CR: DesT's Noodle Rod in ACTION at St John's Island(Video)

Anonymous
edited May 2005 in Catch Reports
DesT's famous G-Loomis Noodle Rod in action!!!

I really got nothing to say about this rod from G-loomis. It's a damn bloody enjoyable ultra-light fishing rod. Even a blow of the wind will bend the rod, not to mention a garfish of that size.

There, I told you that Desmond is fishing without hooks. I took a picture of his bait and you see for yourself whats inside the prawn. He uses a stretch of 20lbs monofilament line to attach to the prawn vs the toothpick!! Absolutely no hooks at all!!!

This one was considered as slightly a bit bigger and fatter than the average size. Total missed hookup is more than 15x times for Desmond and he landed around 6-7pcs of average size.

See that the average size garfish can only put a bend on his rod to this extent only.

While a giant can do this to the miserable rod.

Ah laos were catching fish d whole day long. All bigger than palm-sized rabbit fish and yellow tail. This one on battle is a grouper.

I caught quite a few average sized but no sight of giants.

• Anonymous
    And yes, queenfish nearly gotten my bait but it just came up and have a look.

I'm planning an overnight trip to St John Island 2 weeks later. So far so good, Desmond is with me for the idea and BBQ session.

We believed that there must be biggies awaiting to be caught by anglers at night because there isn't any lights on the bridge at all. Both of us thinks that big fish will come near the bridge at night.

If anyone of you is interested in joining us for the fun. Please list down your name here.

Tentatively, it will be on a Saturday afternoon to Sunday evening. Then Monday is a holiday for you to R&R at home to prepare yourself for work on tuesday.
  • triptyce
    Hi edmun, i have send you a email to ya fishingkaki mail, can you reply it? many thanks....and nice catches =)
  • Anonymous
    triptyce(kevyn) from forum here, got some questions i would like to clarify
    with ya on the todaks.
    1- what sizes hooks you guys use?
    2- what rig ya guys use for the todak? (for with float) (and without float)
    3- around where should we fish?
    4- i may be available to fish with u guys this weekend, can i tag along?
    give me some details on where to meet and what time you leaving.
    5- and finally can i do luring there? with my light tackle.

Hi Kevyn

I just saw your email. Please pardon me for the late reply. I would like to reply here so that the rest of the forummers can stand to gain from it.

I'm using size 2 J-hooks. No particular rigs, just tie a 20lbs monofilament line direct to the hook. Make a loop at the other end of the 20lbs leader. Then attach a snap on your mainline. Very simple. Let drift with the current.

You can fish anywhere from the bridge. Its equally productive but please practice Catch and Release. Thanks

YOu can try luring there as I spotted lotsa big fish lurking around the island. But, please bring deep divers only.

I will let you know about the details for our next fishing trip. Keep a lookout in the forum then. This coming Saturday and Sunday, I'm going
    there again.

• triptyce
    its ok for the late reply, beats no reply =) thanks for the info, just what i needed to know, ok let us know if you guys go down again! cheers!
  • Michael Lim
    Edmund,

please do not forget that Sentosa corp would require you to apply for a permit to stay there overnight. They are in charge of St John Island as well.

Sentosa : Southern Islands info

Cheers,
  • uncle
    I have always love to see Dest-T with his noodle in actions. Great fishing and great shots as well.

Hey, Dest your float is still with me and not claimed. :lol:

cheers
  • Allen
    Hi Edmund,
    DesT rig - the Tooth pick act as hook ?
  • Melvin Lee
    Allen" said:
    Hi Edmund,
    He followed the Jiang Tai Gong pattern.. "If the fish is yours no hook oso can land fish" Haha :lol:
  • pusit
    Hi,

anything we need to note about the tide before going there? Catch the rising or receding tide? I guess the preferred bait is prawn meat? Wonder if Live Prawn is a good idea? Or can lure from the Wall? Is there any Toilets nearby(sorry this is for my wifey)? Thanks in advance for any response to my queries.

Regards,
    Pusit
  • tadpole
    may i know how much is tat noodle rod??....and i would like to know where to purchase it....thx alot...hope i can join ya nxt trip...
  • Anonymous
    Michael Lim" said:
    Edmund,

please do not forget that Sentosa corp would require you to apply for a permit to stay there overnight. They are in charge of St John Island as well.

Sentosa : Southern Islands info

Cheers,
    Thanks for your advice. I'm aware of that. Will be consulting Sentosa Front Office for more information.
  • Anonymous
    Allen" said:
    Hi Edmund,
    The toothpick is there to secure the bait for casting only. He doesn't use any hooks but just toothpick and 20lbs monofilament line only.
  • Anonymous
    pusit" said:
    Hi,

anything we need to note about the tide before going there? Catch the rising or receding tide? I guess the preferred bait is prawn meat? Wonder if Live Prawn is a good idea? Or can lure from the Wall? Is there any Toilets nearby(sorry this is for my wifey)? Thanks in advance for any response to my queries.

