Trout Fishing In The Sierra Nevada Mountains Of California

Chinook
edited May 2005 in Catch Reports
Since some of the FK's be over in northern California for work/vacation (like Barraa) in the coming months - I've put together a short photo
collection of trout fishing within a 40-mile area of the greater Lake Tahoe area. Some of the photos were posted earlier in FKF which
unfortunately were lost along with the demise of the former ISP. We will work up way from the Sierra foothills upwards an I hope you will
find this informative and interesting to your liking.

• Chinook
    The foothill lakes at the lower elevations are generally quite productive during the winter months and into late Spring. Some of my
    favorites include French Meadows, Pardee, New Melone, Sugar Pine, Jackson Meadows, Englebright and Stumpy Meadows lakes.
    It is so refreshing to spend a weekend trout-fishing fishing at these scenery-laden areas.

• Chinook
    When the trout is on the bite, one can catch a day's limit of 5 trout within and hour or two. I like fishing for the big holdover trout in the deep holes of the lake. A sliding-rig set up using light spinning tackle (4-lb test line and size-8 Eagle Claw egg hook) and Berkeley Power Bait is the favored choice of most fishermen.

• Chinook
    As you drive up the Sierra foothills, you will pass throuh some very tiny towns on way to your chosen fishing hole of the day. Some are 1-street towns and often, there is a live-bait shop opened by 6AM. Some have cafes and the breakfasts served are often very good!

• Chinook
    There are a lot of lakes dotted throughout the Sierra foothills in northern California. Some man-made, others a work of
    Mother Nature. Deciding on which lake to fish each weekend often leads to debates amongst friends as to which is the
    "hottest" lake that particular week. All will produce trout provided you learn how to "read" the lake for the probable productive spots.

• Chinook
    The nice thing about fishing in the Sierra foothills is that one can make slight detours to visit the area sights and parks.
    There is a State Park where they have a preserved Miwok Indian camp. The Miwok tribe territorial range encompasses
    much of the Sierra foothills in that area. Their meeting lodge is something to behold and their tepees differ from the plains
    Indians in that they utilise large slabs of redwood tree bark to construct the outer walls of their tepees.
    The museum in the state park contains thousands of Miwok artifacts.

• Chinook
    Many of the lower elevation lakes are accessible to physically-handicapped fishermen. Others require a short hike from
    the parking lot. We usually spend a day or a weekend by the lake fishing or just plain relaxing. There are usually Forest Service
    campgrounds available either by the lake or within close vicinity.

• Chinook
    The Sierra foothills is also known as California Mother Lode country. Gold was first discovered in Coloma and this triggerred the Gold
    Rush Days of California during the 1800's. You can try your luck in panning for gold in the foothill streams and rivers for placer gold.
    A beautiful rustic area to roam in the springtime and historic gold mining towns abound.

• Chinook
    Trout season in the Sierra Nevada streams and rivers commence in late May to September. Light spinning tackle is predominantly
    utilised. Most fishermen will bait fish with salmon eggs, garden hackle or Power Bait for rainbow trout in the rivers. Both the
    Little Truckee and Truckee rivers are popular haunts of fishermen. It contains both rainbow and brown trout. You can see the
    Truckee River flowing alongside Interstate 80 on the way to Lake Tahoe and Reno, Nevada.

• Chinook
    The Truckee River is very popular with fly fishermen because stretches of that river is reserved for flyfishing coupled with a
    catch-and-release policy. Big brown trout are known to inhabit that river. On the weekend, one can see flyfishermen failing away
    with their rods after their elusive prey. To effectively fish the Truckee river, one has to be prepared to wade in the river.

• Chinook
    Interstate 80 also staddles beside Donner Lake and Donner Lake State Park. This is a huge lake named after the Donner party
    (immigrant wagon train on its way to California in the late 1800's) who were trapped at Donner Pass (over 8,000-foot level)
    by an early winter blizzard. More than half the party died and a number of party resorted to cannibalism in order to survive the long
    winter months before being rescued. A large monument in the state park commemerates that sad event in history. Great trout fishing
    from the shore in the park.

