CR : Team S.L.A.P. & Friends - Trikora (TP)

Kelvin Gerard
edited May 2005 in Catch Reports
Date: Monday, 9th May to 10th May 2005

Anglers: Team S.L.A.P. (Leslie, Irvin, Vernon & Kel) with guest stars – Desmond, the Ong brothers - Zihao & Zixian and Guan Lun (a.k.a “Gao Tun�)

For three weeks prior to our return to Trikora, we were busy checking weather and catch reports for TP. After hearing that our buddies (Team S.E.P.A.K.) experiencing a mini ‘perfect storm’ a few weeks back, we kept our fingers crossed that the weather and sea-state would at least be ‘angler-friendly’.

Departed Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal at 9.30 am and arrived at Elly’s at approximately 12.00 noon. Tucked into a great lunch (as usual) and headed out to sea at 1.30 pm.

Two hours to our first spot and as soon as our lines went down – we started hauling up some small groupers, pig-faced bream, a couple of small bludgers and not forgetting – the permanent resident of TP waters - Mr. Kaci (sweet lip). Les missed a big take here that saw his Saltiga Z6000 go into overdrive for a few seconds.

Zixian (with a little assistance from Irvin) got the prize of a nice tusk fish (approximately 1.5 kg) and brightened up our hopes. Thirty minutes later, as if to taunt us – it all got dampened by rain and strong winds. Nevertheless, it was still ‘fish-able’ so life went on and more medium sized fishes were hauled up.

Dinner was prepared and we made off for our nightspot (I could practically see Zihao licking his lips and relishing the thought of some big ones). The rain and winds stopped and if I could have done Bobby Brown’s “Running Man� – I would have! Ha! ‘No skool like the old skool’!

The usual catches were produced – bludgers, ‘sagai’ (what the hell do you call this fish in English?), and sweet lip. After two hours or so, there was still nothing to take on Zihao’s Extreme Crossbow and Penn 16s set up (hey, you may never know). Of all the gears that we with us, I wanted to see that set up in action.

Noticed a little twitch on my rod and as soon as I reeled in some line, it took off. The way it was diving – I suspected that it was a string ray. But you know how it is when one is fighting a stingray; we secretly hope that it’s not a stingray!

The ray proved to be quite good with line taken out of the Torium 30. While I was hauling up the ray, Zihao started checking his set up and I think he was talking to me and asked ‘why is my line so slack’ (or something to that effect) - but I was concentrating on my catch. After a while, Zihao started cranking up his reel and as soon as the ray surfaced - we broke out in laughter! This fellow had eaten both our baits! A first for Zihao and myself - one fish, two leaders attached. The deckie tried scooping the 15lb ray with a catch net but it could not fit (duh!), so it was duly gaffed.

After the ray, there was not much action except for a bludger trevally (every twenty or thirty minutes) and I lost a good take – damn swivel opened up.

At about 11.45 pm, Desmond’s ratchet from his Torium 20 sounded off and he was in action. Here we go! From the transom to the portside, then it got stuck to the bottom of the seabed. All of a sudden a picture of the late Ray Charles appeared in my head! And if there was a Deejay on board – I would have requested for the song by China Crisis - ‘do you believe in Black Man Ray?’

Desmond tried his best in pumping and screaming (and cursing too), but it refused to budge – so, Leslie attached a sinker to Desmond’s main line and let it sink to the bottom. It worked! The ray spooked and the battle began again. The ray was steadily taking out line and after what seemed like forever for Desmond, he asked for someone to take over. Irvin stepped up and the fight was renewed.

Fifteen minutes into the renewed fight and the ray was still taking out line. Then the unthinkable happened – the ray decided to change directions and swam under the boat. Big ray + boat hull = snapped main line. On hindsight, there were a couple of things we should have implemented, but it’s over and done with. No point in crying over a lost fish - it proved to be better than us. We also agreed that that with all the pumping and drag, the ray was not even bothered. It just went about its usual business in flapping it’s graceful wings and was just cruising. We got the bruising! Desmond, how’s the tummy?

With the ray gone, the action soon died off (except for the hardworking deckies) and the only big one that surfaced was a barracuda (by deckie). From 2.00 am till 6.30 am the current was really raging and all we got was a big fat zero.

