Beware of Ah Eng's(Ricky) charter from Buroh Lane

Pinnacle
edited November 2008 in Kakis looking for Kakis
This is not intended to be a flame, it is for fellow fishing kakis to be aware from the unfortunate events that happened to me and that it nevers happens to any other fishing kakis.

To the mods, if this falls under the wrong section, I do apologise and hope that you would revert it to the right section.

I booked a night trip for Friday 14th Novenmber. Having been on the boat a couple of times before, which weren't too bad. I spoke to one of the partners of the boat, Ah Eng, the boatman. The other being Tony. The trip was booked on the 4th of November. And I was told by Ah Eng to reconfirm with him on the following week, which I did on the following Tuesday. As the anglers filled the slot, the number came up to 11. Remembering on one trip when Tony me that the boat can take up to 12 people.

However out of caution, I called Ah Eng on Wednesday and Thursday to try and let him know about the number of pax. I was unable to reach him. I tried calling on the morning aftermoon and evenings of the 2 days mentioned, without avail.

I managed to get Ah Eng on 11am on Friday. When I told Ah Eng there was to be 11 people on the boat, he raised his voice over the phone at me, telling me that why I didn't tell him that there so many people. As mentioned I told him that I tried contacting him without avail. Ah Eng then said 'Mai zai mai ai liao' which translates to don't want drive anymore, in short he was cancelling the trip. I then mentioned that Tony, his partner said the boat could take up to 12 people. Ah Eng then shouted back, 'Then you ask my partner to take your trip!'. Please be advised the whole conversation was conducted in Hokkien. Anyway, I told Ah Eng that I was just calling to inform him, no need for him to get so agitated. He repeated the above line again, 'If my partner say 12 people can, then you ask him to take your trip!'. I calmly told Ah Eng that since I have been in contact with him the whole time, I thought he would have discussed with his partner about the trip. I then mentioned if he insisted that I talk to Tony, then I call him for what? The actual Hokkien words were 'Then wa kar heng ler kum lan?' Having been on his boat a couple of times, I have used those two words 'kum lan' with him often. To my understanding that's local Hookien speak. Admittedly, it would seem offensive, but having often with him before, my assumption was it was ok.

What occured next astounded me, he scolded my mother. Using the infamous KNNBCCB. Please ask your Hokkien lingual friends if you're unsure of what that acronym means. He said I used vulgarities on him, and in reply I said, 'Aren't you doing the same now? And worse, you included my mother in the quarrel'. Ah Eng then had the gall to ask me, at this age, 'eh you chup tor lok one?'. In English, he was asking me which gangster society I was from and that I am not happy, set a time and place to 'settle'. I told him, no need for all these, I was trying to do a business transaction with him, for him to run a business and ask me that question is absurd! He then hung up on me.

As this trip involved peoples who are not directly known to me, I had to give them an answer if the trip was cancelled last minute. So I called Ah Eng again, I tried to clam him down. But he simply refused to budge and hung up on me again.

A few minutes later, Tony called me. He admited that the boat took up to 12 people before, but it was because the anglers already reach Buroh Lane, so they 'closed one eye' and allowed the trip to continue. Tony mentioned that the boat is only allow to take up ot 10 pax according to it's safety licence. I told Tony, knowing this earlier would have saved alot of the insults. Tony went on to explain that he had no knowledge of this trip as he has a meeting on Friday evening. And that Ah Eng is doing this trip with another deckhand. So the final decision on the trip lies with the boatman Ah Eng. Tony promised to presuade Ah Eng and call me back.

Within minutes I was informed that Ah Eng refused to take the trip. I also tried calling but was met with very sarcastic comments. That Ah Eng, don't even need my business. I mentioned that cancelling a trip at this last minute is rather unprofessional, considering I have recommended quite a number of people to his charter on Tony's account. I rattled off about 20 names, of which he mentioned they were all his friends anyway. Anyway, these people I mentioned never knew of this charter in Buroh Lane until I mentioned to them. I even know this is Kee Xiong's previous boat, before his current fibre glass one. I even know how much he bought it for. That knowledge aside, on top of these, I had 8 anxious people who took leave on that day for the trip. He refused and hung up on me again.

All that said, I believe anglers here have had boatmen who cancelle d their trip on the last minute but the boatman took the trouble to find a replacement boat for the trip. Most kakis here are Hokkien-lingual(can speak Hokkien), in quarrels, most never bring in the other party's parents in the quarrel, unless in extreme circumstances even then rarely. Neither has anyone in this time and gae, ask someone else what gang they are from, unless you're one gangster talking to another.