• Chinook
    It's a short drive off interstate freeway to Lake Tahoe itself. Half the lake lies within California while the other half lies within
    Nevada. The views are spectacular and in addition to rainbow, brook and brown trout - there is also the added bonus of Mackinaw
    or Lake Trout. Mackinaw fishing is best during the winter months when these huge trout can be caught in shallower waters.
    For those who remember the old TV series "Bonanza", the show was based on and filmed on the real-life Ponderosa ranch.
    The Ponderosa Ranch is still a big tourist attraction and the Cartwrights' house remain the same today as it did in the early 1960's.

• Chinook
    There are quite a large number of high-country lakes and creeks within an hour's drive from Lake Tahoe itself. Most of the time, you
    hardly see more than a few souls fishing the same lake/creek as you are. Boca, Prosser and Stampede lakes are about a 20-minute
    drive from the rustic, laid-back small sierra town of Truckee. The fishing is fantastic and it's always such a perfect way to spend
    a morning or afternoon fishing one of these productive lakes.

• mindthesh@rk
    Hi chinook

Great pics!

You are making me longing to go back to USA again...

(I sent u a PM in the other forum, I think you have missed it)

Keep the photos coming!

:)
  • Chinook
    When I go fishing in the high sierra lakes, I always carry a small pair of binoculars to check out potential productive spots in a lake.
    Having decided on the general location of my "potential hot-spot", I will either hike to it or kayak across to it. A good pair of running
    shoes and all my extra fishing crap (that includes my Sony Mavica camera) and snacks/water stashed in my West German Bundeswehr
    surplus day-pack - I'm all set to go match wits with the local Sierra trout.

• Chinook
    In California, you have the option to purchase the 2-rod stamp (costs about $10) in addition to your fishing license in order to legally
    fish only LAKES utilising 2 rods. I use a sliding-rig attached to a 1-oz sinker. Bait it up with whatever comes to mind and wing it out
    there into the crystal-clear waters like a man possessed. Attach my crude but very portable home-made "fish alarm", sit back and
    wait for the fish to come to Papa.

• Chinook
    In heavy snowfall years, you will encounter the remnants of snowdrifts in the high sierras. Also, eatly June is a great time to hunt
    for the elusive snow flowers. These bright deep red stalks of flowers push their way up from among the pine needles on the forest floor in the
    woods. No leaves, just pure flowers shaped like little bells on a thick 6-inch stalk. Walk into the woods and piles of melting snowdrifts
    can be found...make a slushy sno-cone with Ribena!

• Chinook
    mindthesh@rk" said:Hi chinook
    Great pics!
    You are making me longing to go back to USA again...
    (I sent u a PM in the other forum, I think you have missed it)
    Keep the photos coming! :)

Hi Shark,
    Thank you. I enjoy posting and sharing the photos as much as you enjoy viewing it. Sorry I missed your PM(?) - whatever that is. Trout season opens later this month in the Sierras and June is always a great month for trout fishing in the mountains.
    Regards
  • mindthesh@rk
    Hi Chinook,

Did you register in the Fly Fishing Singapore Forum with your exisiting nickname? I saw a 'chinook' there too. I thought it is you and since I dont have your email address, I sent you a Private Message (PM) using the that forum's provided facility.

Nothing much, just to say hi. :)
  • barraa
    Breathtaking scenery i must say, makes mi wanna check out those places when i'm over, especially the Miwok indian camp. Hope u'd might be free one of those days, whereby i'd be priviledged to have ur company ard those places. 8) Definitely there's more than fishing in Sacromento, wanna go explore these beautiful places.

