Guide set and sizes for 12ft spinning

bugeyed
edited July 2014 in Rods
Stripped a 12ft prokat surf rod to convert to spinning. Anyone can recommend ring sizes for a set of guides? Will be using hardloy. :)
  • physlo2
    bugeyed" said:
    Stripped a 12ft prokat surf rod to convert to spinning. Anyone can recommend ring sizes for a set of guides? Will be using hardloy. :)
    If you are fishing with mono, start with size 40 downwards. It does not look nice but it is the most practical way. How many guides do you intend to put and what is the tip size?
  • Seabass
    I beg to differ physlo, I think that 40 is abit too big for low reel with size 2-3oz. If you do not mind my kaypohness, I would like to share my opinion.

I like casting the rod but 2-3oz is the most I'd use, with that sinker smaller guides can be used. It will be running guides 12 (40lb) 16 (60lb), choke guide 20 25 30. Size 12 tip do not trap a 60lb shockleader when I use mono for the 13ft model. Originally is was meant for multiplier, I placed a spinning on mine and cast it was OK im terms of line flow. I stopped doing it because I find the blank twisting. Before I knew it, the rod is built. I cannot cast far, but I take it that 140-50m is good enough for that blank. I have been trying for months but it just doesn't get past that barrier. If it does, I will be very enthusiastic to put lowriders on it too.
    Maybe 1 day when you are free, I should bring mine to let you pendulum cast it. I am quite intrigue how much further that rod can go when in hands of someone into sportcasting.
  • physlo2
    Seabass" said:
    I beg to differ physlo, I think that 40 is abit too big for low reel with size 2-3oz. If you do not mind my kaypohness, I would like to share my opinion.

I like casting the rod but 2-3oz is the most I'd use, with that sinker smaller guides can be used. It will be running guides 12 (40lb) 16 (60lb), choke guide 20 25 30. Size 12 tip do not trap a 60lb shockleader when I use mono for the 13ft model. Originally is was meant for multiplier, I placed a spinning on mine and cast it was OK im terms of line flow. I stopped doing it because I find the blank twisting. Before I knew it, the rod is built. I cannot cast far, but I take it that 140-50m is good enough for that blank. I have been trying for months but it just doesn't get past that barrier. If it does, I will be very enthusiastic to put lowriders on it too.
    Maybe 1 day when you are free, I should bring mine to let you pendulum cast it. I am quite intrigue how much further that rod can go when in hands of someone into sportcasting.
    I was under the impression that the surf rod was to be built for spinning (high mounted), I have yet to see anyone who surf fish (low mount) with a spinning reel.. :yawinkle:

When pairing a long surf rod with big pit spinning reels, size 40(stripper) is necessary for the coils to passed through effectively. Low rider guides looks nice but it cuts down on distance (especially with mono). I do find the size 40 ugly but it is the most practical way on a (long surf spinning rod paired up with a big pit spinning reel).

By the way, sharing a finding can benefits others. I'm keen to meet new kakis to share experiences. Drop me a PM with your contact. Cheers!
  • kknlk
    I'm late with my opinion but I don't agree with Seabass. What has casting weight got to do with the size of butt guide? Determination of size of butt guide has more to do with the size of the reel you intend to use. A good source of info can be found at other websites but the current trend is using Fuji's new guide concept. With this you use a butt guide that is about half the diameter of your reel's spool. So if diameter is 55mm then use a size 30 guide. Placement of guide is crucial and if you look up Fuji's advice you need to find the choke point and determine placement from there. It's quite easy once you understand what is needed. All this looks at how the line comes off the reel and minimises the friction of the line going thru the guides to maximise your casting distance.

You may have already rebuilt your rod but I went from the traditional way of setting up guides to Fuji's and it's worked well. Always tape your guides and test cast. That way you'll know whether it's set properly. I've had to adjust positioning guides many times.

If you can't find the articles I'm alluding to pm me.

kk