Ah Eng, has done the opposite of these mentioned. I am 34, I am in the prime of my health. Those who've met Ah Eng, knows he is in his early 50s. In the event of a physical conflict, chances are on my side. But being civilsed people, was there a need for all these? We're all adults here, though not everyone is on the same level of maturity. My regular kakis whom I have mentioned this to agrees that this was not entirely my fault, though some mentioned that I shouldn't have used the words 'kum lan' which was local speak anyway. My kakis have agreed to henceforth boycott Ah Eng's boat, as this incident has shown him to be untrustworthy to cancel at such a last minute.

Hence, fellow forumer and kakis, please be advised and aware that such charters exist. Me and my kakis are not trying to force our boycott on anyone, rather to let people know what actually happened. If you're still insistent on this charter, please do contact the partner Tony instead.

To the people reading this, my name is Desmond. I have been on this charter on different occasions with Kelvin, Chris and Han before. And I believe I was on this trip: http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131219&highlight=buroh with Danny and Han.

Feel free to feedback. As mentioned, this thread is not intended to flame, rather to inform fellow fishos about such a charter.
  • Pinnacle
    Anyway to add abit more, I am thankful to Michael from SAF Yacht Club at Tanah Merah for accepting my trip that evening on such a short notice. I called Michael at 1.30pm he accepted my trip after managing to get a deckhand by 3pm. I am also thankful to Kevin Gerrard, Captain, Team SLAP, who runs the charter, The Rising Tide; for recommending Michael to me.

The attitudes of Kevin and Michael are examples of what we really want to see in the local fishing charter industry.

Kev, I owe you one bro! Thanks to you and Mike, we got a 55kg stingray. Will post the CR soon!
  • frank7
    Pinnacle" said:
    This is not intended to be a flame,
    Hi Pinnacle, I thank you for sharing your bad experience.

Let's learn from the experience and move on.

Having fished/deal with quite a no. of boatman from local(ah Eng included) and oversea, let me warn you something about boatman.

Having the need to spend most weekend and long hours out at sea, away from their family, most Boatman are usually cranky.

So you have to be careful when you deal with them, they are definitely not your neighbourhood salesgirl.
    Pinnacle" said:
    Whichever you goto, don't try Ah Eng's boat. Please check out http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133698&highlight=buroh about this charter.
    This is totally uncall for!!! You have register since 3 years ago, and today you made all your 10 posts spamming the forum about this boatman.

Those that have been here long enuf should remember those incident with the following boatman......

Ah Chong .... Ah Jiang ..... and now Ah Eng

You try to book a weekend trip with the above boatman for the next 6 month and you'l resalise how popular those threads have made them.

Cheers
  • Ian Pearl
    I've been with Ah Eng many times no problems at all!! Most if not all of he boats around Singapore are licenced for a max of 10 fishos - you should find out about the law before you decided to invite your 10 kakis along. 10 kaki's on Ah Eng's boat is actually a little crowded anyway!

Pinacle - I note you have created a new user name just to flame Ah Eng.

I have no hesitation in recommending Ah Eng and his partner Tony. I'm sorry you seem to have had a disagreement with him due to a misunderstanding of the max number of kakis to go, but life is too short to worry over such small things!

Keep the peace, enjoy fishing and enjoy life.

Remember the five simple rules to be happy:

1. Free your heart from hatred.
    2. Free your mind from worries.
    3 Live simply.
    4. Give more.
    5. Expect less

Cheers,

Ian
  • raymondang
    Pearly" said:

1. Free your heart from hatred.
    2. Free your mind from worries.
    3 Live simply.
    4. Give more.
    5. Expect less

Cheers,

Ian
    Well said Ian.
    I had been on his boat number of times & no problem at all with the boatman.
  • Pinnacle
    frank7" said:
    This is totally uncall for!!! You have register since 3 years ago, and today you made all your 10 posts spamming the forum about this boatman.
    Pearly" said:
    Pinacle - I note you have created a new user name just to flame Ah Eng.
    before it goes haywire about the number of forum posts I had, I registered in 2003. It was in 2005 that the username was inactivated due to the server move around 2005. Melvin reactivated my account, I haven't posted the past 3 years as I was more interested in fishing then posting. But this post was to highlight to fellow kakis about such a charter. Granted I've heard about Ah Chong and the other guy.
    Pearly" said:
    I have no hesitation in recommending Ah Eng and his partner Tony. I'm sorry you seem to have had a disagreement with him due to a misunderstanding of the max number of kakis to go, but life is too short to worry over such small things!
    I beg to difer, more so the manner in which he cancelled my trip at the very last minute. If he had only to tell me then that it was an issue with the safety, rather then just cancel like that. I could have checked with my kakis to see if any could back out before he shut me off. Also no one likes it when someone slams down the phone even before you could offer alternatives. Much less one offends your mother when it was a matter between ourselves.
    Yes we aren't dealing with 'neighbourhood salegirls', I seriously LOLed at that reference, neither is it someone I haven't spoken with and not just a few times at that.
    I have no quarrels with his catches, as I mentioned, they were rather good. And there were occassions when my trips were beyond his regulation pax, I've heard of kakis who have been on trips with him when an extra person turned up pushing the number to 11 and still continued with the trip. This time round, all I did was try to inform him before hand, which sadly, I only managed to get him only on the day itself. And to cancel the trip just hours before we board, is seriously too much. On top of that for him to mention that he didn't even need my business in the first place, couldn't he have cancelled earlier and give us ample time to find an alternative?

