Mini CR- Changi waters

rummynose2003
edited May 2005 in Catch Reports
hi all, went boat fishin on the past long weekends. First time saw this kind of fish caught in singapore for me, wonder wat it is. Its quite a good fighter i can say. enjoy the pics. mind tellin me wat kind of fish it is...

• rummynose2003
    and these are the rest of the catches, abit only. sea quite choppy....

• rummynose2003
    and some of the remaining pics for the trip....and some CnR pics...
    real lucky for the ACK.... 8)

• rummynose2003
    last of all, the dunno wat fish... hmmm... not bad ah this fish....hope to catch it again.... dun think its good for eating too, so might as well let it off...
  • fosey
    looks like an ultra boney fish....it kinda resembles a milkfish
  • lure_fishin
    it shld b a herring...good fighter rite?
  • frank7
    giant herring

tek ngor
  • Melvin Lee
    From the colour and shape, Its a wolf herring.
  • Breezer
    Ladyfish. :wink:
  • Jeremy Koh
    Good Day

Correct me if i am wrong but i too believe its a giant herring aka ladyfish.

Cheers
  • Robsen Chang
    Ladyfish...
  • Anonymous
    This is a typical Round Herring, see description extracts from Fishbase:

Links:http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?genusname=Spratelloides&speciesname=gracilis

Spratelloides gracilis
    Silver-stripe round herring
    You can sponsor
    this page

Spratelloides gracilis (Temminck & Schlegel, 1846)
    Family: Clupeidae (Herrings, shads, sardines, menhadens) picture (Spgra_u2.gif) by FAO

Map
    Order: Clupeiformes (herrings)
    Class: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes)
    FishBase name: Silver-stripe round herring
    Max. size: 9.5 cm SL (male/unsexed; Ref. 188)
    Environment: pelagic; marine ; depth range - 10 m
    Climate: tropical; 38°N - 28°S
    Importance: fisheries: minor commercial; bait: usually
    Resilience: High, minimum population doubling time less than 15 months (K=0.41-0.44; tm<1)
    Distribution:
    Gazetteer Indo-Pacific: Red Sea south to Zanzibar and east to the western Pacific (Japan south through the Philippines to southeastern and western Australia, east to Samoa (excluding the Cook, Society and Marquesas islands) and the Tuamoto Islands. Occurs in Palau and the Marshall Islands (Ref. 37816).
    Morphology: Dorsal spines (total): 0; Dorsal soft rays (total): 12-13; Anal spines: 0; Anal soft rays: 12-13. Maxilla toothed, triangular pre-maxillae, 2 supra-maxillae, second supra-maxilla asymmetrical (lower part larger than upper part), vertical striae on scales not meeting at center; W-shaped pelvic scute; few branchiostegal rays (6 or 7).
    Biology: Usually an inshore schooling species, inhabiting relatively clear waters of coastal, lagoon, and seaward reefs (Ref. 11230). Relative fecundity is 1596 eggs per unit body weight (Ref. 4383). Caught with beach seines, purse seines, ringnets and dipnets. Marketed fresh or dried-salted (Ref. 5213). Used as bait in the tuna fishery.
    Red List Status: Not in IUCN Red List (NL) (Ref. 53964)
    Dangerous: harmless
  • rummynose2003
    didnt know herrings of such size existed in singapore waters....anyway, it gave my chartered special 2000 quite a good fight i can say. its a bottom feeder. when u strike it, it comes up so fast towards the surface of the water that u cant even feel ur weights when u reel in ur lines. next thing u can see a fish jumping abt the surface of the waters...!!

memorable experience....hahaha!

anyway, dun think this fish is good for eating.... hope to get more of it in singapore...always support CnR.... :D
  • dtyr
    nice catch...
  • Tenggeri K
    fosey" said:
    looks like an ultra boney fish....it kinda resembles a milkfish
    A few years ago I was invited to a fish farm near Lim Chu Kang end and saw that they were rearing this type of fish.
    Hundreds of them about 1-2 feet long. Actually they were changing the fishes from Cage A to Cage B. So that Cage A can be cleaned.
    I ask the boss, he says its for export to Philippines.
    My opinion, this type of fish taste good if you cook it with salted vegetables for many hours.
This discussion has been closed.
TRIPS
© Copyright 2016