How to tie reliable Sabiki rigs?

stickbom!
stickbom!
edited January 2011 in General Fishing
Sabiki rigs are easily found on the market but most of them break after a few fishes. Was thinking of tying my own rigs but the usual knots used for heavy apollo rigs seem to weaken lighter lines and they are prone to breaking too. Does anyone here know a reliable and simple way to tie Sabiki rigs and also how to dress the hook with colored hair?

Comments

• chris@sg
    chris@sg
    i snell the spade end hook and use a short piece of lumo tube to trap the colored hair behind the knot.. (think of the shrink tube on assist hooks?)

got very tired and frustrated trying to snell the hair onto the hook..
  • stickbom!
    stickbom!
    Thanks Chris. Will try that! Just tied some bare 3 hook sabiki rigs and trying to figure out the easiest way to dress those gold Duel Hyperwire hooks :D
  • chris@sg
    chris@sg
    this is mine..

the hair looks a lot because its doubled up .. havent tried it to know if effective tho..
  • chris@sg
    chris@sg
    slight variation ..

red size 7 spade end hooks, snelled using 6lb maxima chameleon and dressed with white hair.. dont know if it will work for mullets if i float it ?

• stickbom!
    stickbom!
    Nicely done! Where can I buy those white "fur"?
  • chris@sg
    chris@sg
    i bought it at 2000 tackle when they were still at tampines.. didnt look around since then.. but if you have time, i think you can try to fray a white shoelace
  • stickbom!
    stickbom!
    Thanks again Chris
  • tmlim
    tmlim

Another good substitute for the colored furs would be the strings sold at handicraft shop to make butterfly emblem. The furs are created by fraying the end of the string and pulling out its center core to a desired length. A meter of this string can last me years of Sabiki making ... but I only fish once a year. :lol:

During tying, the hook is held firmly at the bend to prevent twisting, turning and obstruction. I apply the Domhoff knot to secure the furs onto the hook shank. The Domhoff knot is made up of a series of six whips around the hook shank. This creates a neat lock upon the hook and furs assembly that won't slip and will not lose any strength as the line is pulled tight. The furs are then trimmed at both ends for the finishing touch.

The suitable line poundage and hook size for the Sabiki also depends on the clarity of the water. From my experience, too thick a line and furs can spook the fish and render the Sabiki ineffective in luring.
  • abfackeln
    abfackeln
    Not exactly a sabiki but a 2 hook 4/0 paternoster, a lot like the snapper snatcher rig the kiwis and aussies like to use except i got a lumo bead in the squidy's head. Threads are tied directly on the snood with a reef knot. The thread is destroyed after 4-5 fish.

• fishpullipull
    fishpullipull
    abfackeln" said:
    Not exactly a sabiki but a 2 hook 4/0 paternoster, a lot like the snapper snatcher rig the kiwis and aussies like to use except i got a lumo bead in the squidy's head. Threads are tied directly on the snood with a reef knot. The thread is destroyed after 4-5 fish.
    d above looks like a killer jig......good one abfackeln :smt023
  • chris@sg
    chris@sg
    while i was told by a malay uncle at bjt this morning that tambans dont like red (i was testing the red hook with white fur) hence i didnt get a bite (not many people had much bites anyway, including the uncle himself), i did have some attacks by todaks (abt 20 cm skinny ones.., there was a 40 cm one more interested in my lure)

so out of curiousity .. is there a color list for tambans? that they only like gold hooks and green/white fur? anyhting else and they dont bite?
  • arze
    arze
    chris@sg" said:
    while i was told by a malay uncle at bjt this morning that tambans dont like red (i was testing the red hook with white fur) hence i didnt get a bite (not many people had much bites anyway, including the uncle himself), i did have some attacks by todaks (abt 20 cm skinny ones.., there was a 40 cm one more interested in my lure)

so out of curiousity .. is there a color list for tambans? that they only like gold hooks and green/white fur? anyhting else and they dont bite?
    from experience they usually take green and white feathers, all the uncles there sell with gold hooks, so i think its safe to say that this combination is the best for tambans there. i have not seen other colors used effectively
  • Icebomb
    Icebomb
    From my experience, white fur with gold hooks seems to work a little better than the green ones. I used to like Anglers Pals furry sabiki in the past but the recent new batch seems a little weak at the terminal end... I've found a good substitute in the Sabiki found at Chop Hock Heng... works like a peach. I've used to size 6 to good effect in TP bringing up some sagais and even a kaci... it didnt manage to get the suspected parrot up though... :lol:
  • Jmm
    Jmm
    I saw a Malay woman using the silver hook instead of gold hooks at bjt. She had the most successful catch of tamban that morning. All of us were using the usual hooks. I asked her where she bought those silver tamban jig. Was told that she bought it at Changi. Last Saturday I went to Changi and got 3 packets of the silver hook...size 5 only. Wanted to get size 3 or 4 but they are not available.