If it had been left at the misunderstanding, I could have lived with it like your 5 philosophies in life.
    1. I don't hate him, I want people to be more cautious when dealing with him
    2. I ain't worried, he runs the business, mine is still profitable
    3. It's as simple as it gets without getting into the gangster numbers
    4. Given more, but when push becomes shove, you gotta make a stand sometimes
    5. My kakis and even Tony can attest to this, even when I am a 'Zero' fighter for a trip, I am still joking and laughing. I don;t expect much, being out there on the boat's already a joy for me, the rest are bonuses :)

This happened to me, if it happened to you, I'll be glad to be your listening ear about your experiences :)
  • Ian Pearl
    Pinnacle,

Fair comments - thanks for your clarifications. I hope your next trip is a bit smoother.

For the future though, please only book a trip for 10 kaki's max. You never know if a check will be carried out by the MPA and the boatman would be the one in trouble. Too many on the boat also leads to crossed lines and cross faces!

(I LOL's at the salesgirl comment too. :D )
  • king.tay
    hi Pinnacle,

i dont know why u quoted on my posts abt this matters?

but nvm its ok :)

jus wan to share my opinion, fishing is easy.... move on if the particular boatman doesn't click. 8)

one type of rice can feed hundred types of ppl....

tight lines!!!
  • CHL
    My kaki can click with Rick & Tony.
    They have provide us very good service each time on board.

These are their standard charter price on Day & Night fishing trip even on Saturday/Sunday & Public Holiday.
    Exclude Bait/Food/Soft Drink but including
    Hot Drink (Coffee & Tea)

Note : This boat can take Max pax 10 person.

[b]Day Trip at SGD 400.00 (8.30am - 6.00pm)

[b]Night Trip at SGD 500.00 (6.30pm - 7.30am)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
  • Pinnacle
    CHL" said:
    My kaki can click with Rick & Tony.
    They have provide us very good service each time on board.

These are their standard charter price on Day & Night fishing trip even on Saturday/Sunday & Public Holiday.
    Exclude Bait/Food/Soft Drink but including
    Hot Drink (Coffee & Tea)

Note : This boat can take Max pax 10 person.

[b]Day Trip at SGD 400.00 (8.30am - 6.00pm)

[b]Night Trip at SGD 500.00 (6.30pm - 7.30am)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    FYI, they quoted me at $450. For the night trip. That's how well I know them, especially Tony. Charter bookings with Ah Eng has varied from $450 to $550 for his night trips. If you still wanna go, stick to booking the charter from Tony. Ah Eng tends to act up less when Tony is around.
    Pinnacle" said:
    Having been on the boat a couple of times before, which weren't too bad.
    If you look at my post again, I have mentioned, the catches cannot be complained about. And since you've been on his boat, it is usually Tony who goes around serving coffee and helping the people out. Maybe on his good mood days, Ah Eng will come behind and grab a coffee and share a few words.

Like I mentioned in my last post, how would you like it if someone cancels your trip, 1pm on the day of your night trip? And on top of that, insults your mother? To futher the insults, still asks you, you 'chip tor lok'?
    All in all, as a boatman, he is alright. Nothing too wonderful, the occasional good catches. But as a businessman running a charter in this small industry, he has failed badly.
  • coral trout
    You have been on this boat before so you should have known that total cap is 12 pax. Even if you don't have a deckhand, you should only bring max 11 (plus skipper is total 12). Why do you need to get a confirmation from him then? You also wrote that in some previous trip, he closed an eye when there were 11 pax. But that doesn't necessarily mean he should or must close his eyes again. Remember, if MPA or PCG stops the boat and do a headcount, they gonna go after the skipper, not the passengers.

Furthermore, i feel that that this boat can only take 6-8 pax (ex skipper/deckie)in order to be comfy for all.

10 pax, lt alone 12, is too tight.

Also, you should not write on other sections of this forum and basically try to deter others from using him.

Please remember tht there are 2 sides to a coin, and so far only one side is telling the story.
  • Uncle_Muthu
    i don think he is trying to convince pple not to use ah eng boat ... pls quote that sentence if u can find it ... don make things worst ... he is just trying to let pple know what happen ... last min cancel due to skipper shouting at u is a pain in the ass i kena that be4 lor ... i understand his point

cheers
  • ihatefishing
    He is just sharing his bad exp and not boycott the boat man.
    pls understand where he is coming from :)

cheers
  • Pinnacle
    ty Uncle_Muthu and ihatefishing for understanding what I've said. Maybe I should have gotten you guys to proof-read before posting so that everyone would understand.