Regards,
    Pusit
    Dear Pusit

Dead prawns is equally as effective as live prawns if you are targetting garfish only. The best bait for fishing other species is still prawn meat, small shrimps and tambam caught from the bridge itself.

High hide or low tide doesn't matter as long as the water is moving.

There is a toilet and shower room near the bridge. However, you need to accompany your wife if she needs to use it. The place is very eerie and quiet. For safety reasons, it is better to go with another person.

For your case, you need to get another person to go fishing with you and your wife. So that, someone can look after your stuff while you are away.
  • Anonymous
    tadpole" said:
    may i know how much is tat noodle rod??....and i would like to know where to purchase it....thx alot...hope i can join ya nxt trip...
    The G-loomis Noodle Rod should cost around 300 odds at Hock Heng Sports.
  • Trevor
    Hey Edmund,

Do u think u could like draw up a simple diagram or be more specific abt the rig? Im still quite un-sure and cant seem to visualize. Pardon me. But yr help is always appreaciated buddy :)

Rgds
  • Anonymous
    Trevor" said:
    Hey Edmund,

Do u think u could like draw up a simple diagram or be more specific abt the rig? Im still quite un-sure and cant seem to visualize. Pardon me. But yr help is always appreaciated buddy :)

Rgds
    Lazy lar...

Your mainline tie to a 20lbs mono line then hor you tie the 20lbs mono line to your hook. Then hor.......... 8)
  • Trevor
    But then hor.. U tell me no hook used hor!? U bluff me hor!?

U egg-splain to Michael Lim then he Draw lah.. He love to draw for me de.. Hehehehe Michael hor?

:P
  • Anonymous
    Trevor" said:
    But then hor.. U tell me no hook used hor!? U bluff me hor!?

U egg-splain to Michael Lim then he Draw lah.. He love to draw for me de.. Hehehehe Michael hor?

:P
    So, you wants to know how that man catches fish without hooks. How he tie the line without hook and yet can catch fish.

I think its better to let the man himself to explain to you as he knows what he is doing. Whereas, I'm not very sure...

I used the method which I told u for my own fishing only
  • Fatman2
    How do you catch a cow? or horse? You use a lasso. To catch a poor man's marlin, you can also use a lasso. The lasso when tighten around the bony jaws of the garfish, it will tighten and voila, hookless fishing method. :wink:

--Fatman2
  • humphrey1983
    hey brothers...can show how to snare the todak? want to try out the technique. not throw a bunch of beehoon line into the water with the prawn in the centre ba...or is it:----main----leader----toothpick w/ prawn enuff liao meh? or must have a loop somewhere?thanks
    Regards
    Humphrey
  • Anonymous
    Fatman2" said:
    How do you catch a cow? or horse? You use a lasso. To catch a poor man's marlin, you can also use a lasso. The lasso when tighten around the bony jaws of the garfish, it will tighten and voila, hookless fishing method. :wink:

--Fatman2
    Precisely.... \:D/
  • triptyce
    some things are simpler than you imagine :wink: just main-leader-hook =)
  • pusit
    Hi Edmund,

thanks for the info. Will try to plan for a trip there soon... :wink:

Regards,
    Pusit
  • xiaoing u fish
    DesT.....hey how are you??finally see you in action.......Remember me.....Benny here......met you at Kallang with Steven???

Wana bring me to St John.....i see you like tat i cannot tahan liao man
  • Des T
    Hi guys, good that some of you want to try out my lasso rig. No prob.
    The fish will not be injured when released.

Next week is my final exam paper, so I have been hitting the books hard.
    But like an addict, I can't stay away from this forum for long.
    Withdrawal symptoms are too unbearably painful: cold sweat, hands shaking, can't concentrate on studies.
    Must.... get...back...to....Fishingkaki......need..... Fishingkaki....

It is not possible to describe the lasso rig in words. You need to see the actual thing personally.
    So here's a quick rundown on the principle of it instead.

The lasso rig can handle only pelegics that have protruding jaws, like billfish, barracuda, tenggiri, todak.

Imagine a baitfish drifting in the sea. When a pelegic takes it, it will mouth the bait first, then decides whether to eat it.

Now imagine an invisible lasso attached along the length of that baitfish. When a pelegic attacks it, either its upper jaw or its lower jaw will be inside the lasso. The fisho pulls hard to close the lasso and voila !!! A fish is caught.

In my Version 1, a long baiting needle was used to thread a mono line thru the entire length of the baitfish, then tie a slip knot.
    Very labour-intensive and the baitfish was easily damaged.

In Version 2, a long hypodermic needle superseded the baiting needle. It was used to pierce thru the baitfish, and then the mono line easily pushed thru the hollow of the needle.

In Version 3, a toothpick was inserted along the backbone of the baitfish to keep it stiff and straight, more natural-looking. Otherwise the baitfish looked like a curl-up floppy dead fish, causing the lasso loop to collapse.
    This new presentation ensured the lasso loop remained fully opened.
    But it was still very laborous to tie a lasso to each and every bait.