Cheers
  • dtyr
    hey, dude nice cr & scenery shots u've got there!!
    hope to c more from u wor... :lol:

BR
  • banhock
    Hi Chinook,

Nice pics. Really miss California. Used to work there 91-93. The flowers really reminded me of Spring. Looks like your a pro at trout fishing.
    Keep the pics coming.

Ban
  • Chinook
    [i]mindthesh@rk" said:Hi Chinook,
    Did you register in the Fly Fishing Singapore Forum with your exisiting nickname? I saw a 'chinook' there too. I thought it is you and since I dont have your email address, I sent you a Private Message (PM) using the that forum's provided facility.
    [/i]

Hi Shark,
    Yes, that is same me registered in the Fly Fishing Singapore Forum too. I surf there once a while to view the postings and catch reports. I have not utilised the "PM" feature before. Is that the same as email?
    Regads.
  • Chinook
    dtyr" said:hey, dude nice cr & scenery shots u've got there!!
    hope to c more from u wor... :lol:
    BR

Hi dytr,
    Thank you. I'm glad you've enjoyed viewing the photographs as much
    as I did taking them.
    Regards.
  • Chinook
    banhock" said:Hi Chinook,
    Nice pics. Really miss California. Used to work there 91-93. The flowers really reminded me of Spring. Looks like your a pro at trout fishing.
    Keep the pics coming. Ban

Hi BanHock,
    Thank you. I'm no pro at trout-fishing but manage to do OK.
    Did you do any fishing while you were living over here?
    Regards.
  • Chinook
    One of the most beautiful high-sierra lakes sits at the 7500-foot level. It's very productive, easy to get to with a wide range of
    accomodations available from camping, family cabins to 4-star accomodations. Caples Lake up the road (8000-foot level)
    is another fantastic fishing hole. The scenery is just breath-taking as you can see from the photographs.

• mindthesh@rk
    Chinook" said:
    [i][quote="mindthesh@rk"]Hi Chinook,
    [/i]

Hi Shark,
    Yes, that is same me registered in the Fly Fishing Singapore Forum too. I surf there once a while to view the postings and catch reports. I have not utilised the "PM" feature before. Is that the same as email?
    Regads.[/quote]

That's great! It is you!

Ok, you look around on the top of the screen. It has something like this, "Hey, Chinook, you have 1 message, 1 are new." Sometimes, depends on your screen, it could be on the right top corner of your screen. Click on the "1 message" and u will go into your folder for messages. You can look around at the bottom, on the right, got something like that too.

:)
  • Chinook
    Michael,
    Is there an email address for you apart from contacting you vis a posting?
    Regards.
  • Michael Lim
    Chinook" said:
    Michael,
    Is there an email address for you apart from contacting you vis a posting?
    Regards.
    Yeah, you can contact me via michaellim@fishingkaki.com

Cheers,
  • Chinook
    Most of the popular sierra lakes have posted information signs about the lake itself and also about the fishing in it and other lakes in
    the vicinity. I recommend that one do one's fishing homework prior to wandering up into the sierras to fish. It will save you time
    and allows for more productive fishing. Take time to fish, wander, explore and enjoy the gorgeous sierra outdoors. It's a mind-blowing
    experience. You will see sights that you normally do not when you whiz on by in a car. You will have to experience it to believe it.

• Chinook
    barraa" said:Breathtaking scenery i must say, makes mi wanna check out those places when i'm over, especially the Miwok indian camp. Hope u'd might be free one of those days, whereby i'd be priviledged to have ur company ard those places. 8) Definitely there's more than fishing in Sacromento, wanna go explore these beautiful places. Cheers

Hi Barraa,
    That state park is in the general area of where we would go trout fishing in the North Fork of the Yuba River. Great
    river - native rainbows and browns in addition to the planted hatchery trout. I think I will try there on the trout season
    opening weekend. There's a big brown in an area that has been tormenting me for the past 2 years.
    Regards.
© Copyright 2016