• d'undertaker
    Terribly big,,,congrats :wave:

which part of bintan bro?
  • pet
    wow...big ah :wave:
  • swifter
    big GT man... :smt038
  • Uncle_Muthu
    omg ... bro jon can join u along to hunt GT ??? Itching for the fight ... so long never hit something so big
  • Kaix
    Wow!!! :shock: that is shocking huge :)
  • jon
    d'undertaker" said:
    Terribly big,,,congrats :wave:

On the North of Bintan off a shallow reef where no one else bothers to fish because all the fishermen go out to the deeper reefs.

Jon 8)
  • d'undertaker
    jon" said:
    [quote="d'undertaker"]Terribly big,,,congrats :wave:

On the North of Bintan off a shallow reef where no one else bothers to fish because all the fishermen go out to the deeper reefs.

Jon 8)[/quote]

hi bro =P~
    would u bother to bring me fish there,,,, [-o<
  • jon
    d'undertaker" said:
    [quote="jon"][quote="d'undertaker"]Terribly big,,,congrats :wave:

Jon 8)[/quote]

hi bro =P~
    would u bother to bring me fish there,,,, [-o<[/quote]

Very sorry but this is one of the few remaining secret spots on my list that still produces decent fish. Reason why we kept this fish is cause the guy who gaffed the fish hit the lateral line and injured the fish very badly.

Fish was eaten and surprisingly it wasn't though.

Jon 8) :(
  • Fade
    wow that was big.. 30kg?
  • jon
    Fade" said:
    wow that was big.. 30kg?
    Broke my scale that maxes out at 22kg. Two guys to lift the fish and put it in my hands.

Jon 8)
  • Fade
    wow thats really amazing.
  • Lawrento
    Hi Pak Jon,
    You've Inspire Me !
    Today, I,ve pack in the same Poppers 'Chug Bug' and went hunting for GTs, motivated by You.
    Equipments used; Majorcraft Offblow OB66L and Daiwa Luvias 2500. Boat use, Best Bet.
    Guess What? I've Hit it !
    1.5kgs GT at a Rock between Raffles light house and Pulau Senai.
    So Singapore also have GT popping.
    Cheers,
  • jon
    Lawrento" said:
    Hi Pak Jon,
    You've Inspire Me !
    Today, I,ve pack in the same Poppers 'Chug Bug' and went hunting for GTs, motivated by You.
    Equipments used; Majorcraft Offblow OB66L and Daiwa Luvias 2500. Boat use, Best Bet.
    Guess What? I've Hit it !
    1.5kgs GT at a Rock between Raffles light house and Pulau Senai.
    So Singapore also have GT popping.
    Cheers,
    That's the spirit Pak. Congratulations on your GT.

Look where no one else looks and you'd be surprised at what you might stumble on. The last trip that I was out, a local fisherman was near us when we landed the big GT. He was cutting bait in his small sampan and when he saw the size of the fish, he dropped his knife in the water as he was shocked that such a big fish came from his back yard that usually has only small fish. :shock:

Jon
  • bigtom
    Hi Jon, well done excellent pics, breathtaking to say the least. Definitely rod breaking n reel despooling experience if set up not up to the mark.

Btw Jon, I'm heading off to Bintan in a week's time for a RnR trip with light shore luring n offshore luring if possible in mind.

I've read from some previous thread that carrying rods via the ferry can be abit of a problem when crossing the customs. Is it imposed by Sg customs or Indon? There appears to be a max rod length of 6ft allowed. That's based on the longest single piece. If this is true could you help to confirm? Dun wan fello forumers who visit bintan to relax n surf fish or bring popping rod kena stuck by the customs.

End of the day its the kopi $ that the customs guys want i reckon.

thks n rgds
    leo
  • jon
    bigtom" said:
    Hi Jon, well done excellent pics, breathtaking to say the least. Definitely rod breaking n reel despooling experience if set up not up to the mark.

Btw Jon, I'm heading off to Bintan in a week's time for a RnR trip with light shore luring n offshore luring if possible in mind.

