Berkley Gulp Alive Spray

beemer2007
edited April 2012 in General Fishing
Hi,

I was shopping at one of the local tackle shop and came across this spray which boosted to increase the chances of fish strike by using scent to attract.

Search through the internet and got mixed reactions...
some people positive of its results where others negative.

however all the comments are not from local...
so does anyone use it locally before and give your comments?

Regards.
  • Michael Lim
    May increase your chances, how much I won't know for sure. But if it can increase your chances, why not?

I used it on a walk the dog lure at Semakau and got a parrotfish to hit my lure. 8)

• axesaces
    Our very own toman expert Banhock swears by scent ! If I am not wrong he uses the berkley gulp spray scent too . http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/viewto ... ht=banhock
  • azariel
    i must first caveat that i dont have much experience as alot of the pros here.

i tried several, and mostly used it at ponds to try to test the effect. i tried both berkeley gulp and halco catch attractant. i personally felt that it didnt really improve the catch rate significantly. i tried shrimp and herring scents. maybe garlic would be better but shrugs. also tried it at a freshwater pond (nanyang lake) with little success (but then again that day everyone was baiting around me so it was a flawed experiment)

i have not actually tested it extensively in the "wild", my use of it at reservoirs have resulted in zero catches, but then again, the majority of my reservoir trips are zero catches so maybe its just me.

also, the liquid in berkley gulp rubbers is a different scent right? or more concentrated at least, cause its way stinkier than the spray from the bottle. the gulp rubbers appear more effective than spray the scent on hard lures.

next up, im gonna experiment with my own home made scent - tuna oil from those canned tuna, mixed with copious amounts of garlic and prawn essence haha.
  • Clueless
    I've always wanted to try such spray-on scents too. As mod Michael says, if it can help why not? But I wonder how strong will the spray last. How often must you keep re-spraying it? And if it stays long, I will probably need to remember to wash the lure thoroughly before going home, or else my tacklebox will be damn smelly! :D
  • azariel
    it recommends spraying after every 10-15 casts. which means you'll burn through the bottle quite alot if you spend the whole day luring haha.

but otherwise, the smell from the spray bottle is really not strong at all. a quick wipe with wet wipes, and there is hardly a lingering scent.
  • Michael Lim
    Let's just put it this way, I probably have a few believers in me after the last trip up to a fishing pond in Malaysia.

They were parking live prawns for a couple of bites at night and I used the other next best thing to a live bait, Berkley gulp alive minnows.

They were still asking me what I was doing then as they knew I wasn't much of a baiter, to which I replied I was parking rubber.

They looked at me in amazement and with even bigger eyes as the fishes took the bait. :lol:

The Halco catch scent also got me a couple of believers in a different trip. Fishing at auntie pond, we didn't get a single bite until I helped my fren apply some on his washed out bait. Almost within 3 mins he got a bite and landed his fish, another fren also had some applied on his bait and also landed a fish pretty quickly.

That trip got us 6 fishes on the scent coated baits (pretty good considering we may have blanked out without the scent)
  • ahhong
    this guy spry the scent to a bare jig head and he got a fish ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpD8JRIsrsY
  • Bulz
    Michael Lim" said:
    Let's just put it this way, I probably have a few believers in me after the last trip up to a fishing pond in Malaysia.

They were parking live prawns for a couple of bites at night and I used the other next best thing to a live bait, Berkley gulp alive minnows.

They were still asking me what I was doing then as they knew I wasn't much of a baiter, to which I replied I was parking rubber.

They looked at me in amazement and with even bigger eyes as the fishes took the bait. :lol:

The Halco catch scent also got me a couple of believers in a different trip. Fishing at auntie pond, we didn't get a single bite until I helped my fren apply some on his washed out bait. Almost within 3 mins he got a bite and landed his fish, another fren also had some applied on his bait and also landed a fish pretty quickly.

That trip got us 6 fishes on the scent coated baits (pretty good considering we may have blanked out without the scent)
    haha bro..

i think our local fish all got cert one..gen 2k fishes smarter than our fathers' olden days..

i even heard to apply olive oil on worms to attract fishes. but i never try cos later my entire hand oily before casting. :roll:
  • Michael Lim
    Bulz" said:
    [quote="Michael Lim"]Let's just put it this way, I probably have a few believers in me after the last trip up to a fishing pond in Malaysia.

haha bro..

i think our local fish all got cert one..gen 2k fishes smarter than our fathers' olden days..

i even heard to apply olive oil on worms to attract fishes. but i never try cos later my entire hand oily before casting. :roll:[/quote]

Mebbe not better educated, but more scarce...
  • bal2
    Anyone uses berkley gulp sandworm before??
  • FishingKaki.com
    bal2 said:
    ​Yes have.
  • Michael Lim
    bal2 said:
    https://flic.kr/p/actsX1

https://flic.kr/p/abN5jX

TRIPS
© Copyright 2016