After breakfast the skipper made off to another spot and finally, we could “start work� again. Tusk fish, sweet lips, groupers and pig-faced breams were hauled up.

I must admit that the deckies (armed with handlines) contributed to the majority of our catch. I dread to think of the fact if we were the only ones fishing. In my personal opinion the catch rate in these waters has dropped. However, we managed to fill up the big orange cooler box, which is not too bad for 24 hours of fishing (no complains whatsoever) – it could have been worse.

Even though there was no feeding frenzy (pretty normal in TP to experience a feeding frenzy), each of us took home ample fish for family and friends. Let’s just say that for me personally, I have instructed my maid to stop buying fish from the market till further notice.

Thanks to our good friend RK for all the pointers and booking this trip on our behalf. Much appreciated buddy.

Trip tips and highlights: -

* Any new way to fish? Yes, please check with “Gao Tun�. He will demonstrate and show you how to fish without a hook – oh my, I am still in tears just thinking about this incident.

* Food? As usual, the ‘sotong goreng’ at Elly’s is out of this world (a must have for any visiting angler.

* Live squid at night? Whoa! Plentiful – thanks to skipper and deckies.

* Gears? Don’t worry if your gear is considered slightly overkill. Fishing in these waters especially at night, its better to be prepared. If someone uses an Abu 6500C at night, please tie him to an ‘unjam’ and leave him there (pick him up on the way back in the morning). Nothing personal, but it will be a chore trying to sort out crossed lines.

* Weather wise and sea-state? Not too bad, just very strong current for a couple of hours that made fishing impossible.

* The look on Desmond’s face and body posture while fighting the ray? Priceless! The image has been burned into my brain for my entire lifetime.

* Any secrets to getting fish? Yes – please sprinkle Johnson’s Baby Powder all over yourself and your rod. You are bound to get a big hook up! Geez! For more info, please check with Desmond.

* Fishing company? Sweeet! Totally!

Main highlight

One of the deckies landed a 2kg tusk fish and while we were distributing our catch at Elly’s kelong, we were in some sort of a predicament – who gets the tusk fish? The Ong brothers had one to share and I had my own personal tusk fish. So, it was down to the rest of the guys. In future when one is faced with a similar situation – adopt the primary school method. ‘O-ah-pee-ah-som’ and ‘scissors, paper, stone’. Had the kelong crew laughing at us. Bunch of ‘old foggies’ fighting over a fish! To make matters worse, the eldest one among us won (no prizes for guessing who).

Thank you for reading this catch report (hope I didn’t bore you to death). Enjoy the pics and video clip of the lost ray loaded on the team's site : http://www.teamslap.net/catchoftheday.htm

Kelvin, OUT!

• Kelvin Gerard
    a little more pics

• sleepyrgr
    Nice CR..... Really enjoyed reading it... and best of all.. with all the nice pic... See the parrot so nice man.... :D
  • iam537
    :smt021 Me old? Kel you bend down see I old or not ! :smt076

BTW nice CR though! :prayer: :supz:

Desmond, from the pic, it was not your stomach that was bruised. :smt118
  • Melvin Ng
    Hi everyone,

Is that pole white from the Johnson Baby Powder? :smt119

Anyway, great catches and great company I see there. :smt023
  • Kelvin Gerard
    Melvin Ng" said:
    Hi everyone,

Is that pole white from the Johnson Baby Powder? :smt119

Anyway, great catches and great company I see there. :smt023
    Lol .... I guess Des must have "blessed" the entire boat with the powder! :lol:
  • Kelvin Gerard
    iam537" said:
    :smt021 Me old? Kel you bend down see I old or not ! :smt076

BTW nice CR though! :prayer: :supz:

Desmond, from the pic, it was not your stomach that was bruised. :smt118
    Relax lah bro ... :lol: Ok we see who is older? 'O-ah-pee-ah-som'! There you win ... you're definitely older! :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • Mike Goh
    Wah Kelvin, very good reporting by you. Just reading your report make me laugh :smt041

Ha i was wondering what tusk fish you were talking about and fighting over it, until i see the parrot. Ha ha it is indeed one lovely eating fish. I will exchange a grouper for a parrot anytime.