Sorry, I did not go fishing for tamban for quite some time.
  • stickbom!
    stickbom!
    Thanks everyone!
  • abfackeln
    abfackeln
    Update, reading the posts here gave me an idea, I tried it and it works, but its not easy.

1) Bunch up the few threads and braid them 3-4 times (like the FG knot's braid) around the middle of the hook shank, pack the braid as tightly as possible.

2) Begin the Domhoff knot wraps BEFORE the braid section and end AFTER the thread braids, make sure braid is completely covered plus a bit more.

3) Finish Domhoff as per normal and slide entire knot (including the braids on the inside) up to the eye/spade.

4) Trim threads to your liking.

No chance to test this DIY sabiki yet, but the threads feel very secure inside the domhoff.
  • layman
    layman
    something not so neatly tied.. :p lumo green and shiny white theme..

30lb fc and no. 6 mustad stainless steel long shank hook..

anyone knows where to buy those sabiki skin/paper?

• Michael Lim
    Michael Lim
    chris@sg" said:

If I'm not mistaken. It has to do with the colour spectrum and how it shows up in the water.

The colour combination should try to resemble the food that they are after, which in this case should be shrimps. The greenish hue or whitish hue over a gold core may be the key attractant. :)
  • chris@sg
    chris@sg
    dont know why, but recently been interested in targeting swajiam and mullet using tamban set ups.. hence trying to switch around .. red being something that swajiam are supposed to be attracted to...
  • Michael Lim
    Michael Lim
    chris@sg" said:
    dont know why, but recently been interested in targeting swajiam and mullet using tamban set ups.. hence trying to switch around .. red being something that swajiam are supposed to be attracted to...
    swajiam? I only catch then on sandworms... you intend to use only the jig?
  • chris@sg
    chris@sg
    want to try.. but seriously, i think they need bait.. mullets on the other hand.. i wonder if they will fall for white sabiki as 'bread' fly.. i read about berleying them first.. but now.. to locate the larger ones..
  • abfackeln
    abfackeln
    The sand whitings around Pulau Ketam/Kelang (KL) take white thread/red head sabikis, you may want to try that.
  • chris@sg
    chris@sg
    they do? where's p. ketam?
  • abfackeln
    abfackeln
    P. Ketam is west of KL
  • chris@sg
    chris@sg
    ok.. our local fishes are pampered..
  • chris@sg
    chris@sg
    abfackeln : been trying check out the domhoff.. seems fairly similar to snell? from the pics i am looking at (gofishing.co.uk), i seem to be tying the domhoff knot in the opposite direction .. instead of looping around the shank from the gape to the eye, i am doing in from the eye down to the gap..
  • abfackeln
    abfackeln
    chris@sg" said:
    abfackeln : been trying check out the domhoff.. seems fairly similar to snell? from the pics i am looking at (gofishing.co.uk), i seem to be tying the domhoff knot in the opposite direction .. instead of looping around the shank from the gape to the eye, i am doing in from the eye down to the gap..
    The knot for the snell is on the outside, for the Domhoff, there are no knots at all, both snood and tag end are wrapped inside, the outside is perfectly smooth. Its really hard to describe how to tie a Domhoff, but basically:

1) If the hook has an eye, pass leader through the eye and form a loop of about 10cm circumference with the tag end protruding just beyond the end of the hook.

2) Pinch the eye end of the loop against the hook shank.

3) (This the tough part) Use the remainder of the loop to wrap around tag end and hook shank about 6-7 wraps. The loop must pass over and into the hook tip.

4) Pull on tag end and then pull on snood end.

5) Pull on snood end to slide entire knot up to the eye.
  • chris@sg
    chris@sg
    just tried the domhoff.. seems to be a tad bit difficult, but lesser chance of abrading the line when tightening the knot..
  • chris@sg
    chris@sg
    looks like domhoff knot (the first, third and fourth knots)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3Im8x3i2Nk
  • abfackeln
    abfackeln
    chris@sg" said:
    ok.. our local fishes are pampered..
    Sorry, made an error, was not P.Ketam, that was another trip, this was Sungei Besar, got an assortment of Sand Whitings, Flat heads and baby Jews. Sand whitings on sabiki.

Leave a Comment

© Copyright 2016