I've read from some previous thread that carrying rods via the ferry can be abit of a problem when crossing the customs. Is it imposed by Sg customs or Indon? There appears to be a max rod length of 6ft allowed. That's based on the longest single piece. If this is true could you help to confirm? Dun wan fello forumers who visit bintan to relax n surf fish or bring popping rod kena stuck by the customs.

End of the day its the kopi $ that the customs guys want i reckon.

thks n rgds
    leo
    There is no issue with customs on both sides to my knowledge. The only issue is that with the one piece rods, at Tanah Merah there will not allow you to hand carry your rods into the ferry. You have to check in the rods, so make sure you use a rod tube.

Sometimes when I bring in new rods and don't bother to use a rod tube, I just ask the check in guys to get the porters to be careful with my rod. The guys there know me so to date I've not had a any damaged rods.

Customs have never stopped me on either side.

Jon 8)
  • bigtom
    Thanks for the confirmation bro, that helps to ease my mind abit.

I will be bringing a tube to keep the rods. Just couple of us with our partners. Nobody's gonna stop u or mishandle ya rod mate. You're a frequent flyer. uv got a job most of us can only admire n dream of.

cheers, TL.
  • king.tay
    very gd size!

too bad cant CNR it...
  • Boon64
    Nice good size... ;) ;)
  • jon
    Yes, I agree that it's a shame the fish couldn't be released. Much better eating fish around. Only consolation that nothing went to waste.

If you notice the scale behind me, the marker is at the maximum. We weighed the fish again after the pic and the handle broke while the bottom hook opened up. Will try and remember to take a pic of the scale tomorrow if the guys have not fixed it.

Jon. 8)

• ahboi
    Upz .. nice catch....
  • andylau
    Hi Jon,

Have seen a few of ur CR here, all GTs.. somemore good sizes.. Bravo man.. Well juz check with u are there any other fishes which u had landed in Bintan other than those GTs??

Rgds
  • augustineteng
    CONGRATS.LONG TIME NO SEE GT FROM TP.

PLEASE KEEP SPOT CLASSIFIED.

SPRATLY USED TO TO BE GOOD BUT TOO MANY CATCH AND NO RELEASE DEPLETED STOCK.

TRUST YOU HAVE A GOOD RECIPE TO COOK THIS VERY TOUGH FISH.

GUS
  • jon
    augustineteng" said:
    CONGRATS.LONG TIME NO SEE GT FROM TP.

PLEASE KEEP SPOT CLASSIFIED.

SPRATLY USED TO TO BE GOOD BUT TOO MANY CATCH AND NO RELEASE DEPLETED STOCK.

TRUST YOU HAVE A GOOD RECIPE TO COOK THIS VERY TOUGH FISH.

GUS
    Hi Gus,

Fish wasn't tough. Same as a small GT. I wonder why!

Jon 8)
  • jon
    andylau" said:
    Hi Jon,

Have seen a few of ur CR here, all GTs.. somemore good sizes.. Bravo man.. Well juz check with u are there any other fishes which u had landed in Bintan other than those GTs??

Rgds
    Hi Andy,

I posted some pics of Chermin, Queenfish, Todak and various Jacks etc..

I don't do any bottom fishing, only casting lures,popping, jigging and trolling. As the water around here is relatively shallow I don't jig much for bottom fish. I got some new jigs that apparently are very potent from Daiwa and Shimano and will give them a try. I have friends in Spore who swear by them. The joke is that after you overcome the pain of loosing a jig that cost's almost $30 you'll be immune to it and won't mind spending money on more of those jigs. Let see if they work here in shallow water.

I tend to like using surface poppers as you get the see the strike and also there is less chance of snagging up on the reef like when using the deep divers. That is why most of my posts are of pelagics and not bottom feeders.