As for Leslie the "Old Man" haha, didn't you know that old man are always the most chio chor one. Just my recent trip, the OLDMAN beat all the young man to the lucky draw price of a custom rod :smt076 Two oldman fight it out, him and me but he won it because he is older :smt062

Nice catch report Kelvin. I think next time we will award the best catch report of the month :supz:
  • Jeffrey Tee
    Kelvin,

Nice report~! I think it made all of us sitting behind the monitor wish we were there to witness it all. :smt036

Keep up the good reports and keep wetting those lines! =D>
  • Kelvin Gerard
    Many thanks Mike, Jeff, sleepy and all for the kind comments. :oops:

Well for the rest of the mates with us - if you need the pics, it's stored on the team's webby http://www.teamslap.net/piscatorialpics.htm

Just click the thumbnail (Trikora - May '05) to access the web album. Happy viewing!
  • hellgeese
    Zhihao and brother, i salute u guys, still look so fresh after the rompin trip, by the way, nice catches, if got any left , give it to me :lol:
    Lots of luck
  • iam537
    Mike Goh" said:
    Wah Kelvin, very good reporting by you. Just reading your report make me laugh :smt041

Ha i was wondering what tusk fish you were talking about and fighting over it, until i see the parrot. Ha ha it is indeed one lovely eating fish. I will exchange a grouper for a parrot anytime.

As for Leslie the "Old Man" haha, didn't you know that old man are always the most chio chor one. Just my recent trip, the OLDMAN beat all the young man to the lucky draw price of a custom rod :smt076 Two oldman fight it out, him and me but he won it because he is older :smt062

Nice catch report Kelvin. I think next time we will award the best catch report of the month :supz:
    Mike - Yah agree older man always win....remember the movie 'Old man and the Sea'? :smt115
  • Amberjack Hunter
    KG
    Thanks to our good friend RK for all the pointers and booking this trip on our behalf. Much appreciated buddy.
    KG, no problem mate, its really been a pleasure and very glad you guys enjoyed the trip.

The catches aren't that bad either man... and as usual your mesmerising CR... aaahh my next trip you do for me lah ok...make it a stunning one. :wink: :)

Teh tarik halia this Sat on me brudder... chalo.

Rgds
    Bro RK
  • Kelvin Gerard
    Amberjack Hunter" said:
    KG
    KG, no problem mate, its really been a pleasure and very glad you guys enjoyed the trip.

The catches aren't that bad either man... and as usual your mesmerising CR... aaahh my next trip you do for me lah ok...make it a stunning one. :wink: :)

Teh tarik halia this Sat on me brudder... chalo.

Rgds
    Bro RK
    No probs bro. You need photographer and reporter? I can tag along (just trying my luck) - don't need to fish. Just provide on board entertainment.

Hahahahahaha!

Cheeers! Will try my best to make it Saturday!
  • Grago
    Thanks Kel. We live to pen this story. :D Keep our passion burning 8)
  • Grago
    Hmmm.. dun see me in much action here... :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • Ghani
    Grago" said:
    Hmmm.. dun see me in much action here... :lol: :lol: :lol:
    May be you "Koon" too much lar. :lol:

Just like me :oops:

ghani
  • James Wang
    Kel and the rest:

Two thumbs up for the report and nicely taken pix!!! Thx Kel and Les.

Wonder if Desmond has recovered from the bruising for that few minutes without gimbre... Now we know the secret formula, do a powder bath, use your weakest gears and you will get something big mama. Desmond practically retired after the major fight... and joined the gang of sleeping beauties making it 25% of the fighters gone.

My younger bro too suffered from blue/black for not wearing a gimbre.

I remember the biggest parrot is from Zixian. Hehe... Just that during the split, we decided to take the smaller one and the biggest to give the one of rest of the guys as a gift. Damn, the parrot made me drool all over. Zixian thought it has sangkot after Irvin helped him to wack him out. Thx Irvin for helping him out while I was on the other side. I think I should have given my younger bro a lighter setup like 665N on another Xtreme without the Afico. He might have done better...hee. Anyway, my bro would like to thank the rest who helped him.