In Version 4, a pre-tied lasso was introduced.
    Welcome to the modern world of pre-fab.
    The hypodermic needle was superseded by this version.
    A deep cut was made along the fleshy upper body of the bait, and the lasso loop buried inside. Two sewing pins were used to close the cut.

In Version 5, the slip knot was improved. It is now possible to adjust the exact amount of tension required to close the lasso.

Version 6 introduced two tiny sewing pins threaded to the lasso loop.
    Simply stick one pin at the fish head and the other to the tail end.
    The loop look like a triangle, with the baitfish at the base of it.
    No more baiting needles, no more hypodermic needles, no slash and sew.

Anyway, after my exams, I'll be trying out Version 11, which will address the problem on how to fish in swift flowing current and yet keep the lasso loop fully open.
    Think about it, folks.

Now, back to my books. :(

Des T
  • goldfish
    i was wondering doesnt this method waste quite a bit of bait as compared to the normal hook method? Thanks for sharing.
    btw the fish with the tooth looks very impressive :P
  • Anonymous
    Hey Pal

Remember that you got until Friday 12 midnight to give me an answer. Cause after that I will be sleeping for next morning's happening fishing at St John.

Because of the action there, I bought some new toys which I will be trying out.

I really hoped that we can share the joy of catching fish together again.
    Des T" said:
    Hi guys, good that some of you want to try out my lasso rig. No prob.
    The fish will not be injured when released.

Next week is my final exam paper, so I have been hitting the books hard.
    But like an addict, I can't stay away from this forum for long.
    Withdrawal symptoms are too unbearably painful: cold sweat, hands shaking, can't concentrate on studies.
    Must.... get...back...to....Fishingkaki......need..... Fishingkaki....

It is not possible to describe the lasso rig in words. You need to see the actual thing personally.
    So here's a quick rundown on the principle of it instead.

The lasso rig can handle only pelegics that have protruding jaws, like billfish, barracuda, tenggiri, todak.

Imagine a baitfish drifting in the sea. When a pelegic takes it, it will mouth the bait first, then decides whether to eat it.

Now imagine an invisible lasso attached along the length of that baitfish. When a pelegic attacks it, either its upper jaw or its lower jaw will be inside the lasso. The fisho pulls hard to close the lasso and voila !!! A fish is caught.

In my Version 1, a long baiting needle was used to thread a mono line thru the entire length of the baitfish, then tie a slip knot.
    Very labour-intensive and the baitfish was easily damaged.

In Version 2, a long hypodermic needle superseded the baiting needle. It was used to pierce thru the baitfish, and then the mono line easily pushed thru the hollow of the needle.

In Version 3, a toothpick was inserted along the backbone of the baitfish to keep it stiff and straight, more natural-looking. Otherwise the baitfish looked like a curl-up floppy dead fish, causing the lasso loop to collapse.
    This new presentation ensured the lasso loop remained fully opened.
    But it was still very laborous to tie a lasso to each and every bait.

In Version 4, a pre-tied lasso was introduced.
    Welcome to the modern world of pre-fab.
    The hypodermic needle was superseded by this version.
    A deep cut was made along the fleshy upper body of the bait, and the lasso loop buried inside. Two sewing pins were used to close the cut.

In Version 5, the slip knot was improved. It is now possible to adjust the exact amount of tension required to close the lasso.

Version 6 introduced two tiny sewing pins threaded to the lasso loop.
    Simply stick one pin at the fish head and the other to the tail end.
    The loop look like a triangle, with the baitfish at the base of it.
    No more baiting needles, no more hypodermic needles, no slash and sew.

Anyway, after my exams, I'll be trying out Version 11, which will address the problem on how to fish in swift flowing current and yet keep the lasso loop fully open.
    Think about it, folks.

Now, back to my books. :(

Des T
  • Jacktrevally
    Hi,

The "lasso rig" like you call it has been used in French polynesia to catch sharks. They use a rope and handline the shark in about 4ft of water.

As mentioned it will work for fish that have a protruding jaws.

It's just fun fishing without a hook.

No gut hooking when using the lasso method. ;)

For swift current I like a freelined bait which will float by itself and have your rod well inclined so that it is nearly parallel to the water, watch your tip, as it nods fish is taking the bait, just strike....

JT.
  • roland
    Garfish, you can find it everywhere in Singapore. Kranji breakwaters has lots of them and even bigger. We are landing them on pole rod so...

No big deal.
  • Anonymous
    roland" said:
    Garfish, you can find it everywhere in Singapore. Kranji breakwaters has lots of them and even bigger. We are landing them on pole rod so...

No big deal.
    Hmm, no big deal indeed. Would you like to show us some of your pictures? It would be better still if it comes with a Catch Report. \:D/
This discussion has been closed.
TRIPS
© Copyright 2016