I spearfish a lot more then fish so I get my fair share of Mangrove Jacks, Tuskfish, Grouper and all the other good eating bottom eating fish, but don't post pics of the fish I shoot as this is not a spearfishing forum and some of the forum members here are not supportive to the idea of spearfishing. I assure you it is more difficult to shoot good eating fish in an area that is heavily fished then most people think. Mind you I spearfish free diving and not with a tank, unless it's really deep and I want a few fish for dinner.

Jon 8)
  • Lawrento
    Pak Jon,
    I've got a P L A N ...
    Joint Naval Exercise, code name 'GT Persatu' with RSS Best Bet and Your Yellow Baby ...
    How's that ?
    You name the date ? I'll be ready with Poppers!
    Cheers,
  • Spunden
    Alamerk Jon..
    Admire you and the fish lah..

Congrats bro..
  • Xenokel
    good catch or yr BIG GT bro..
  • d'undertaker
    jon" said:
    [quote="d'undertaker"][quote="jon
    Very sorry but this is one of the few remaining secret spots on my list that still produces decent fish. Reason why we kept this fish is cause the guy who gaffed the fish hit the lateral line and injured the fish very badly.

Fish was eaten and surprisingly it wasn't though.

Jon 8) :(
    [/quote]

pak jon secret spots fishing condition
    angler must be blind or cataract "surfers",,ehhhhh,,,sufferer :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
  • andylau
    jon" said:
    [quote="andylau"]Hi Jon,

Rgds
    Hi Andy,

I posted some pics of Chermin, Queenfish, Todak and various Jacks etc..

I don't do any bottom fishing, only casting lures,popping, jigging and trolling. As the water around here is relatively shallow I don't jig much for bottom fish. I got some new jigs that apparently are very potent from Daiwa and Shimano and will give them a try. I have friends in Spore who swear by them. The joke is that after you overcome the pain of loosing a jig that cost's almost $30 you'll be immune to it and won't mind spending money on more of those jigs. Let see if they work here in shallow water.

I tend to like using surface poppers as you get the see the strike and also there is less chance of snagging up on the reef like when using the deep divers. That is why most of my posts are of pelagics and not bottom feeders.

I spearfish a lot more then fish so I get my fair share of Mangrove Jacks, Tuskfish, Grouper and all the other good eating bottom eating fish, but don't post pics of the fish I shoot as this is not a spearfishing forum and some of the forum members here are not supportive to the idea of spearfishing. I assure you it is more difficult to shoot good eating fish in an area that is heavily fished then most people think. Mind you I spearfish free diving and not with a tank, unless it's really deep and I want a few fish for dinner.

Jon 8)[/quote]

OIC, haha maybe I still new in this forum.. well your CR is very entertaining.. hope to learn from u on this trade one of this days...

So wen u going to land a super monster GT? haha...
  • jon
    Thank you all for the positive replies. I am no guru, and am probably just as new as a lot of the guys on the forum.

There are a lot of hardcore fishermen in Spore whom I know that keep a very low profile. These are the real guru's that I try and learn from.

I am fortunate to be able to fish everyday if I so choose and I suppose that time, spent on the water actually fishing tends to make you learn more then just reading up or listening to others. Best is to fish with the experience guys and not be shy to ask and learn.

Landing big fish is generally a matter of having good gear and a lot of luck. Some you win and others you loose. I suppose that's what keeps us coming back for more.

Lately I have been enjoying myself catching squid with my crew in the evenings from kayaks if not spearfishing. It is a lot of fun when we have a friendly competition to see who can catch the most in a given time. I have forgotten the thrill of squidding.

What I'm trying to say is that we sometimes forget the simple things in life and get carried away trying to over achieve.

While I'm out on the kayak paddling by myself, I get to enjoy the sounds of the water gently splashing against my kayak, the sun setting and just have a relaxing time. Doesn't really matter if I get any squid. Any I catch is just a added bonus.

Maybe when I need a adrenaline rush the next thing I should do is target the GT's on my kayak. Hook up a big guy and get a free tow.javascript:emoticon(':p')

Seriously there are days here when I come back empty handed as well, but that's fishing.

Jon
    8)
© Copyright 2016