it fast. I attached it there just to create more sound/vibration. You'll be surprise that fishes as far as 3meters will respond with lightning speed.

Yes, the minnow is heavy enough. But I want to cover more area so need more cast distance. The lead weight can give me another extra 5m distance. It also allows the lure to sink faster when I want it to.

Because the area I am fishing has alot of weeds I have no choice but to retrieve it as soon as it hits the water else might get snagged.

My retrieval speed is moderate. As long as the propeller is creating some ripples at the surface you should get something.

Toman are not just suface feeders, sometimes when I see it charging for my lure, I slow down on my retrieval, let the lure sink even. It will still take it.

Good Luck.

Ban
  • banhock
    Here's more CR.

TRIPS
© Copyright 2016