For me, nothing really impressive except for that ray shared with Kel. Really interesting to get a double hooked fish. It cant even take out any line from my reel (drag set to 10% only) or bend the rod. I bet the ray is tired after pulling 2 sinkers a 18 from mine and 10 from Kel. For me, the usual Mama LengJiam, Groupa, Kaci and Bludgers are good enough.

hellgeese:
    More than that dude, I and my bro continued the trip for 1 more day at the Kelong. If it isn't team slap wanna go for a shorter trip, I would wanna wack a 3D2N trip totally on board. However, I am the only roasted one, my brother only turn darker... The catch is average to consider an approximately 5-6hrs of kite flying with sinker 18.
  • uncle
    Hi Kelvin

Good report and a good catch, thank goodness none of you "catch"cold. :lol:

I was just wondering did you all fish from a boat or the kelong ?
  • James Wang
    I answer on behalf. Caught on boat. But I and my bro stay for 1 more day at kelong. We both caught a cold and now resting at home. Fish in the rain for 2 days in Rompin and 3 days at trikora.
  • Chinchalo
    Hey Guys,

Bloody hell.... my house flooded with drool already hearing the stories... Now as for the stingray... Desmond and Irvin, you asked for this mama, you get the mama. In the end, the mama thought you guys a lesson :lol:
    Well hope you guys had a great time...cheers :wink:
  • James Wang
    Damn, my stupid camera's internal compact flash card is down after it got into the rain while the camera survived. Argh!!! Now trying to recover the data in it with software. Hope can post some pix from my camera real soon.
  • James Wang
    Added some pix from my camera at
    http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/viewto ... 0828#10828
    Kel, you forget to mention about Les's batfish..haha
  • Kelvin Gerard
    zihao" said:
    Added some pix from my camera at
    http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/viewto ... 0828#10828
    Kel, you forget to mention about Les's batfish..haha

• James Wang
    Bro email me Irvin secret recipe. Caught alot more kaci and lengjiam and a ray at the kelong with it. but my forgetful bro left his plastic box in the bait container and forget to take back. let me know how much is that, i pay irvin back accordinly.
  • irvin
    Kerv, i asked or should i say, hoped for a mama on my setup lah..at least i know it can tahan. My decision to move to the other side of the boat while fighting the big mama came too late when it decided to change direction. It was probably swimming upwards as well which resulted in the line being cut by the boat. Sayang la....but lesson learnt. After fighting that fella desmond's rod actually became bent, no longer straight. Time for some serious gears Des.

As for that tusk fish Zihao, no worries..i know there was something down there when your bro's rod twitched, & when your bro asked the deckies to de-sangkot his rod, i decided to take over & try to pump it out. This happen many times during our trip to our fav playground where we r fishing in wrecks spots. Just gotta be faster than the fish when it bites. Although the terrain where we fished at in TP r mostly corals, tusk fish r dirty players, they'll just go round any nearby structure when hooked. Gotta be dirtier than them. :smt066

Anyway, for every fishing trip, we learn something new no matter how experienced we r. Alot of times it's situational. What is meant to be...will be...what is not..well...let it be. We live to fish another day. :D

Kel, nice CR..keep up the fantastic writeups.

p.s. U left out the fluorocarbon hooks....by mr gao tun...muahahahaha!
  • Old Man
    Third photo
    That guy he places the rod handle at that "Part" really dangerous.
    Hahaha joking
  • irvin
    zihao" said:
    Bro email me Irvin secret recipe. Caught alot more kaci and lengjiam and a ray at the kelong with it. but my forgetful bro left his plastic box in the bait container and forget to take back. let me know how much is that, i pay irvin back accordinly.
    Zihao, no worries. I'm glad that recipe works for u. It was actually intended for use during our boat session but i forgot about it & left it in my ice box. Should have kept it in my bag instead of my ice box...it'll probably bring in more fishes for us. As for the plastic box, forget it..i got plenty more of it at home for such forgetful incidents. :lol:

As for the recipe, i'll email u...easy to prepare with a few ingredients, but i hate the smell of it...had to bear with it while preparing. :smt119
    What's your email address?
  • James Wang
    my email address at zihao137@singnet.com.sg
    i like the smell of it. smells like the ingredient when my mum cooks the kangkong. hee.. tks a million.
  • James Wang
    Oh 1 more thing. Besides for that staying eagle, the 50kg ray is dead due to some mucus disease... updated to me by ah qing from elly kelong.
This discussion has been closed.
TRIPS
© Copyright 2016