Review of Gilham's Fishing Resort in Krabi, Thailand

skunk
skunk
edited December 2008 in General Fishing
My wife was so sweet, her wedding anniversary present for me was a trip to Gilham's Fishing Resort in Krabi, Thailand. http://www.gillhamsfishingresorts.com/

She even prepared a little handbook full of freshwater fishing info for me:

fully paid by her of course LOL

Comments

• skunk
    skunk
    the owner of the resort, Stuart, is a really nice guy...with a great sense of humour. He's really easy-going, I'll definitely visit his resort again.

His son, Sean, playing with dung balls LOL

Beautiful "dung" haha

I just love to be so corny:

My first encounter with a freshwater rod-stand and electronic fish alarm.

The pond is 9 acres and holds approximately 700 gamefish, not to mention millions of tiny baitfish. It's not easy to catch a fish in the pond, despite the large number of gamefish. The reason being the large number of baitfish, and very healthy ecosystem inside means we anglers gotta work doubly hard....but the flip-side is that every fish is strong, big and healthy...my arm, shoulders and back hurt so much for a few days LOL. My personal estimate is that the average fish in the pond is at least 15kg to 20kg. Seen huge arapaima surface all the time, but only a few anglers caught them. That makes for a more satisfying catch every single time, doesn't it? ;)

What i really love about the pond is the beautiful scenery:

Comfortable little huts to chill out while waiting for fish to bite:

The bungalows are big and comfy:

nice pool to chill out in:

Beautiful landscaped gardens at night, illuminated with strategically placed spotlights....I felt like i was in the Garden of Eden LOL
    image[/list]
  • skunk
    skunk
    the meals are relatively inexpensive and hearty. Where to find great traditional English food at such a price? Kudos to Steve, the resident chef.

The Sunday Roast. yummy.

Boozy Monster strikes again.

Mummy Monster attacks delicious desserts.
  • skunk
    skunk
    another of the desserts to die for.
  • skunk
    skunk
    fighting fish in such awesome backdrop just blows my mind away

whoah....every single fish fights with so much gutso, u would start to think every single one is an arapaima LOL

sawadee-Carp

kohkhun-Carp
  • skunk
    skunk
    This guide, Wat, is very nice and friendly. He's quite good at shooting dungballs LOL

This guide, Klong, is very very gentle with the fish, very friendly and always smiling. I like him a lot.

• skunk
    skunk
    the carp inside are HUGE. Seems like it's much easier to catch the herbivores than the carnivores....the carnivores have such an abundant supply of baitfish to eat inside, it really tests the angler's skill in bait presentation.

fwoaharrrr!!!!!

note the dark clouds...last few days of Wet Season....the weather would change abruptly to the Dry Season in a single day!

Clear blue skies.
  • skunk
    skunk
    millions of baitfish inside. Stuart told me he once netted out 500+kg of tilapia LOL

Now there're tons of Java Barb inside. Do not CnR them...they're unwanted in the pond.

• skunk
    skunk
    meow.

At Gilham's, they care for their fish...so every fish fights long and hard.

hugging my baby

HOLY CARP!!!
  • BiGB@RR@
    BiGB@RR@
    Wow..Great write up skunk!
    Looks like a fantastic place to unwind and fish!
    Mind posting details about the place, charges, and how you got there?? Rough estimate of total amount spent?
  • skunk
    skunk
    At first glance, their charges look expensive, i was also initially taken aback. But when i arrived at the resort, I realised it was really good value....it's not just a fishing pond, it's a full-fledged resort in its own right. I would recommend it to anyone. In fact i'm going back again next year, hopefully can tackle with a Mekong Cat or Arapaima next time!

Hope u guys enjoyed the pics. Cheers.
  • Ahho
    Ahho
    Wow, nice place and catch. May I ask what tackle set-up to use in this pond? Thank you :)
  • skunk
    skunk
    BiGB@RR@" said:
    Wow..Great write up skunk!
    Looks like a fantastic place to unwind and fish!
    Mind posting details about the place, charges, and how you got there?? Rough estimate of total amount spent?
    their charges all on their website...http://www.gillhamsfishingresorts.com/

I took a ferry from Phuket to Ao Nang, Krabi, where Stuart picked me up in his comfortable Toyota Fortuner.
  • skunk
    skunk
    Ahho" said:
    Wow, nice place and catch. May I ask what tackle set-up to use in this pond? Thank you :)
    Tackle all provided. They use heavy braid, huge Baitrunners and big thick rods to subdue the monsters in the pond quickly and cause them less injury.
  • Redshadow
    Redshadow
    Totally a new enviroment to relax and fish,,

no wonder la,,i tot capt skunk set sail to nowhere these days,,
  • skunk
    skunk
    Redshadow" said:
    Totally a new enviroment to relax and fish,,

with monsoon coming in, Chermin are gonna start their breeding season in Nenas channel again....keke
  • Trevor
    Trevor
    NICE ONE Captain Skunk!!! :)
  • Redshadow
    Redshadow
    skunk" said:
    [quote="Redshadow"]Totally a new enviroment to relax and fish,,

with monsoon coming in, Chermin are gonna start their breeding season in Nenas channel again....keke[/quote]

will be at ah ngan kelong 2molo,,come bac and we go kayaking again,,got my friends kayaks with me now,,kwekekkeke

Leave a Comment

© Copyright 2016