Yes, all I am saying is if you still wanna go to this charter, contact via Tony.
  • frank7
    Uncle_Muthu" said:
    pls quote that sentence if u can find it ... don make things worst ...
    here

http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/viewto ... ht=#524714
    Pinnacle" said:
    Whichever you goto, don't try Ah Eng's boat. Please check out http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133698&highlight=buroh about this charter.
    i think he made a total of 10 posts at 10 different threads. Go make a search. Coincidentally this is also the only 10 posts he made in the last 3 years ( correct? ). Citing "I rather do more fishing than posting".

For almost 3 years, no posting, no sharing, suddenly wham bang - 10 post all about the same thing, this is not flaming? A person that doesn't like to share suddenly gave out 10 pieces of cake today.

Nonetheless, I still want to thanks Pinnacle for sharing his bad experience, I really appreciate this kinda spirit, for sharing info, be it bad or good. But please keep it to 1 thread, else it's hard to believe your first sentence.

Cheers
  • CHL
    Pinnacle" said:
    [quote="CHL"]
    FYI, they quoted me at $450. For the night trip. That's how well I know them, especially Tony. Charter bookings with Ah Eng has varied from $450 to $550 for his night trips. If you still wanna go, stick to booking the charter from Tony. Ah Eng tends to act up less when Tony is around.

Thank You For Your Information on the pricing.
    It Shouldn't be any big problem for me & my kaki to pay additional $5.00 each.The Price of $400 & $500 is reasonable & belive most of the kaki are paying around this price.
    Most importance is that we enjoy the trip without any "HOO HA"

[quote="Pinnacle"]
    Like I mentioned in my last post, how would you like it if someone cancels your trip, 1pm on the day of your night trip?
    [/quote][/quote]

If this incident happen on me , i will cancel the trip instead of
    calling up & down to have him to carry on the trip cause want everyone to enjoy the trip.
    Even if Tony manage to persuade him.
    What happen if Very Bad Catch who to blame ??
    There are still many charter out there,since this one cannot click move on to another charter.

Let it go !!! Enjoy your next fishing trip with good harvest
  • T-Rex
    As a regular on Ah eng's boat, I've only experience 1 time where he cancel my trip. That's becos there was a super heavy downpour and he's of the view that catch will be bad. I was already on the way to Buroh lane already.

I think TS called Ah eng on his bad hair day or maybe he tickle Ah eng the wrong way or maybe combination of both, personally I think he can be very friendly but need a lot of time to warm up. Forgive and forget lah, life's too short to let such event weight you down. This boatman 8 charcters not suitable with you? Then change to other boatman, so many of them around...
  • Melvin Lee
    when business are good they raised their voice, put on airs but when times are bad they act like tortoise. There are so many boatman out there in SG, can always try others. Their spots are fairly similar as in SG there aer alot of areas that are prohibited for anchoring or entry, these results in major fines.
  • Pinnacle
    Hence in my second post, I was and still am very thankful to Michael from SAF Yacht Club Tanah merah for taking me out on the trip that day. I managed to get him after contacting Kevin, of Rising Tide, at 1+, the trip was confirmed after 3pm, which attests to Michael's enthusiasm towards local fishos who are itching to go out to sea.
    Caught a monster stingray that night, 50kg upwards. I have yet to post the CR.
    Like most of you have said, Can't go for this one, I found anohter charter instead, which may have turned out to be a blessing in disguise. :D
    So like Uncle_Muthu said, never kena before dunno the heartache, but when you kena especially like my situation where the cancellation was rather near to the trip and not due to some unforeseen circumstances like T-Rex's, you'd probably be like me fuming, hence this posting.

BTW, Melvin, you mana nowdays? Never see you at BJT already. Nowdays there really totally different group from the 'Loko' days.
  • baitorlure
    It take 2 hands to clap to make some noise.

In the first place, why load until eleven on a fishing boat. 10 is already consider sardine can.

If in the first place you have maybe 8 kakis for a comfortable fishing trip , than there is no issue from the start.

So the root of the problem can be due to $$$. of course, if 11, the cost is lower right?

You have book a boat to fish, the boatman is not your GRO. He does not have to be nice to you but if he is, it sure make the trip more enjoyable.

The problem with Singaporean is that they expect so much from others but no prepare to give the same amount away.

There are many testimonies here about Ah Eng and they are good one. They have nothing to complain.

So, please share your experience and stop there. Let other judge your side of the story and they will decide whether to go with Ah Eng or not.

I dun go for offshore very often, but If i do, our boat wil has less than 5 person. Not that we are rich, but we just go lesser to ensure that we go in comfy style.

Pinnacle, relax, Live and let live.